Best Guess for transport between Paint Pots & Floe Trailheads - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
CEB
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking
Default Best Guess for transport between Paint Pots & Floe Trailheads

In a non-Covid year probably not a big problem but I’m trying to figure my best option for my trip in a few weeks. I’m starting at the Paint Pots and ending (hopefully) at Floe as I got the bonus thru-hike sites and I’ve never done it before.

I’m driving 5-6 hrs the first day so i booked Helmet/Ochre Campsite so that I’d have a bunch of time to move my vehicle, if needed. I’m trying to decide if I move it to Floe Lake and try to hitchhike back with Mask and open window or if I park at Numa (if that trailhead parking is open due to the trail being closed) and split the difference and just hike 1/2 distance both ways? My last night is at Floe Lake and I’ve heard that’s a fairly quick hike out so lots of time there too? I can’t recall what that section of road is like but I seem to recall it being pretty flat. I’m not COVID paranoid but I’m certainly COVID respectful so the hike option might be something I most comfortable with unless it’s a nasty road walk

i could also stash a bike if I could find a cheap one to borrow but that’s not entirely leave no trace but, recognizing that and doing the least impact, I can live with that I think.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Summit Master

Hike is not feasible option. Its just too long. Bicycle might but it's a drag. Last yr I had no problems hitching a ride from Floe (where I left the car) to Paint Pots where I started the hike. Should work this year even with COVID, just don't hitchike on the highway. Floe TH is so busy someone is constantly going in/out. Just approach someone leaving & ask, telling them you have mask if they are concerned.

Whatever you do, solve the transport problem before the hike, not after. It's much worse to worry about that when you are back all tired, sweaty and dirty than at the beginning. Always hike towards the car, not away from the car. And tell us how it went and post a report
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I would be interested to hear the solution you end up going with as well as I am doing the Rockwall Sep 7-10. On the very slim chance your dates are exactly the same we can work something out obviously!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Scaling New Heights

I'll be southbound Sep 16-20 if that helps, and will also be negotiating travel between trailheads.

Scott Meadows
esmeadows@gmail.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
CEB
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the ride coordination offers but my hike is late August.

I think I needed to type and post my scenario to be able to read it and clearly find my solution. While I’ve desperately wanted to do the whole trail (or any of it) for awhile the reality is that, due to current family health issues, I really have no business being away from home for 4 nts right now. Adding in hitch hiking during COVID makes it even more irresponsible for me. Having said that, I desperately need to “run away” for just a few days so I think the answer is still a win- I’m going to reduce my permit to be Day 1: Paint Pots - Helmet, Day 2: Helmet - Tumbling then Day 3: hike out Tumbling back to my car then home. Quick and not the leisurely trip I had planned but a compromise I think I can live with. The extra bonus will be being able to carry a light pack.

I’ll get back to do the full trail one day when responsibilities are less. I’ve recently found myself to be a little obsessed with the GDT so I think a section hike from Shark Trailhead to Field next year would be fairly easy to acheive (with permit planning)and then I’d get to do the rest of the Rockwall. But that’s my “shiney” thing for next year.

Thanks for offering ideas and letting me vent/iron out my life. Not my favourite year (like many of you, I’m sure!)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 01:27 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Been meaning to ask a related question about the Rockwall that I may as well tack onto this thread:

Do I need to pick up a backcountry permit in addition to the backcountry camping reservations I made on the PC website? I am seeing some vaguely-worded information about backcountry permits on the KNP website, but nothing concrete about whether they are distinct from the camping reservations or where to get them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 08:36 PM
Scaling New Heights

You book on the website, pay the fee and that's it, except for entrance fee to the park. I always get an annual pass.

Scott Meadows
esmeadows@gmail.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeadows View Post
You book on the website, pay the fee and that's it, except for entrance fee to the park. I always get an annual pass.

For parks general access, annual pass is naturally what makes most sense. But Backcountry Wilderness Pass has been discontinued since 2018.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
CEB
Headed for the Mountains

@jbs02002 your email from PCconfirmations will have the following in it somewhere: “This letter serves as your backcountry camping permit. You are required to have a copy with you at all times while camping in the park and must be prepared to present it to park staff if requested”

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page