User Tag List

4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:24 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeadows View Post
Hmmm, you're suggesting that Per scramble over Quartzite Col or Mosquito Col? Right. Maybe he could add a little extra travel insurance.

The official trail passes through North Molar Pass, Pipestone Pass and Clearwater Pass and is 30 km in length.

One could go over "Mosquito Col" or Quartzite Col with the latter being the more direct route. I managed to do that and then still summit Mt Willingdon(an official 11,000er) by late afternoon. I'm not suggesting Per does that but bottom line is that it's totally realistic to be able to reach Devon Lakes in a day. I'm assuming one has rudimentary map reading skills combined with terrain evaluation ability. Happy trails wherever you may wander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:06 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Fishing, Camping, Hockey

I haven't done Wapiabi Gap but I've visited Blackstone Gap twice.

https://imgur.com/gallery/066py
post #48 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Per
Banned

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Per
Banned

Default Tips on Backcountry places in Jasper national park?

Hello,

So, my wife and I are going to the Canadian rookies in Alberta, we have booked a trip for 3 weeks.

We are now thinking about booking campsites in backcountry areas in Jasper, for 2-3 days. Maybe 31 august - 2 (or 3) September.

Tonquin Valley seems very nice, but the only campsites available is Switchback and Astoria.

I guees highlight is Amethyst lake, right?

But problem seems to be that from Switchback campground there is something like 7 km to Amethyst lake, and 7 km back to the campsite. So that is something like 14 km back and forth, to have to go back to sleep at Switchback campground, and it gets dark quite early at the day, at that time of the year? Maybe it will just be back and forth and stressful and we probably can't spend so much about the highlight there? Or are their great places near Switchback campground we could go to instead of Amethyst lake?

So maybe we should choose another place for 2-3 days backcountry in Jasper? Or do you think it still can be done?

The other places are, as there seem to be many places left to book: Athabasca Pass Trail, Brazeau Trail, Fiddle River Trail, Fortress Lake Trail, Fryatt Valley Trail, Geraldine Lakes Trail, Jacques Lake Trail, North Boundary and Celestine Lake Trails, Saturday Night Lake Loop Trail, Skyline Trail, and South Boundary Trail: https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/Jasper%...mpsites%3fList

Have you guys been to thease places, and could you recomend some of the places? And offer some advice and tips? Would be grateful.

We are going to see a lot of nice lakes, with forests and mountains, it will be great, but thinking that maybe some variation to that also could be fun, and Tonquin Valley Trail seem to be a different place, with more open landscapes etc.

Is there another such place around that you can recommend, which might be equivalent or similar to Tonquin Valley area?

Thanks.

Last edited by Per; 05-04-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:58 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I did Tonquin Valley last year - one suggestion I have would be to check the ACC hut (Wates-Gibson hut) as they might have availability. If you base at the ACC hut you don't have to bring a tent, sleeping pads or cooking gear so you can travel light and fast. Hike into the hut on the first day, 2nd day explore around amethyst lakes, eremite valley, or the cirque above the hut below bennington (I'd suggest adding another day and doing at least two of these). Last day hike out.

I've also hiked Skyline trail and would definitely recommend it if it's still available.

Brazeau loop is supposed to be amazing and I hope to get around to it in the next few years. It's less busy so there should still be availability.

Another hike I had booked last year but had to cancel due to weather was tangle creek - nigel creek. This is random camping so it will be completely empty. Here is a TR for the trail: https://forums.clubtread.com/130-can...igel-pass.html looks amazing too!
post #51 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Per
Banned

Thank you dpdp.

Yes, Brazeau loop maybe could be an alternative, there is still campgrounds available there.

What about Berg Lake?

There is camground available on Kinney Lake. Do you guys think it would be possible and worth it to camp at Kinney Lake and then hikes over the day to Berg Lake and then back? Or you think it is to fare away from Kinney like? Maybe it will be stressful? Just go there, and go back before it gets dark?
post #52 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:08 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I think your Berg lake idea is possible, but probably not worth it.

I would suggest trying the following (in order):
1) Tonquin Valley by staying at the acc hut
2) Skyline trail if there is availability
3) Brazeau loop

Any of these hikes will be amazing and worth while. I suggest booking soon if there is still availability because it won't last long.
post #53 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Per
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdp View Post
I think your Berg lake idea is possible, but probably not worth it.

I would suggest trying the following (in order):
1) Tonquin Valley by staying at the acc hut
2) Skyline trail if there is availability
3) Brazeau loop

Any of these hikes will be amazing and worth while. I suggest booking soon if there is still availability because it won't last long.

Thank you again dpdp.

I think Brazeau loop is the only option of those, the other are not realy available.

Is there something similar or equivalent to these above in Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, and Kananaskis that you can recommend?
post #54 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I am mostly familiar with Jasper. I would recommend for you to book Brazeau loop although I have not done it myself.

I think that Banff and Kootenay will also be all booked by now. Probably in Yoho as well.
There are many people on here who know more about Kananaskis than I do, but it is a good option because not everything will be booked yet. You could check Mt Assiniboine (likely to be fully booked already). Another options I've considered (I'm also thinking of hiking there this summer if I can make it) is South to North Kananaskis Passes loop, I don't think it's booked up yet: https://forums.clubtread.com/31-albe...ass-trail.html.
post #55 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Kananaskis only books 90 days in advance, so there is still time. I'd recommend hiking into Three Isle Lake for the first night, loop through height of the rockies from the South Kananaskis Pass to the North Kananaskis Pass, stay the second night at Turbine and hike out the third day. Some route finding will be needed on the BC side, but its a nice loop. Northover Ridge is also an option, but does have some exposure on the ridge.
post #56 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Per
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Kananaskis only books 90 days in advance, so there is still time. I'd recommend hiking into Three Isle Lake for the first night, loop through height of the rockies from the South Kananaskis Pass to the North Kananaskis Pass, stay the second night at Turbine and hike out the third day. Some route finding will be needed on the BC side, but its a nice loop. Northover Ridge is also an option, but does have some exposure on the ridge.

Thank you kellymcdonald78. Seems like good places.

But do you think it will not be difficult to find somewhere to park the rental car? Can not drive on gravel roads only paved roads.

Do you think upper Kananaskis lake area could be a good alternative?
post #57 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

The Highway into Kananaskis (Highway 40) and the road to the Interlakes trailhead is fully paved
Per likes this.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page