Recommendation for backcountry trails - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Still trying to figure out a potential itinerary for a trip at the end of august (assuming inter-province travel will be allowed...). On Rockwall trail Helmet Falls is booked up. What do people think of:
Day 1) Tumbling creek trail to Tumbling creek campsite
Day 2) Out and back over Rockwall pass, return to Tumbling campsite
Day 3) Tumbling to Numa campsite
Day 4) Numa to Floe lake
Day 5) out
? Mostly interested in feedback on Days 1 and 2 as I haven't seen reports of anyone doing this.

(Other option is to take it easy and just do: Baker lake, Red deer lakes x2, baker lake. I don't know anything about that area in Banff...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 03:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

There's also the Helmet/Ochre junction campsite. Not far in but you did at least a bit. Generally I would book campsites and check back, it's possible to change the reservation - fee for sure but marginal.

Same with Skoki. But Baker Lake is my least favorite campsite there.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

@Kokanee75 thanks for that! I will book and then probably change as you suggest (or cancel if inter-provincial travel is not possible).

I don't know anything about the Skoki area, is it worth visiting, are there 3-4 days of hikes or easy scrambles based from the camp sites there? Why don't you recommend Baker Lake, what sites in the area do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 01:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I love the Skoki area. Sure, Merlin Meadows is probably the nicest and has options for daytrips. I never stayed at Baker lake, frequent complaints about bugs and mosquitoes being the worst there and the campsite is just a bigger dirt space. The lakes in the area are lovely, don't miss Zigadenus and Myosotis Lakes. Red Deer Lakes is not as bad as people often claim I would say. Even an option for a little dip in the river not far away and not that many people. I also liked Hidden Lake, I guess you have a good chance to get a spot there as well, on the way in or out.

I was juggling with campsites the last days as well, we will return the same way from Floe lake and hike out over Tumbling Creek to get back to the car (the final stretch from-to Floe Lake is not overly exciting anyways, I guess walking back the same way up there is more interesting and solves the logistic problem)

Last edited by Kokanee75; 06-26-2020 at 01:48 AM.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:24 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdp View Post
Still trying to figure out a potential itinerary for a trip at the end of august (assuming inter-province travel will be allowed...
Are you Albertan? I’m from BC and have this trip booked this year. The weird part of the BC Parks for BC residents is that BC is entering Stage 3 in which we’re actually inviting Albertans to travel to BC. I live in the Okanagan in an area where a good chunk of the homes (including the ones right beside me who I really enjoy as neighbours) are Albertan second homes. While it seems ideal to have everyone stay at home there’s definitely a mental health and economic balance that I think BC is acknowledging so maybe that will change the BC Parks reservation mandate.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
Are you Albertan?
No - in Ontario, try to get out to the Rockies at least once every year for my sanity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
there’s definitely a mental health and economic balance
CEB likes this.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 09:35 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdp View Post
Still trying to figure out a potential itinerary for a trip at the end of august (assuming inter-province travel will be allowed...). On Rockwall trail Helmet Falls is booked up. What do people think of:
Day 1) Tumbling creek trail to Tumbling creek campsite
Day 2) Out and back over Rockwall pass, return to Tumbling campsite
Day 3) Tumbling to Numa campsite
Day 4) Numa to Floe lake
Day 5) out
? Mostly interested in feedback on Days 1 and 2 as I haven't seen reports of anyone doing this.

(Other option is to take it easy and just do: Baker lake, Red deer lakes x2, baker lake. I don't know anything about that area in Banff...)

For Day 2, I would recommend extending the route to the summit of Limestone Shoulder, and descend a very short distance toward Helmet Falls to see dramatic views of Sentry Peak and S. Goodsir. Tumbling to Limestone is the best section of The Rockwall.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks @JHector sounds like a good idea!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page