Southesk Lake from Jasper South Boundary - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Southesk Lake from Jasper South Boundary

I was skiing in Jasper this week (yeah it was cold!) and stopped in at the information centre to discuss summer hikes. The helpful gentleman suggested a loop hike entering Jasper NP via Rocky Pass, then following the South Boundary Trail, branching at the Southesk River up to Southesk Lake. The return is via Rocky River to Medicine Tent River then out again via Rocky Pass.

Anyone ever hiked this route? The Parks fellow told me that a horse outfitter had been following this route annually and removing deadfall to keep it open. It doesn't appear on Parks maps, although the topo map shows the route. I'm sure this would be great for scenery and solitude, but trail conditions are important. My info centre friend told me that the outfitter usually goes through in August with a chain saw.

Scott

Scott Meadows
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 11:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

hey Scott, I'm eyeing that one up too. Did you ever make it? Don't have much more info than you did at the time of this post. Heard there's beta for it though. Gps coordinates to follow. Just don't know who has it.

Cheers J
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I have not gone there yet. Still on the bucket list. There has been more discussion on this thread:

https://forums.clubtread.com/130-can...ary-trail.html

I'd still like to try it sometime. Lately I've had my eye on a Willmore western route entering at Sulphur Gates and traveling up to the GDT for a 7-day lollipop route.

It has been hard to plan any of these unbridged routes because of the crazy water levels this year. Current levels on the Smoky make the Willmore route look doable.

Scott Meadows
[email protected]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page