Winter Backpacking Ideas - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Winter Backpacking Ideas

I'm an experienced 3-season backpacker looking for recommendations for a 1 night winter backpacking trip in the Rockies with some friends. Looking for something with low avalanche risk and within about 2 hours driving time of Calgary. Last winter we snowshoed into The Point campground in Kananaskis and really enjoyed it. Loved that they provided fire wood at that campsite so we could have a fire. Are there any other trails you would recommend? A few options that come to mind are Lake Minnewanka, somewhere along Highway 66 past the winter gates (either walking, snowshoeing, or biking the road depending on snow conditions), or Quaite Valley. I'm sure there are other options but I can't find much info on winter backpacking online. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 03:20 PM
Summit Master

Egypt lake. 1.5hr drive from YYC, low avalanche danger & there is also park shelter if you don't want to sleep in tent

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...ns-ideas/egypt
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

For the past 3 years we've done the ACC Hut in Elk Lakes Provincial Park around Christmas. Snowshoe or X-Country ski in from Peter Lougheed and spend the night in a toasty cabin.

Rummel Lake off Spray Lakes is another great place. The campground is only open in the winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Egypt lake. 1.5hr drive from YYC, low avalanche danger & there is also park shelter if you don't want to sleep in tent

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...ns-ideas/egypt

Is the preferred route in winter to go in via Sunshine or Healy Creek?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Summit Master

Healy creek is normal way. It has ski tracks & is often hard packed. Last February I booted most of the way & put snowshoes only after trail exited to meadows below Healy Pass. Sunshine is much longer & doesn't really make sense, although I guess you could get free ride up with season pass, then ski over.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Healy creek is normal way. It has ski tracks & is often hard packed. Last February I booted most of the way & put snowshoes only after trail exited to meadows below Healy Pass. Sunshine is much longer & doesn't really make sense, although I guess you could get free ride up with season pass, then ski over.
Have the opportunity to head out with my son this weekend for an overnight. Trying to find someplace fairly easy (8-10km) that doesn't go into avalanche terrain. Thinking heading up Spray Lakes way towards Marvel Lake
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Summit Master

That's not bad plan. I'd simply overnight at Bryant shelter & Marvel lake is lcose
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
For the past 3 years we've done the ACC Hut in Elk Lakes Provincial Park around Christmas. Snowshoe or X-Country ski in from Peter Lougheed and spend the night in a toasty cabin.

Rummel Lake off Spray Lakes is another great place. The campground is only open in the winter

Rummel Lake doesn't provide anything except an outhouse. Quite expensive in comparison to Elk Lakes Campground (Lower Elk Lake) which is very nice (the trail over West Elk Pass is nicer than the Power line - Frozen Lake you have to check the conditions). I don't know whether they provide fire wood all winter - at least 2-3 weeks ago there were a few logs left. Or take it from the cabin supply, maybe it is meant to be like this.

Last edited by Kokanee75; 12-07-2018 at 12:44 AM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Summit Master

agreed about Rummel Lake, it also makes little sense as overnight considering it is no more than 3 hrs (return) from the road.

Elk Lakes is great winter destination. Here is great report:

http://explor8ion.com/snowshoe/elk-lakes.html

Interesting to note that author recommends snowshoeing as opposed to x-country skiing, specially as Elk Pass is trackset and classic winter x-country trip in Peter Lougheed. Argument is that snowshoes allow much better mobility for further exploration from the cabin.

Here is my own pic x-country skiing at Raspberry Junction few winters back. This is 45min to an hour from parking and 30-40min before Elk Pass. Peak upper left is The Turret and great easy-moderate scramble
Click image for larger version

Name:	raspberryjunctionbench.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	264546
kellymcdonald78 likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 12-07-2018 at 03:16 PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM
Headed for the Mountains

That's the great tea time stop! The trails to the Upper Lake and a viewpoint are obviously packed.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for all the suggestions! Elk Lake campground looks promising since it would be nice to be able to have a fire.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page