Tonquin valley trail access - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdp View Post
Can anyone suggest good sidetrails, bushwhacks, and scrambles off the Tonquin valley trail?
Links to pages with information or descriptive trip reports are appreciated.

Thanks!

all sorts but I have no idea of you or your party's ability much less your time commitment, nor when you're scheduled to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks! Any links to trail descriptions and trip reports would be good.

We'll be spending 4 days on the trail, so we should have about two days to do side trails. We'll be there in mid-August. In terms of ability we should be able to do about 20-25km with 1000m elevation gain and loss per day.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the reply - not sure it's relevant for us: we're three flying in from out of province/country without bikes (I guess we could rent?) and not all equally comfortable biking in mountains. Also we've already booked since as far as I can tell Parks isn't letting anyone on the road without a booking at the hostel/hut.

(For some reason I can't find the things I've posted and I don't get notifications if they are answered - any ideas how to fix this? eg I just saw this response by chance, and I posted another question at the same time about side trails off Tonquin valley and now I can't find it again to see if anyone else answered!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Thanks for the reply - not sure it's relevant for us: we're three flying in from out of province/country without bikes (I guess we could rent?) and not all equally comfortable biking in mountains. Also we've already booked since as far as I can tell Parks isn't letting anyone on the road without a booking at the hostel/hut.
Your hut reservation still holds -- everything as originally planned, except that you bike down the road and start hiking from opposite end on your 1st day instead of start hiking right away. But renting bikes would complicate things. I just believe, even without transportation issues, ccw loop (Portal in, Astoria out) is better than the other way around

Quote:
(For some reason I can't find the things I've posted and I don't get notifications if they are answered - any ideas how to fix this? eg I just saw this response by chance, and I posted another question at the same time about side trails off Tonquin valley and now I can't find it again to see if anyone else answered!)

You posted your questions at the Trip Reports Forum which is wrong place. They have been moved to general discussion forum: https://forums.clubtread.com/162-can...ockies-hiking/

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
I just believe, even without transportation issues, ccw loop (Portal in, Astoria out) is better than the other way around
I don't know why I had in my head to do it the other direction, but I'm not sure we could switch around the days we'll be at the different campsites at this point, and not sure we'd really be allowed to go up astoria trailhead with our car and a taxi if that's how we're doing it.

Quote:
You posted your questions at the Trip Reports Forum which is wrong place. They have been moved to general discussion forum:
Thanks for clarifying this, I'll be sure to make sure everything is in the right place from now on.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:49 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
I don't know why I had in my head to do it the other direction, but I'm not sure we could switch around the days we'll be at the different campsites at this point, and not sure we'd really be allowed to go up astoria trailhead with our car and a taxi if that's how we're doing it.

Yes, I forgot backcountry campground reservation issue. That's ok, you will still have a great trip. Hope the weather is great; let us know how it was when you come back

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page