Berg lake area hiking - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Berg lake area hiking

I'm wondering if there are trails/routes past Berg lake that are higher elevation and less busy.
Specifically, looking at the attached backcountry map from Jasper NP website, is there a route connecting the trails circled in red? How does the Moose river trail connect into the trails on this map?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	berg lake area.png
Views:	102
Size:	524.4 KB
ID:	248473  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The trail at the bottom of the circle ends there at Snowbird Pass. The moose river trail connects with the North Boundary trail about 5.0 north of Moose Pass. There are numerous crossings of the Moose River if you're going in that way.

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-25-2018 at 02:44 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I once met a pair who hiked to Snowbird Pass from Robson Pass camp, then descended the Coleman Glacier and its outflow on the north side, crossing the outflow stream (Yates Torrent) near the intersection of the Moose Pass trail and the North Boundary Trail. Of course, at that time there was a rickety bridge over the Torrent, but today I believe you would have to ford to get back to the Moose Pass trail (or descend the outflow's south side). That trail joins the NBT after crossing the Smoky River, which is quite small at that point, on a large log. Return to Robson Pass makes a long day trip.

Last edited by JHector; 02-26-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:17 PM
CEB
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

What does busy mean to you? I did Berg on the July long weekend last year. It was busy from the trailhead to Kinney, but after that numbers weren't really busy but I did see people every 30 mins. Once up to Berg Lake Campground I saw only 1 group on my Hargreaves Hike and had I been able to go to Snowbird Pass (they ended up opening it after the holiday wknd) I was more worried about not seeing anyone up there as I do like tosee a person here or there when I hike solo.

I think, for the majority (e.g.not people who are on this forum), just getting up toBerg lake is the hiking challenge then they don't venture far once they get there?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 02:48 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post

I think, for the majority (e.g.not people who are on this forum), just getting up toBerg lake is the hiking challenge then they don't venture far once they get there?
That is probably true to some extent, but some destinations (ie Toboggan) have trailheads right at the camp and are almost as busy as main trail

To escape (ever growing) crowds in such ultra popular area you must add elements of scrambling and/or off-trail exploration. Ridge above Toboggan cave is one such example:

Other option is venturing onto North Boundary. Immediately past Adolphus you leave all the nonsense behind and can have the whole thing pretty much to yourself
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

JHector - Thanks for the information! We're hoping to get to Marmot or Berg camp on the first day and then do Snowbird & Tatei pn the 2nd day and camp at adolphus. Doesn't seem to make too much sense to go all the way in and back along the snowbird trail if there is a route from there directly to adolphus. 3rd day we'll go further along the NBT or Moose river trail - happy to hear any suggestions about options here!

Last edited by dpdp; 02-26-2018 at 03:03 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

CEB - thanks!
We can only make it in mid-late August so at that point I guess the trail will be busy continuously to Berg lake and the campgrounds will be full. We don't mind that if it means we'll be able to get to more isolated areas by the second day.

zeljkok - thanks for the tips, that looks amazing! Scrambling and off-trail exploration is what we're looking for, and we probably will head further along the NBT after the second day.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdp View Post
JHector - Thanks for the information! We're hoping to get to Marmot or Berg camp on the first day and then do Snowbird & Tatei on the 2nd day and camp at adolphus. Doesn't seem to make too much sense to go all the way in and back along the snowbird trail if there is a route from there directly to adolphus. 3rd day we'll go further along the NBT or Moose river trail - happy to hear any suggestions about options here!
If you decided to take the route from Snowbird down the Coleman Glacier, and then to Adolphus camp, another option would be to head up the Moose Pass trail and camp at Calumet campsite instead. This camp is about 6 km from the NBT/Moose Pass trail junction. Adolphus camp is 3 km S from the junction. From Calumet camp, it is 4 km to scenic Moose Pass, on good trail (much better than the lower section). So, you could hike to the pass next morning, then hike back to Adolphus or one of the camps in Robson P.P.

Moose Pass is one of the few places where you cross the Great Divide from west to east, going from Alberta to B.C.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:22 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdp View Post
Scrambling and off-trail exploration is what we're looking for, and we probably will head further along the NBT after the second day.
Here's another one for you. Everyone knows how fantastic Snowbird Pass is. Titkana peak is straightforward ascent from the pass, basically a walk up. Here is view from Titkana summit:

Ridge center left is called Tatei ridge. It is obviously traversed without much trouble. On the far end it drops to Adolphus Lake (and North boundary trail, just east of Robson Pass) -- as seen on this shot taken from the trail (Tatei ridge end upper right):

I was speculating loop would be possible, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. I know there is reasonably well defined trail on right (south) side of Adolphus lake. From there there would be some trashing lower down, then navigating through some rockbands but it might be doable. This kind of loop would guarantee you solitude for most of the day in one of grandest environments Rockies can offer.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

JHector, zeljkok, thanks for the useful advice and information!

Quote:
another option would be to head up the Moose Pass trail and camp at Calumet campsite instead. This camp is about 6 km from the NBT/Moose Pass trail junction. Adolphus camp is 3 km S from the junction. From Calumet camp, it is 4 km to scenic Moose Pass,
Quote:
I was speculating loop would be possible, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. I know there is reasonably well defined trail on right (south) side of Adolphus lake. From there there would be some trashing lower down, then navigating through some rockbands but it might be doable.
I think the final details of this trip are coming together - hike to Marmot or Berg Lake camps, then to Adolphus or Calumet through Snowbird and visiting Titkana and at least part of Tatei ridge, then up Moose Pass before heading back to Berg lake, Hargeaves and Toboggan the next day and then hike out.
I won't be able to access my maps of the area for a while so I've just been using what I can find online (happy to hear about any sites with good maps for free).

The descent from Tatei ridge looks scarily steep, I think I'd rather come down the gentler slope to the NE of the ridge or along the Coleman glacier as JHector suggested. I guess this second option connects to the trail marked no.158 on the map in my original post - but I'm not sure what this trail is, but I don't think it is the Moose River trail. I also can't find info about the Calumet camp site.

Would greatly appreciate any information or links to trail maps (or pictures of phyiscal maps) that can help me figure out 1) a safe route from Titkana/Tatei to Adolphus and/or to the Moose River trail and/or to trail no.158 , 2) the route of the Moose river trail and where exactly it connects to the trails on the above map 3) location and info about Calumet campsite 4) what is trail no.158 on the map?

Thanks for any help you are able to give!

Last edited by dpdp; 02-27-2018 at 04:07 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I don't think you want to attempt getting onto the Moose River trail, the trail that runs down from Moose Pass on the B.C. side. The Calumet Creek trail heads up to the pass from the Alberta side, and is indicated by the red dots in the attached picture. Trail 158 appears to indicate the start of the route from the Calumet/Smoky junction, up the Coleman Glacier to Snowbird Pass (blue dots on the map). Calumet camp is about 2/3 of the way between the junction and the pass, but you could probably camp anywhere in the large, flat area near the campsite. The site marked 81 is Adolphus camp.

I've attached a screenshot of a map available from GeoGratis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	robson pass.png
Views:	166
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	248697  

Attached Images

post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

JHector thanks! This is exactly the information I needed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page