Brazeau/White Goat Wilderness Questions - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Brazeau/White Goat Wilderness Questions

As wonderful as the Brazeau Loop trail is reported to be, I want more still. Everyone says a side hike to Cataract Pass is a must, but I'm looking at simply a bigger loop that would include the White Goat Wilderness Area (and Cataract Pass). Somebody on Alltrails posted this route, and I was hoping someone here could opine. Does this make sense? Is it doable?

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/re...u-wgwa-loop--2

Interesting that this trail drops into the Valley of the Lakes through a different pass than Cline - anyone know this pass?

Speaking of Alltrais, I'm looking for whoever posted this: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/re...-wilderness--2

They did a little something different than what I'm looking to do, but I'd love to chat with their navigator! He or she is sitting on a lot of knowledge I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Summit Master

I am not an expert on the area as I haven't been there yet in person, but based on some research I've done for my own purposes I think AllTrails loop is realistic. It is multi-day fairly serious backpack though, and you must know what you are doing.

Here is some beta of people that are well known in Rocky mountain community and used to contribute to this site, but now have left as they deem CT not worthy:

http://explor8ion.com/white-goat-wilderness
[This was scramble trip to Mt. Stewart and Mt. Willis in White Goat; tons of excellent info, Cataract/Cline approach and super cool shots of entire area, incl. Valley of the Lakes]

http://www.summitsearch.org/trip_rep...-mount-stewart
[Same trip for different perspective; Eric is one of most knowledgeable Rockies explorers around (if not THE most knowledgeable), and publisher of printed guidebook. Your best bet is directly contacting him; link will be somewhere on his website above. He doesn't come to CT anymore]

http://mattclay.zenfolio.com/cataract_pass_cline_pass
[Only Cataract/Cline, but outstanding photography and probably best info I've seen around in terms of approach to Valley of the Lakes, incl. GPS track you can download. I think Matt has link somewhere to some other beta he gathered about the area that might cover Valley of the Lakes <---> Brazeau link]

Finally you can contact lobo (CT User Name) here on Club Tread. He knows Jasper and Icefields inside out & has hiked many times to Cataract & Cline. He is more than happy to share the info.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:22 PM
Hittin' the Trails

If you hike over Jonas Pass to Jonas Cutoff, as in your first link, another option is to take the route from Poboktan Pass over to Brazeau River via a high pass near Flat Ridge. This avoids the section of the Brazeau Loop that descends John John Creek to Brazeau Lake. The route intersects the main trail about 4 km below Four Point camp, and from that point you can either head up around the north side of Afternoon Peak, or hike up Cline Creek to Cline Pass and Cataract Pass, as in your 2nd link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks - I'll be reaching out to all of these folks. The two big unknowns are the descent from the pass northwest of Cline into the Valley of the Lakes (can it be done safely), and the terrain once in the Valley. Is it miles of torture? Do I even want to do it? From pictures and trip reports I think I have everything else figured out.

I didn't know a different route from Poboktan Pass to the river was even an option. Looking forward to researching that. Fortunately planning these trips is almost as fun as doing them!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, car camping, aviation

I have scrambled up to that cole overlooking the valley of the lakes and would say that you want to be a pretty proficient scrambler to be taking a heavy pack over that thing. The Cline Pass side is very steep, sofa sized boulders that nearly form staircase like condition, but lots of them move. We had planned on exploring into the Valley of the Lakes side but the down climb on that side didn’t look worth it to us so we chose another objective. From what you can see from the cole the terrain in the upper valley seemed to be all rock, many many tarns, with several steps, you may find ways to hike up but I suspect a lot of scrambling would be involved. To clarify though, I didn’t actually climb down there so this is speculation from a viewpoint on the top of the ridge.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks Albertan22 - that's the kind of feedback I'm after. It's funny, climbers have told me it's easy (just don't dislodge a boulder), others have said pretty much the same as you. I'm a pretty adventurous hiker, and I think I'd give it a go, but I'll be leading a small group. My game plan is to hike them up there (spread out so no one sends a boulder down onto someone), let them peer in and decide what they want to do. If it's a no go we'll retreat to the Brazeau river and do the loop the old fashioned way. At least we will have gotten to see Cataract and Cline passes.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, car camping, aviation

My wife and I had no problem getting up there without packs on, but I know it would be a lot different with 50 pounds on your back.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page