Berg Lake Trail questions! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default any advice on berg lake

================================================== =============
This is generic thread for Berg Lake (Mount Robson) Trail Hiking discussion. Please do not open separate thread if you have a question/inquiry -- instead read this thread, and if you don't find the answer simply reply with your question.
================================================== =============

so ive decided on berg lake as my destination for the only time off i get in the summer. aug.12th is when i start the vacation.

first of all does anyone have any usefull info on the park in general ie. should i worry about reserving a spot to camp etc.

aswell im having trouble deciding how to get there. i live in coq. so im looking at about 9-10 hours of driving to get to the destination.
would it be wise to say stop in kamloops and make the rest of the trek the next day?
or would i be better off doing it all in one day, staying at a cheap motel/camp/sleep in my car, and then starting the trail bright and early the next day.

i dont know if anyone can understand what im getting at, if not, my apologies.

thanks in advance,

-Andrew

The best signature ever

Last edited by zeljkok; 08-26-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

It's an extremely popular trail with limited campsites. Some of the campsites are reservable in advance, but those are likely already booked up. You can try though. The thing to do is to show up very early (like 6am or maybe even earlier) at the office, before it opens. You might find yourself waiting in line anyway. So I would suggest camping out at the trailhead the night before and getting an early start. This is just based on my experience the last time I did this trip. Maybe things have changed and others could give you a better idea of what to expect.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

i don't know if you're backpacking it or doing it as a LONG day hike.
lot's of info here though:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...robs/berg.html

For Berg lake best to have a reservation if you can get one. It's a busy time of year.

I sometimes like getting up early and driving to the rockies in one shot, the last time we left Fri after work so we dropped in and camped at LacLeJeune just before Kamloops. Depends on your comfort level and how much time you have.

side trip from Berg, I only did Toboggan falls... I was little then and thought it was really cool.

=)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, making wine, reading

I see from my calendar that the 12th is a Sunday, so you may have better luck with a weekday reservation than a weekend. I see thru your Discovery BC website you can reserve Berg Lake by phone (604)689-9025. I would book if you could.

The Berg Lake Campground is a pretty rigorous 6 hr or so hike, so you can determine if that is do-able based on your fitness. Your other option is to hike as far as Whitehorn (about 60% of the way and before the most significant vertical gain), camp there and strike off for Berg the next day.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

also,

any suggestions on which site to camp at? i was thinking berg lake would be the best one, unless i have to hit up the site before it due to a lack of time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Yeah anything along Berg lake is good for camping if you want to do a day hike (like Snowbird Pass, which I HIGHLY recommend). I've done Snowbird pass from the Emperor falls campground before, but it made for a pretty long day.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Summit Master

Been there twice and both times I phoned ahead to reserve a spot.If you are going to drive all that way you need to spend a few days doing this trip.
I suggest staying at this place in Clearwater.
http://www.clearwaterlodge.bcresorts...kka=TravelInBC
The food however is better at this place (unless you can get a room overlooking the pool.)
http://www.clearwatercountryinnandrvpark.com/
From Clearwater it's an easy drive to Robson after breakfast. If you are humping in full packs Whitehorn Camp will be a good place to stop for the first night. After that it's a slog up to Berg lake camp, which I think is the best one to make a home base at.
On the way out both times I stayed the night at Kinney Lake and hiked out in the morning. You can go for an eary am swim or hit the 'hot' showers at Robson campground before driving home.
Do a search here and you will find my trip report along with several others.
I reserved both times in August and didn't have a problem but you should do it soon !!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

If you're in decent shape I would definitely go beyond Whitehorn (Whitehorn really isn't very far to go in a day). There's substantial elevation gain after Whitehorn (up to Emperor Falls), but you'll get more bang for your (time) buck if you get up to Berg lake in a day.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Summit Master

True enough retep,but then I'm 30 years older than you and my pack was 55lbs.
The section between Whitehorn & Emperor falls has a lot of eye candy so it makes the grunt worth it.Plenty of places to stop and rest.If you are"young and fit" Emperor falls has some great spots by the river and from there it's an easy walk to the lake.I guess my thinking is why rush?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Hittin' the Trails

if/When I do Berg lake again... I'd leave early 7am-ishand make the push for marmot camp or berg lake camp. The reason being I spent three days up top and didn't have enough time to explore all I wanted to see.

That said, it is 21KM to the Berg Lake campsite. And the trail between Whitehorn and Emperor is indeed pretty gnarly.

You must do snowbird pass. It is, in a word, breathtaking!

No matter what you do though, you will enjoy this hike. It is, despite the crowds (which are never really that bad), amazing.

I did it the 12th-16th of August a few years back, good time to go...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 02:23 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

I've done the trip to Berg 3 times and never had a reservation and had no problem getting my sites. Berg c/g has 26 sites and as mentioned you will be there mid-week so I have doubts it will be that much problem getting your picks.
The office opens around 8 am, and if you want to get to the top of Emperor Falls before the heat of the day sets in try doing the Parks intro video and booking thing as early as you can.Last time(2yrs.ago)I was there the video was mandatory, unless you had been there before.
As mentioned, the first part to Whitehorn is fairly easy hiking and Whitehorn is a great spot for a descent rest break before starting the 500 metre hill to Emperor Falls. After you reach the campsite(Emperor)the trail quickly turns back to an easier and more gradual ascent to Berg camp.
A great day trip other than snowbird pass would be to hike the Hargreaves/Mumm basin route and take in the cave above Toboggan Falls. Great views are all around you. And if your feeling a tad trail weary, you could just head over to Adolphus lake for a nice swim.
Hope this helps, and have a great time.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, making wine, reading

As Darren mentioned the route from Emperor to Berg is relatively flat. Plus there is the added bonus of a kitchen cabin for inclement weather at Berg.

To me you either stop at Whitehorn or blast past Emperor and head for Berg. So if you are late starting Whitehorn is a good target, but personally I would get an early start and shoot for Berg. I celebrated my 40th b-day there last time I did Berg and it took me just under 6 hrs from trailhead, but having done the trail several times I took just the usual munchy breaks. I would say I am in average shape so you can figure your time accordingly.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

wow, so much info, thanks alot guys this is quite helpful indeed!!

so i need to drive 9 hours,
im off work at 330 on the saturday, should i wait till sunday and do the drive in one day and start hiking on the monday, or do half the drive saturday, the other half sunday and only a little hiking on sunday
thats my biggest concern lol.

im deffinantly going to do mumm basin and snowbird pass. can i do the cave,toboggen and mumm basin all in one day? then possibly snowbird pass in another day?

keep the info coming, its great!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

We highly recommend taking a bike as far as Kinney Lake. Might be a bit of a pain getting in with a full pack, but definately worth the effort on the way out!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:can i do the cave,toboggen and mumm basin all in one day? then possibly snowbird pass in another day?
Yes. The trail head for Toboggen is just a few meters north of the Berg CC. Cross a little bridge and head straight up to your left. You'll come to a juntion for Mumm. keep going up hill to the cave , then swing back down to join the trail. Or head back out of berg the other way and pick up the Mumm trail on your right. either way it makes a nice loop.Snowbird should be left to do on its own as it is a bit long and there is lots to see.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page