Berg Lake Trail questions! - Page 5 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

To answer more directly your question: I believe all kinds of things happen. There is a ranger station up there (between Rearguard and Robson Pass), but it is not always occupied + ranger has probably better things to do than act as policeman.

Last year in June I booked me 2 nights @ Rearguard and paid at Center. Robson Pass was showing as 5 reservations -- it was totally empty. I decided I'd stay another night @ Rearguard for which I didn't pay for; no problems, had entire thing to myself and simply gave them $10 CAD when I hiked out.

That being said, July + August are extraordinarily busy (with Europeans in particular) & going up without reservation with hope that someone that booked won't show up is not recommended.
Thank you! What we really donīt want is to meet other Europeans... like us...
I think there is a wide range of "busy", what does it mean here? How many people do you usually meet in July on this trail? 10, 30... 200?

With that picture you answered another question before I asked it (how large are those tent pads).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossi View Post
I think there is a wide range of "busy", what does it mean here? How many people do you usually meet in July on this trail? 10, 30... 200?

On a sunny summer weekend it will be over 200. This is prime reason why I don't like Berg Lake Campground -- too many people, some of them loud, inconsiderate, etc. But on shoulder season, midweek -- if you get lucky with weather -- it can really be magical, the way it is supposed to be.

Don't let any of this deter you. Go with open mind and enjoy. Since you are dayhiking from Whitehorn you can do very nice loop. Follow main trail to Berg Lake (with mandatory side trip to Emperor Falls). Note marked junction at Marmot Campground. This is where your loop will end. Proceed to Berg Lake Campground , then take Toboggan Falls trail. It branches off near the shelter. Follow up, then when you reach junction go left (Hargreaves):

This will eventually bring you back to main trail at Marmot campground, but you will have some awesome views of Berg Lake from above:

as well as Hargreaves glacier, that 90% of Berg Lake backpackers don't see:

This part will be considerably less busy and will feel like real wilderness. Trail is good and you can't go wrong anywhere. Total for this loop from Whitehorn return should be 8-9 hours, with light daypack.
post #63 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
When are you doing Skyline in July. I'll be taking my kids 29-1
We will just miss....We are July 19 to 22.

Story of my life; Not all who wander are lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:06 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
This part will be considerably less busy and will feel like real wilderness. Trail is good and you can't go wrong anywhere. Total for this loop from Whitehorn return should be 8-9 hours, with light daypack.
Wow, great views! So, do I get this right: After our first night in Kinney Lake we could leave our heavy stuff in Whitehorn and then hike as you described? I didnīt think of leaving our stuff anywhere because the main reason for this stay is (was) training for chilkoot. But obviously itīs worth changing our plans.

I didnīt enter your suggestion into Garmin Basecamp yet, do you know how many km and height meters this tour would be (in addition to the 4 km with full packs from Kinney lake).? EDIT: Now I did: Itīs 23,6 km (including the 4 to Whitehorn) and about 950 hm. So should be possible for us. Thank you so much for this suggetsion! Are there any technical challenges like stream crossings or exposed sections?

Is it save and common to leave stuff in a camp e. g. at Whitehorn?

Last edited by kossi; 05-12-2018 at 06:24 AM.
post #65 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Summit Master

I thought you were camping at Whitehorn, not Kinney? Can you still make reservation @ Whitehorn?

I'd not leave stuff anywhere on the trail. Just leave it wherever you overnight. If Kinney, it is still possible to do the loop I described -- but it will be a long day. Still with light daypack should be ok if you are fit and days are long in July.

With moderate pace it would break down like this:

Kinney - Whitehorn: 1 hr
Whitehorn - Emperor Falls: 2.5 hrs (including breaks, photo stops and mandatory side trip to Emperor Falls)
Emperor Falls - Berg Lake: 2 hrs
Berg Lake lunch stop: 1 hr
Berg Lake - Toboggan Falls - Hargreaves - Marmot (loop): 3 hrs (including breaks and photo stops)
Marmot - Whitehorn - Kinney: 3.5 hrs (no breaks, just straight march downhill)

Total: 13 hrs Start 8 am, back by 9 pm. Just generic guideline of course, some of these parts can be done faster but I was leaving ample time for looking around, photos etc since you are first time in the area.
post #66 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
I thought you were camping at Whitehorn, not Kinney? Can you still make reservation @ Whitehorn?

I'd not leave stuff anywhere on the trail. Just leave it wherever you overnight. If Kinney, it is still possible to do the loop I described -- but it will be a long day. Still with light daypack should be ok if you are fit and days are long in July.

With moderate pace it would break down like this:

Kinney - Whitehorn: 1 hr
Whitehorn - Emperor Falls: 2.5 hrs (including breaks, photo stops and mandatory side trip to Emperor Falls)
Emperor Falls - Berg Lake: 2 hrs
Berg Lake lunch stop: 1 hr
Berg Lake - Toboggan Falls - Hargreaves - Marmot (loop): 3 hrs (including breaks and photo stops)
Marmot - Whitehorn - Kinney: 3.5 hrs (no breaks, just straight march downhill)

Total: 13 hrs Start 8 am, back by 9 pm. Just generic guideline of course, some of these parts can be done faster but I was leaving ample time for looking around, photos etc since you are first time in the area.

Sorry for late reply:

We have the first night at Kinney Lake (after a long drive) and the second in Whitehorn (after the tour to Berg Lake). These were the very last tent pads. So we could strat our tour to Berg Lake in the morning of the second day, set up the tent at Whitehorn (if someone left early) and then do the tour to Berg Lake with light gear). Another Option would be to go up to Berg Lake with full gear.
post #67 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:21 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

Looks more promising snow-wise than thought it might be this year.. From the Robson Website: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/mt_robson/

May 24, 2018: Berg Lake Trail conditions
The Berg Lake trail is almost completely snow free. Expect wet and muddy sections and that all side trails at higher elevations will still have lots of snow. Snowbird Pass is closed until July 1, 2018.

May 7, 2018: Opening dates
The Mount Robson Visitor Center is open starting on May 10, 2018. Please stop in for updated visitor information, interpretative displays and a great selection of gifts.

Robson Meadows, Robson Rivers and Lucerne campgrounds open on May 15, 2018. Please visit www.discovercamping.ca to book ahead, as these campgrounds are 100% reservable.
treord8 and Hiker_Rob like this.
post #68 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

It's surprising just how fast things are melting right now. Looking at recent Alberta snowpack reports on the divide, we're 2-3 weeks ahead of where things were last year at this time
post #69 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:40 AM
Summit Master

... and there is new snow now :=)

But I will repeat -- June might be best time for Berg Lake trail. Still not many crowds, and waterfalls full. Plus lake just thawing and some snow always adds to the scenery. 2nd part of September is good too but that .holds true for most of the Rockies Indian summer (if it happen). July and August -- stay away. Crowds, Bugs, Reservation nonsense, etc etc.
post #70 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

I really loved the high water last year (because there's bridges!). It was surprisingly hot late June. I prefer to hike in cooler weather.

I'm wondering if I should bring Microspikes this year for Snowbird Pass (July long) or does anyone already know the odds of needing them?
post #71 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 04:26 PM
Summit Master

You will run into snow patches & bring gaiters, but no need for spikes
CEB likes this.
post #72 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating

Its hard to say for July, it will depend a lot on the temps between now and then.

Current conditions off BC Parks site: "May 24, 2018: Berg Lake Trail conditions. The Berg Lake trail is almost completely snow free. Expect wet and muddy sections and that all side trails at higher elevations will still have lots of snow. Snowbird Pass is closed until July 1, 2018".

I'd agree gaiters would be a good suggestions, I dont think spikes would be required

Story of my life; Not all who wander are lost
post #73 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Just got back from spending 3 nights on the trail. Absolutely incredible area, loved everything about it. The trail is completely snow free, encountered patches of soft snow along the Mumm basin trail, as it was not yet July 1 we didnt do the snowbird trail but it did seem snow free all the way to the glacier back there.
CEB and Hiker_Rob like this.
post #74 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 PM
Scaling New Heights

Did it until today: Snowfree and very beautiful but very crowded. Kinney Lake was very nice but earplugs are a must due to the number of kids. Unfortunately there were closures between Tobboggan and Hargreaves Lake so we didnīt go up to there (although the direct path to the Hargreaves Lake was open, we wanted to go to Berg Lake Camp).
post #75 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:48 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Default Berg lake general questions

Hi
We have a week's vacation time at the end of the summer and are thinking of hiking Berg Lake - have to decide soon because it looks like it's getting booked up fast, so I have a few questions:

1) The backcountry fee seems to be $10/person per day - is it possible to get either a group/family permit or annual permit that would make this cheaper?

2) Is it possible to start the trail late in the day and camp at Kinney lake (it seems like they want you to check in before hiking - how late do they let you do this?)

3) If staying at the same site multiple nights is it possible to leave most of our gear there during the day - have there been reports of thefts in the area?

4) Is it recommended for early September or does the weather usually turn by then?

Thanks!

Last edited by dpdp; 11-05-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page