Berg Lake Trail questions! - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I did it last year and overnighted my time at the lake as well. Well worth it and as some others said, it's not much to get to Snowbird Pass or to the toe of the glacier. Hiking on it, of course, would require more caution and the suggested training would be beneficial unless you have absolute trust in your friend and their knowledge, etc. I'd also recommend the walk up toward the cave and Toboggan Falls. The views from there are quite nice. Hargreaves Glacier was underwhelming in my opinion, so if that was a thought, you'd be missing very little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating

June can be busy or slow depending on the weather and how good a spring it is. If you are travelling a ways to get there reservations will at least guarantee you a spot.

We usually overnight at Whitehorn on the way up and head straight out on the way back (Berg to trailhead), this gives us lots of time to take it easy and enjoy the scenery. You could get in to Berg Lake in a day but depending on your level of experience/fitness it could be pushing it, the distance is 21k each way (Berg camp to trailhead)

Kinney lake camp i would not recommend unless you have to, it is the tourist day tripper/overnighter spot and can be busy and loud. If you've got three nights I'd recommend 1 at Whitehorn on the way up and 2 at Berg.

Story of my life; Not all who wander are lost
post #48 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Scaling New Heights

Unfortunaely we have no choice, only Kinney lake and Whitehorn are available in July.

Sorry again for my English, but Iīm not sure if I understand the arrival procedures: Does the following mean, we have to be there one day prior to our trip? Or did they forget an "e" and we canīt pick up our permit more than one day prior to our departure?

"All hikers must check in at the Mount Robson Visitor Centre prior to departing on the trail. Staff will review the trail rules and show a mandatory orientation. The Mount Robson Visitor Centre operation hours are:
    • May 10 to June 14 from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
    • June 1 to a day after Labour Day from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
    • A day after Labour Day to Sept 30 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
    • Oct 1 to a day after Thanksgiving Day from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • You may register and obtain your camping permit for the Berg Lake Trail from noon to closing time on day prior at the Mount Robson visitor Centre.
  • Failing to register at the Visitor Centre will result in being evicted from the trail.
"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I suppose there is an e missing. You can get it the same day.
I would say Kinney Lake is very pretty. Whitehorn is windy and larger and kind of sad looking at the grey rock wall where there are barely any waterfalls anymore...
post #50 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for the quick reply! We now booked those 2 camp sites, the whole trip is planned as a kind of training for chilkoot, so hopefully the whitehorn will be ok.

No more waterfalls? Climate change?
post #51 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I suppose they say it depends on the season - but we were there in May. At least the name of the Valley is slightly exaggerated.
post #52 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:21 AM
Summit Master

There will be waterfalls; last winter had record snowfall & everything is pushed back 3-4 weeks

Agree with Kokanee75, Kinney is pretty. It just doesn't make much sense as overnight to break the trip as it is so close to TH

(btw it is 20 km to Berg camp, not 21 as Hiker Rob said. Rearguard is at 21 and Robson Pass at 22. Regardless, it will all be a zoo in July)
post #53 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

(btw it is 20 km to Berg camp, not 21 as Hiker Rob said. Rearguard is at 21 and Robson Pass at 22. Regardless, it will all be a zoo in July)
Definitely agree that it is super busy in July (and August). But I have to stick by my Garmin and the BC parks guides though with 21k to Berg lake, around 22k to Rearguard, it's just under 20k at Marmot Camp. Regardless it's totally worth it imho

post #54 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:39 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker_Rob View Post
But I have to stick by my Garmin and the BC parks guides though with 21k to Berg lake, around 22k to Rearguard, it's just under 20k at Marmot Camp. Regardless it's totally worth it imho
Your GPS is then either off, or you were wondering off the trail (i.e for Emperor Falls <---- not to be missed)
Here are detail distances from my GPS that agree with Patton/Robinson book:

0.0 - Trailhead
6.8 - Kinney CG
10.9 - Whitehorn CG
15.4 - Emperor CG
18.1 - Marmot CG (West end of Berg Lake)
20.2 - Berg Lake CG (Hargreaves Shelter)
21.3 - Rearguard CG
22.3 - Robson Pass CG
22.7 - Robson Pass (Jasper National Park boundary)

Note that it takes ~30 min to hike along the lake from Marmot to Hargreaves, which makes sense for 2.1 km distance. If it was just 1km as per your GPS, it would take much less.

But I agree, it is spectacular any way you slice it. I'm also thinking going again 2nd half of September to revisit Titkana/Snowbird. Here are 2 visuals from last June (2017) trip: I stayed 3 nights at Rearguard, hiking both in/out in a day:

kellymcdonald78 likes this.
post #55 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:17 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Close enough for me, its not about the distance but the adventure as i'm sure you'd agree

Some of my trips are with my daughter who is not a mountain goat so I take it easy with her, we go to Whitehorn then Berg for a few days. When on my own or with another experienced backpacker we go straight through to berg camp. Emperor falls is great, especially early in the year (aka early July), agreed snowbird is a must do. We chose to forgo Berg this year and are doing Skyline in july instead. I'm also soloing WCT this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7284.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	250793  

post #56 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
We chose to forgo Berg this year and are doing Skyline in july instead. I'm also soloing WCT this month.
Nice! Rockies backpacks are big ? this year, because of insane amount of snow. I plan to do Brazeau circuit, but don't think it will be in shape till mid August, maybe not at all.

Enjoy WCT! I want to do Nootka at some point, but it has non-trivial logistic problems.
post #57 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
. We chose to forgo Berg this year and are doing Skyline in july instead. I'm also soloing WCT this month.

When are you doing Skyline in July. I'll be taking my kids 29-1
post #58 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:

But I agree, it is spectacular any way you slice it. I'm also thinking going again 2nd half of September to revisit Titkana/Snowbird. Here are 2 visuals from last June (2017) trip: I stayed 3 nights at Rearguard, hiking both in/out in a day:

Those photos are stunning. Add it to the list for 2019
post #59 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Scaling New Heights

Great pictures! And thanks again for all the information!

Quote:
You can easily hike to Berg lake from highway in a day. No need to break it up. I even dayhiked to Berg lake and back couple of times. It's only 35km return on super gentle trail, easy with light pack.
We only have a few hours on our first day there because we have to drive a lot. And there is no pad on berg lake camp. So the plan is to hike only 7 km on the first day and app 16 on the second.

Maybe a dumb question but: Are there people who donīt reserve and pay in advance and occupy a pad? Or choose a camp which they didnīt book?
post #60 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossi View Post

Maybe a dumb question but: Are there people who donīt reserve and pay in advance and occupy a pad? Or choose a camp which they didnīt book?
Not a dumb question.

What happens frequently since they started allowing online reservations is that people book & never show up. Not just on Robson but on other popular backpack routes (i.e. Rockwall, Brazeau, Skyline etc). It all depends on the season and weather, but in shoulder (June/September) free space is almost guaranteed, even if it shows booked online. Also for Robson, most gravitate towards "main" CG @ Berg Lake, while others that might be nicer stay empty. I never camped @ Berg Lake and never will. My fav is Robson Pass, here is view I used to wake up for 3 consecutive mornings in July '12:

To answer more directly your question: I believe all kinds of things happen. There is a ranger station up there (between Rearguard and Robson Pass), but it is not always occupied + ranger has probably better things to do than act as policeman.

Last year in June I booked me 2 nights @ Rearguard and paid at Center. Robson Pass was showing as 5 reservations -- it was totally empty. I decided I'd stay another night @ Rearguard for which I didn't pay for; no problems, had entire thing to myself and simply gave them $10 CAD when I hiked out.

That being said, July + August are extraordinarily busy (with Europeans in particular) & going up without reservation with hope that someone that booked won't show up is not recommended.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page