Whirling Fish disease in Johnson Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Whirling Fish disease in Johnson Lake

Most who visited Banff know of Johnson Lake. It's been closed to visitors since summer due to whirling disease that impacts fish. It is not dangerous to humans, but they are trying to prevent spread of disease to neighbor Two Jack lake & Minnewanka. Now I read they are considering draining entire lake (!!). Full article is here

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-05-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Yikes!

Is the Johnston Lake fish population native or was it introduced? I wonder if it is an introduced lake if they could look at eliminating the fish stock the same way they did in Devon Lakes.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

So the access to the lake has been restored for the winter; road is plowed, and it is as beautiful as ever. Not sure what will happen in spring once the ice melts. Here's the pic looking from the east end of the lake towards Cascade Mountain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cascade1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	189786  

vern.dewit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

So what do people think ? Should Parks Canada close Johnson Lake, except when it's frozen over, and let the disease run its course, or should they attempt to eliminate it using one of the options in the article ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

It's a good question. There was Parks canoe next to picnic benches on west end of the lake, so they have been doing something.
My guess is that they will close it again. It is the simplest and needs no resources, which they are short with anyways.

On the other hand, this summer will be busier than others due to free pass anniversary. They would have to keep constant watch as someone is bound to ignore the closure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

If Whirling disease gets to the Bow River (and some reports suggest it has) this will greatly impact one of the world's premier fly-fishing destinations. As a former fly-fisherman I can't think of a worse scenario. It's really, really bad news.

Vern Dewit
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern.dewit View Post
If Whirling disease gets to the Bow River (and some reports suggest it has) this will greatly impact one of the world's premier fly-fishing destinations. As a former fly-fisherman I can't think of a worse scenario. It's really, really bad news.
It's IN the Bow River, just not throughout the Bow River system.......yet

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...iver-1.3784018
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I got no new update re Johnson Lake, but I am now seeing tables at lots of public places along Bow River watershed. This one is at Quarry Lake above Canmore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whirling.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	192914  

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow, what a nasty disease. There seems to be too many of these outbreak of foreign fish, parasites, and diseases introduced by man via boat, foot, and pure stupidity and ignorance.

Great they put up the signs to warn people of the need to be vigilant. EDUCATION now is key.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
Wow, what a nasty disease. There seems to be too many of these outbreak of foreign fish, parasites, and diseases introduced by man via boat, foot, and pure stupidity and ignorance.

Great they put up the signs to warn people of the need to be vigilant. EDUCATION now is key.

K
Hanging around the California-Arizona area and heard a lot of concern from State and National park rangers about the New Zealand Mud Snail. I'd heard these are in BC streams but in the USA they're spreading very rapidly. They're tiny things but horrendous breeders and can cross river bottoms, wetlands etc. One Ranger told me an infested stream could hold up to 20,000 individuals per Sq Ft in suitable habitat!

It is thought that the New Zealand mudsnail was transported to North America in the ballast water of transport ships originating from Europe and Asia. In New Zealand they are naturally kept in check by a local parasite which we don't have.

Yikes

post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Parks has NO plan other to close lakes for fishing. Meanwhile the Bow River which is full of Trout with Whirling disease
remains open and fishing will be improved with new regulations. Birds also transport fish carrying the disease.
Unfortunately Alberta and Parks Canada can't get it together to develop a real plan to deal with the issue.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I wouldn't be so quick with criticizing. This is not easy problem to deal with, and it is better to get more info.

In the meantime, bit of update on Johnston Lake. 1st day of Spring 2017. Road is open and clear; parking lot is huge skating rink, and trail around the lake has been well used. There is even a snowman right in the middle of the lake! Outlet is now thawing and there is open water (pic); will be interesting to see how long the access remains open.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	johnston1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	195321  

post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Hittin' the Trails

With all do respect I will criticize. They have no plan..that is the bottom line... They need to be challenged especially when it comes to shutting down activities we may enjoy. Remember they had even been thinking about draining Johnston lake,
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Some update as of Oct '19. Parks Canada has now closed the area and is completely draining the lake. Went for a walk there couple of weeks ago while it was still open and lake level was normal, now it is apparently a swamp. Hope this works.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6074485/j...rling-disease/
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Nov 3, 2020

Over a year later from last post, thought I'd give some update.
Johnson Lake was closed (road gated) for good part of summer, but now is open again. There has been some work in parking area. Large sign now says that Fishing is not allowed, but everything else is as it was.

Went for a nice CW stroll, and quite special conditions -- lake froze during recent cold spell and there is solid sheet of ice, but now on surface slightly melted to allow water reflections -- quite unreal! People skating all over Couple of pics:

Name:	lakeclassic.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	282092
[Believe or not, this is solid ice everywhere]

Name:	lakepanosouth.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	997.4 KB
ID:	282090
[Pano across to Rundle range from grassy ridge on east side. Adirondacks are surprisingly gone]

Name:	lakepanowest.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	959.6 KB
ID:	282088
[Pano from the east side looking across to Cascade Mtn]

Name:	skatecouple.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	653.6 KB
ID:	282086
[Ice skaters. Quite unreal. They both had life vests though]

Johnson Lake is real gem & I am glad Parks eventually got it figured out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page