Tonquin Valley Hike Advice - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Tonquin Valley Hike Advice

We can arrange for car shuttle to do this hike a point to point. If yes, which direction should we opt for: Maccarib to Astoria or the other way around?

On the other hand, I also researched that some would just opt to hike in and out the same way via Maccarib (17 miles or 34 miles roundtrip) to since this route has superior scenery and worth repeating. I'm doing this as a long day hike. If doing it this way, it will save me some trouble of car shuttling in exchange for a much more difficult and longer hike.

FYI, I've made arrangement w/ someone to give drop my rental car off at one trailhead and drive me to the other trailhead. If I can save them the trouble of waking up early in the AM, I would. Again, I'm doing this as a day hike.

Thanks in advance for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

I would go in Astoria river to Maccarib Pass way! My reason for this is that if you go in by Maccarib, it is uphill most of the way and I personally love the view as you crest Maccarib Pass and look down the valley to the parking area at Portal Creek.
Also, if you are doing this as a day trip, you will want to see the full scope of the Tonquin Valley , I would think.
If you do go in from Maccarib, you will need to go past Maccarib c/g in order to see the Ramparts behind the lakes, a sight worth doing the hike alone.
When were you planning to go? Here is a link to a road closure that might affect your plans if you are going very soon. Cavell meadows tarn has overflowed onto the parking area it seems and thus Parks needs to assess the damage , if any.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp?oPark=100244

Oh, just so you know..I have hiked this area four times now so my opinions are based on my own trips and lusts,lol.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for your advice. I'm going the 2nd week of Sept. Park Canada replied and said they rec'd going in from Astoria, but I was going thinking going in/out via Maccarib (longer, but more scenic).

Hopefully, Cavell opens by then otherwise, it doesn't leave us w/ a choice as to which direction to in/head out. This is among my top anticipated long day hikes. I a couple more weeks to go -- getting super excited. Lots of great things "planned" for this trip, including some awesome long day hikes, and I'm praying for good weather.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking & snowshoeing

Since you said second week of September, this may not affect you, but I had heard earlier this season (but don't remember where but I think it was a Parks Canada source) that the Cavell Road is closing September 15th this year so that they can repair a bridge partway up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Ooohhh, good info. I will be in Jasper from Sept 6 for 1 week. I may have to hike in/out from Maccarib if Cavell TH is closed during that time
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Hittin' the Trails

You can go in from Astoria as the road is open to that location. Like it was said go in from Astoria and out to Portal Creek. You will need to go hard if your going to do this in a day in Spetember !
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking & snowshoeing

Alliecat - thought you'd like to know that the Cavell Road is opening tomorrow (Friday, Aug. 29th).

I was recently into the Tonquin valley but we did not come out via Maccarib Pass as originally planned. A couple of days before we left, I added up the distance on the map and realized it's over 30 km from the ACC hut where we were staying to the Portal Creek trailhead. So we opted to go out from the hut via Amethyst Lakes to the main trail, which was about 22 km. That was long enough of a day for most of us! It was definitely more scenic than the route directly to the hut, which we had done on the way in, which was almost 18 km.

One argument for going in via Maccarib and out via the Astoria River trail is that you would go down the Oldhorn switchbacks (which lose about 1200ish feet). I have only ever been about 8 km in on the Maccarib Pass trail, not all the way to the pass, but that part of the trail has gradual elevation gain and from the foot of the pass, it looked like it kept a nice, steady grade uphill. For someone able to do 40+ kilometres in a day, perhaps going up the steeper Oldhorn switchbacks wouldn't slow you down too much though.

We didn't see any caribou. There is a bear warning in place for all the trails in the Tonquin valley area - we didn't see any bears while out hiking, but one of our group spent the day at the hut and saw a griz sow and her large cub out by the picnic tables in front of the cabin while we were all out hiking on our stay-over day. The cabin register book was full of recent tales of bear sightings, especially on the Astoria River trail. We met one of the horseback outfitters just above the switchbacks on our way out, and he indicated that the switchback area and just below seems to be an active spot for bears - I gather he has had several sightings there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:13 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Thought I should give a bit of input here as far as the Macarib Pass way and bears. The Tonquin is always a favorite area for bears as fall approaches and Macarib Pass has some history to that end as well. As you will be moving fast, be very cautious around Portal campsite and further down towards Portal Creek. Portal c/s is lush with willows and with a creek near by you will want to make lots of noise and keep your eyes open. Enjoy, be safe and share the trail.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Enjoy the trip, Tonquin in the fall is a magical place :-)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

had a lovely 3 night stay in the Tonquin valley last week... group of 4 of us walked in via Astoria on Mon. Aug.25 to Amethyst c/g. The road was still closed so had a friend drive us in and take the truck back out to park it at the Portal t/h for our walk out on Thurs.
Saw 4 caribou at the meadow in front of Tonquin valley adventures as we walked in and the same 4 greeted us in our campsite the following morning. Fished from shore and boat and ate fresh fry 2 nights! walked to the Wates-Gibbson acc hut on Tues. in light rain.
Had to shoo a Momma black and this years cub off the trail on the Portal side on Thurs' trip out.
First time I've ever just left camp set up for 3 nights, usually on the move to cover ground but after deciding that I wasn't going to enjoy 100km of Athabasca Pass we came up with a rest trip instead and it was wonderful. About 22km in, slow climb up those switch backs with heavy packs - 7 hours. and about the same amble out! Really was restorative...though a bit fresh, snow on the peaks!
Enjoy your time in the valley!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnlioness
group of 4 of us walked in via Astoria on Mon. Aug.25 to Amethyst c/g. The road was still closed so had a friend drive us in and take the truck back out to park it at the Portal t/h for our walk out on Thurs.
Can you please clarify this: Is it possible to drive and park at Astoria trailhead (by Cavell lake)? There is conflicting info at Parks website; one page claims Cavell road is open, other "closed due to flooding". I am planning loop day hike Astoria-Eremite-Amethyst-Astoria in few days
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

The Cavell road is now open
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Zeljkok, I wrote to the Jasper Park and they told me the road is opened to the trailhead to hike into Tonquin Valley. When are you thinking of hiking? We'll be in Jasper from Sept 7-Sept 13 (7 full days). Anyway, thinking of hiking Berg Lake on Sept 7 though and then I'm flexible after that ... if you want to hook up during this period pls let me know. Otherwise, have a safe and great trip Are you doing a day/overnight hike and which direction are you heading in and out of? Thanks in advance.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo

The Cavell road is now open
Nice to hear the caribou are active in the valley. If it stays the same from last year, the area will be closed to human traffic Nov. 1 to Feb. 15.

*Correction, the area isn't closed but the access points are. The only viable route would be Tonquin Creek from the BC side.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone doing this hike this Saturday 9/13? Forecast looks good and hopefully the trail will be in good shape ...

We're thinking of hiking in & out via Maccarib Pass unless we can find hitch a ride or arrange for car shuttle

We'll be making lots of noise ... so if we can find more ppl to hike together initially that will be great as there's bear warnings in the area ...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page