Canadian Rockies Recent conditions reports - Page 72 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1066 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 09:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Oct 25 '20 After over a week of Arctic blast that brought head-on winter to Bow Valley, things are clearing up.
The weather prediction for winter is for cold and snow. At the coast here, there was also an abrupt transition from mild to cold. Autumn isn't over but got overshadowed by an early winter.
I like the first two shots because the clouds really adds to the photo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1067 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 02:59 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
The weather prediction for winter is for cold and snow. At the coast here, there was also an abrupt transition from mild to cold. Autumn isn't over but got overshadowed by an early winter.
I like the first two shots because the clouds really adds to the photo.

I saw that prediction too. Things even out; after gorgeous summer and way above average September. And then we could get warm January; you never know. Coast weather btw is not that far away from Rockies/Prairies; only real difference is Pacific great equalizer (rain vs snow)

Clouds were really good & I took pano of only sky. Sometimes I replace sky on landscapes, but had only regular frames saved. Wide will come handy 8057 x 2844
Click image for larger version

Name:	skypanobackground.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	282022
post #1068 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 12:34 AM
Summit Master

Nov 17, '20

Cascade River bridge ~km 5 of Cascade Fireroad. Some fat bike tracks, not enough to x-country ski (yet)

Name:	cascadebridge1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	775.5 KB
ID:	282328

Had lunch at official campground just across the bridge before turning back. This campground is very nice, it is hard to see too many people coming to overnight here as this is one of least exciting valleys in BNP

Looks like kitty used the bridge to cross the River too

Name:	bridgetracks.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	778.3 KB
ID:	282330
ColdBrook likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-19-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1069 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 08:58 PM
Summit Master

Dec 22, '20

Wet Pacific front from BC (thanks) dumped huge amounts of snow over the Rockies. They are saying Calgary got 40-50cm. Even more in Banff/Canmore, can't quite remember this. People were skiing and snowshoeing on city streets. I walked up to Quarry Lake, my usual stroll, and it actually felt like a hike. Some pics

Name:	brb.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	657.7 KB
ID:	283098
[Bow River bridge looking towards the Sisters]

Name:	qlt.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	786.1 KB
ID:	283096
[Along Quarry Lake trail, leaving residential]

Name:	qls.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	536.3 KB
ID:	283100
[Quarry Lake, already broken trail by snowshoes. I just booted but did get wet feet as it is quite warm]

Enjoy winter; skiers will be happy
post #1070 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Scaling New Heights

Default Banff - Alexandra Valley

I was wondering whether it were possible to ski or snowshoe into the Alexandra Valley along the river bottom. This requires a crossing of the heavily braided North Saskatchewan river, but avoids avalanche paths along the existing hiking trail.

I went there on Dec 17, 2020 and can report that both the North Saskatchewan and the Alexandra rivers are frozen over. The snow averaged about 1 m deep. Snowshoers and skiers can depart from the Sunset Pass trailhead to access the campsite at Terrace Creek (approx 10 km). It should be possible to follow the Alexandra along the river bottom to the confluence of the Castleguard River.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201217_124725.rotated.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	283120  

Name:	20201217_134337.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	283122  

Name:	20201217_124703.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	487.3 KB
ID:	283124  

Scott Meadows
esmeadows@gmail.com
post #1071 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2020, 03:12 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeadows View Post
I was wondering whether it were possible to ski or snowshoe into the Alexandra Valley along the river bottom. This requires a crossing of the heavily braided North Saskatchewan river, but avoids avalanche paths along the existing hiking trail.

I went there on Dec 17, 2020 and can report that both the North Saskatchewan and the Alexandra rivers are frozen over. The snow averaged about 1 m deep. Snowshoers and skiers can depart from the Sunset Pass trailhead to access the campsite at Terrace Creek (approx 10 km). It should be possible to follow the Alexandra along the river bottom to the confluence of the Castleguard River.

Very useful info. Might head there later on when days get a bit longer.

How far did you go?
post #1072 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2020, 10:39 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Very useful info. Might head there later on when days get a bit longer.

How far did you go?
Not far. I only went as far as the main channel of the Alexandra, which is probably only a couple of km. I didn't get to the trailhead until noon. When it was clear that I wouldn't have time to make it to Terrace, I just stopped after confirming that the Alexandra was frozen and passable.

Scott Meadows
esmeadows@gmail.com
post #1073 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2021, 10:10 PM
Summit Master

Jan 23 '21

Cold snap finally arrived to Rockies, but it is also very beautiful. Ice chunks are flowing on Bow River, one can walk on frozen side channels and there are many wildlife tracks everywhere. This is a pic of sunset over Three Sisters, very beautiful quiet and pristine

Name:	2112bowbendhr_012321.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	283566
post #1074 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2021, 01:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

There's nothing like beautiful mountains to photograph. I'm restricted to forest shots. I don't suppose that clear area on the mountainside is due to logging?
post #1075 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2021, 03:43 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
I don't suppose that clear area on the mountainside is due to logging?
No. There is some logging further east in the foothills, but not in Bow Valley. Clear area below Sisters (3 peaks center left) is just talus. Forested cone to the right is called "Grassi Knob" and clear area is the cliff. This pic from Bow Bridge shows it clearly; Grassi Knob cone is center right & you can see the cliff in the shade.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 1.40.28 PM.png
Views:	50
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	283586

Here is 1 more shot, from nearby spot, but now looking more west towards Banff. You can see that cliff on Grassi Knob like a scar center left. Cascade Mtn, one of 2 main Banff Landmarks, is distance center right, and extreme right are peaks at north side of Bow Valley, still lit by low sun

Name:	2112bowbendhr_012321_2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	703.8 KB
ID:	283588

Last edited by zeljkok; 01-24-2021 at 06:01 PM.
post #1076 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2021, 09:37 PM
Summit Master

Jan 29 '21

Went for usual photo walk in Bow Valley Provincial Park: Middle Lake -- Many Springs -- Whitefish & had it entirely to myself. Now is a good time because road is closed past Middle Lake & I prefer to walk that way to Many Springs as hiking trail is entirely in montane forest while road is mostly in the open passing by couple of very nice meadows; distance is the same. Lots of deer and hare tracks; couple of ospreys flying around. Some big trees across the road just above Whitefish parking area & AB Parks will have some clearing to do. Couple of pics from Whitefish picnic area, first looking north across Bow River towards Yamnuska and second west towards Bow Valley

Name:	whitefish1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	726.4 KB
ID:	283594

Name:	whitefish2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	747.1 KB
ID:	283592
martin likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 01-29-2021 at 10:49 PM.
post #1077 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2021, 01:01 AM
Scaling New Heights

I finally went to Terrace Creek for two nights Jan 31-Feb 2. The trip in on skis was fine, but the way out was really tough with 40cm of new snow. 11.5km sounds like an easy hiking day but not so much breaking trail in deep snow. And when we got back to the trailhead parking, we had to dig out a 60m path from our vehicles to the Parkway.

I'm still a newbie to ski touring and winter camping, and pretty much got my butt kicked. It was really hard and could have been dangerous. Next time I won't be as ambitious.

Picture is along Terrace Creek near campsite.

Name:	20210201_134654 (1).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	283638

Scott Meadows
esmeadows@gmail.com

Last edited by esmeadows; 02-13-2021 at 01:07 AM.
post #1078 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2021, 03:38 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Glad you recovered. There is real passion in you for the outdoors in you & I really think you need to cross the next step. Watching your terrific videos and seeing you going "ahhh" and "ohhh" when you see some peak from valley bottom, I just can't help thinking how much much much more you can have. For example, South Boundary is epic and all that, but in many respects a waste of time from scenery perspective; 7-10 days for Cairn Pass (where it rained for you), Brazeau Lake and Nigel Pass?? Way too little! Patton&Robinson book I think you are basing your trips on is legend, but just a tip of the iceberg. There are so many other places you can spend entire day after day in the alpine without seeing anyone. It's all right there for someone with your backpacking skills I wish I had.

Looking forward to learn how was the next hike

(Btw, Canmore bakeries suck *hint, hint*)
JUST saw this! I need to log in more.... Open to those ideas!!!!
post #1079 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesthehike View Post
JUST saw this! I need to log in more.... Open to those ideas!!!!

You SHOULD log in more ;=)

btw I really enjoyed your WCT videos last wk, both of them. Hilarious sequences too, like when girls play their music on trail & you make faces.
post #1080 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2021, 07:46 PM
Scaling New Heights

Ha, ha, zeljkok and I couldn't have a more different perspective. I'm glad for him and that our world accommodates everyone. I'm usually pretty happy to walk quietly on a valley floor trail with soft pine needles underfoot, occasionally drawing water from a cold mountain creek, and camping among the pines with a view toward distant peaks. The peace and solitude are restorative.

How 'bout this for a different perspective:

6 hours to the top of Northover Ridge? "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies" is a great book, but all they want is views! When you get there it's all rocks! Everything looks the same, except for the snow pitifully struggling to survive in the cold dark shadows. Want a drink? Melt snow, sucker! Sweet misery as you hunker down to keep from being blown over a 300m precipice by the 80 kph winds. Enjoy! :-)

Scott Meadows
esmeadows@gmail.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page