Canadian Rockies Recent conditions reports - Page 71 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1051 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 06:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

Looks high, but I'm not calibrated to know what's a safe, fordable level.

Name:  WaterlevelOrientatedGraph.png
Views: 579
Size:  35.9 KB

Between high river levels in the valleys and heavy snow packs in the passes, it's hard to find anyplace that's both accessible and remote. I was thinking of leaving for Cairn Pass via Rocky Pass on Saturday. I don't own snowshoes.

Scott Meadows
esmeadows@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 01:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The water is very high in Jasper at the moment. This is the Whirlpool River and the Moab Lake Road, which is closed. Numerous backcountry bridges, the few that we have left, are in jeopardy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	203B9474-2D38-4732-BB6F-FCBC58E2B754.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	277170  

post #1053 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 08:07 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
The water is really high at the moment so crossing the Wild Hay to get to Hardscrabble Pass could be a challenge. I tried to get up Rocky Pass last week and there was quite a bit of snow. I managed to get a backcountry camp for three nights in Jasper starting Sunday. I will be getting quite high, hopefully, so I could let you know in a week. People on other sites have been reporting lots of snow up high in Jasper.
We are going to attempt Rock Lake to Hardscrabble/Glacier passes and back in a couple of weeks. I will report back when we are finished!

- Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 09:40 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesthehike View Post
We are going to attempt Rock Lake to Hardscrabble/Glacier passes and back in a couple of weeks. I will report back when we are finished!

- Stuart
You're heading up there with Marty? He invited me along but unfortunately I can't make it. Have a great trip.
post #1055 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 01:37 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
You're heading up there with Marty? He invited me along but unfortunately I can't make it. Have a great trip.
Yep! Too bad you can't join us. Gonna be a good one if we don't have any high water issues. Next time!!
post #1056 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 01:43 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
I hiked up the Willow Creek trail from Rock Lake to Rock Creek yesterday. The 32 km Rock Lake Road was in very good shape until 2.5 Kms from the Willmore staging area, where I was stopped by a snowdrift. The first three Kms is still snow covered, but hard packed by snowmobiles so it was easy walking. The rest of the trail was a mix of snow, mud and nice dry spots. At km 6.0 a beaver dam has destroyed a small bridge and making the crossing quite deep, about four feet. So I walked downstream a short distance and crossed the water on the beaver dam. It was easy going. I was about two weeks to early, but I did this trip last year on April 23rd with minimal snow. By May long weekend this trail should be very good.
Awesome post. Heading out there this week. How far downstream is the beaver dam? We encountered that deep spot with no bridge late last summer heading into the NBT - but waded. (we were running very late due to cars dropped at Mt. Robson) Not interested in wading if I can avoid it this time!!

Thanks!!
post #1057 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 04:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Awesome post. Heading out there this week. How far downstream is the beaver dam? We encountered that deep spot with no bridge late last summer heading into the NBT - but waded. (we were running very late due to cars dropped at Mt. Robson) Not interested in wading if I can avoid it this time!!

Thanks!!
The beaver dam downstream is not far off the trail at all. I had a big snow drift to go through which made it more difficult. On my return I crossed on the much bigger beaver dam upstream, again not verY far from the trail, which was considerably easier. I’m not sure what those dams will look like at the moment because of the flooding going on, but if you can, take the larger upstream crossing. You may even be able to cross where the old bridge was because the flooding may have wiped away the lower dam. Rock Creek could also be a challenge during high water.
I hope that you and Marty have a good time.
post #1058 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:12 AM
Summit Master

Quote:

Thanks!!

Just watched the "Injury hike" video. I am sorry you had the mishap. But it's for the better; you guys went WAY TOO EARLY. I was just on the area (July 14, 8 days after you) and had aerial view of Pipestone - too much snow! Too early!

(see https://forums.clubtread.com/130-can...pipestone.html it will also give you bit more info for future).

You also mixed up peaks; looking back from Molar Meadows is Noseeum peak, not Mosquito. Mosquito is second left of North Molar Pass.

Heal, and come back in August. And listen more to people that know the area and conditions when planning such ambitious backcountry trip

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-17-2020 at 06:20 PM.
post #1059 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Beautiful photo, Zeljkok.

Love that scene.

Amazing this thread started by Rachelo more than 11 years ago, and still going strong.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #1060 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 07:18 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Just watched the "Injury hike" video. I am sorry you had the mishap. But it's for the better; you guys went WAY TOO EARLY. I was just on the area (July 14, 8 days after you) and had aerial view of Pipestone - too much snow! Too early!

(see https://forums.clubtread.com/130-can...pipestone.html it will also give you bit more info for future).

You also mixed up peaks; looking back from Molar Meadows is Noseeum peak, not Mosquito. Mosquito is second left of North Molar Pass.

Heal, and come back in August. And listen more to people that know the area and conditions when planning such ambitious backcountry trip

Thanks man. Apologies on the mixup I was not quite myself on this trip obviously. And yes it was way too early this year no question. But you know when your book planes and have a plan you look for a plan B or C and adjust from there. I keep threatening to move the Canmore and opening up another family bakery so perhaps I’ll be much more in the know as a local when that happens. Ha ha!

I’m fully recovered it was my IT band again and I’m about to do a quick two or three day hike in Fundy national Park just to make sure I’m good. I will be back out in August but I think I’m going to head up to the Willmore wilderness area and hard scrabble pass OR do around Southesk lake. I’m not sure yet I’m just gonna wait and see what the conditions are like and pick something remote. I really want to get out there away from the crowds.

Yeah and when I wrenched my knee I knew the conditions were not gonna be good. In fact when Marty's video comes out I think we will see some serious crap over Pipestone pass and down to Devon lakes etc...

Seeing snow just up the trail from mosquito Creek campsite helped me make my decision not to carry on with my injury because I knew that the further we got up the alpine the worse it was going to be.

As always I think this is the best hiking forum on the Internet and I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given me over the years.

Stu
post #1061 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 08:19 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Thanks man. Apologies on the mixup I was not quite myself on this trip obviously. And yes it was way too early this year no question. But you know when your book planes and have a plan you look for a plan B or C and adjust from there. I keep threatening to move the Canmore and opening up another family bakery so perhaps I’ll be much more in the know as a local when that happens. Ha ha!

I’m fully recovered it was my IT band again and I’m about to do a quick two or three day hike in Fundy national Park just to make sure I’m good. I will be back out in August but I think I’m going to head up to the Willmore wilderness area and hard scrabble pass OR do around Southesk lake. I’m not sure yet I’m just gonna wait and see what the conditions are like and pick something remote. I really want to get out there away from the crowds.

Yeah and when I wrenched my knee I knew the conditions were not gonna be good. In fact when Marty's video comes out I think we will see some serious crap over Pipestone pass and down to Devon lakes etc...

Seeing snow just up the trail from mosquito Creek campsite helped me make my decision not to carry on with my injury because I knew that the further we got up the alpine the worse it was going to be.

As always I think this is the best hiking forum on the Internet and I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given me over the years.

Stu

Glad you recovered. There is real passion in you for the outdoors in you & I really think you need to cross the next step. Watching your terrific videos and seeing you going "ahhh" and "ohhh" when you see some peak from valley bottom, I just can't help thinking how much much much more you can have. For example, South Boundary is epic and all that, but in many respects a waste of time from scenery perspective; 7-10 days for Cairn Pass (where it rained for you), Brazeau Lake and Nigel Pass?? Way too little! Patton&Robinson book I think you are basing your trips on is legend, but just a tip of the iceberg. There are so many other places you can spend entire day after day in the alpine without seeing anyone. It's all right there for someone with your backpacking skills I wish I had.

Looking forward to learn how was the next hike

(Btw, Canmore bakeries suck *hint, hint*)

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-25-2020 at 08:52 PM.
post #1062 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Fishing, Camping, Hockey

Headed out two weekends ago to do the Molar Pass Loop.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/Io8LrTU

Map: https://caltopo.com/m/092A

Itinerary:
• Day 1: Trailhead to Mosquito Creek CG (5.2km, 200m elev gain)
• Day 2: Mosquito Creek CG to Molar Creek CG (28km, 820m elev gain, 925m loss). Likely more like 32-34km with all the bushwacking and trail finding...
• Day 3: Molar Creek CG to Trailhead (18km, 495m elev gain, 560m loss)

Absolutely beautiful area but for about 15km inbetween Fish Lakes and Molar Creek, the trail was utterly savage: Thick, overgrown willows, disappearing trail, creek / river crossings, bushwacking, and trailfinding. Didn't help that the mosquitos and blackflies were relentless either. The Gaia and Caltopo GPS tracks are but a mere guide showing you the general direction you are going.

Took about an hour of bushwacking to find the Molar Creek campsite. Barely got set up before a thunderstorm rolled in. I thought I was being sly, I had heard the GPS location was not accurate so I took the coordinates off of Parks Canada's website which was about .5km south of the actual location. For anyone headed out that way, the actual coordinates are lat/long: 51.58842, -116.20174.

Overall, it was a great, challenging hike with some incredible alpine views but I'll probably never do the back section between Fish Lakes and Molar Creek again. Once is enough haha.

Dustin
post #1063 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 12:27 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Poligne Creek, Elusive Pass

Aug. 20, 2020. There are 8 crossings of Poligne Creek between the Poboktan junction and Maligne Pass. The first two bridges are intact, the 3rd one is a single wobbly plank, and the 4th one is intact, crossing a tributary. The 5th bridge is gone, but there is a tree spanning the creek that looks precarious. Some hikers are comfortable walking on it, but the easy ford is safer. The 6th bridge is washed out, but the ford is easy. Bushwhacking to avoid 5 and 6 is steep, nasty and not recommended. The 7th bridge at Avalanche camp is intact, and the 8th bridge between the camp and the pass is half broken but crossable without fording (easy).

The true summit of Elusive Pass is blocked by a cornice, but the slightly higher, western summit's cornice is easily bypassed, and then you scramble to the bump that separates the two. On Aug. 21, the long meadow section between Elusive and 2nd Pass of the Six Passes route was in full bloom, with swarms of mosquitoes unlike any I've previously experienced, anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Elusive Pass 2020.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	279594  

Name:	Elusive cornice and Mount Brazeau.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	279596  

Name:	Replica Poboktan Sunwapta from Elusive approach.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	279598  

post #1064 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 11:17 PM
Summit Master

Oct 17 '20

After beauty summer and way above seasonal September, snowy blast descended upon Rockies in October and everything is pretty much like deep winter now. This is pic along Bow River in Canmore looking north to Fairholme Range: R - L: Lady Mac, Charles Stewart SE, Bald Eagle's Peak (formerly 'The Tit') and Princess Margaret. Left in distance in Cascade Mtn, and extreme left Rundle Range. Looks like long and bloody cold winter ahead

Name:	canmorebowpanooct20.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	281856

Last edited by zeljkok; 10-17-2020 at 11:19 PM.
post #1065 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:47 PM
Summit Master

Oct 25 '20

After over a week of Arctic blast that brought head-on winter to Bow Valley, things are clearing up. Went for a walk on Horseshoe loop at lower slopes of Grotto Mountain on sunny side of the valley. It is snowy, but just few centimeters and already some bare parts. It is very beautiful right now, totally unlike fall

Name:	grottohorseshoepano.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	282000

And pic of Grotto Mtn from start of ACC trail; I think it was doable without much problems and there were tracks going up

Name:	grottopalette.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	700.7 KB
ID:	281998

Finally pic of snowy Bow Valley the day before. Totally not October-like

Name:	cougarridgepano.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	281996

For photographers, this last one is fairly unknown spot but outstanding to catch sunset. It is on east side of Cougar canyon approach above Benchlands, basically where Horseshoe loop starts. There is good trail from residential area below. Cougar btw is seriously closed with no end in sight, like they are building metropolis not simple dam.

Last edited by zeljkok; 10-25-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page