Canadian Rockies Recent conditions reports - Page 73 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1081 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2021, 02:22 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeadows View Post

6 hours to the top of Northover Ridge? "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies" is a great book, but all they want is views! When you get there it's all rocks! Everything looks the same, except for the snow pitifully struggling to survive in the cold dark shadows. Want a drink? Melt snow, sucker! Sweet misery as you hunker down to keep from being blown over a 300m precipice by the 80 kph winds. Enjoy! :-)

This is one of most misguided statements I've heard in my life. But I agree with you: To each their own, and there is room for everyone in the nature. I am sure you can find 1 person in a 1000, maybe even 2, that prefer boring forest walks to breathtaking aerial ridgetop views.

But this is conditions update thread, and not place for personal preference debate, so let's leave it there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2021, 04:06 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Fishing, Camping, Hockey

How's the snow pack looking so far this year? I'm planning on hitting up Glacier Lake late April / early May. Expectation is that there will likely be a moderate amount of hard pack snow at the higher elevation along trail with the lake being mostly snowfree.
post #1083 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2021, 04:36 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustin View Post
How's the snow pack looking so far this year? I'm planning on hitting up Glacier Lake late April / early May. Expectation is that there will likely be a moderate amount of hard pack snow at the higher elevation along trail with the lake being mostly snowfree.

I'd say overall average or slightly below average winter snowpack. Recent dump deposited 10-20 cm but it started melting. Typical early spring conditions.

As for Glacier Lake your guess is probably good. I'd expect trail to be dry with section of mud and snow patches on that forested hill before you start descent to the lake. Gaiters only gear needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2021, 01:13 AM
Summit Master

Apr 13, '21

Went for a walk up sunny Yam shoulder. Snowdump earlier this week has plastered everything & there is now wet white stuff even at valley floor. Yam trail was super muddy lower down, then slushy and final rise to the shoulder has quite a bit of slippery snow; booted going up, but put spikes for sake of mind going down (they work in mud too!). Yam is all white & I'd say not in condition, same for CMC valley, Wendells and Association. Still nice exercise (450m vertical to shoulder) I love doing because of these views across valley floor from the ridge to Kananaskis. Couple of pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	foothillspano.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	285242
[Foothills pano from Yam ridge; Barrier Lookout I hiked last week is right of center across the valley]

Name:	shoulder.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	833.3 KB
ID:	285240
[Yam shoulder, as you can see all white. Boot prints continued through the cleft, also down direct route on the left]

Name:	chimney.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	685.7 KB
ID:	285246
[Chimney and first scramble bit; I turned around here as I was not doing whole thing (done Yam at least half a dozen times by now)]

Name:	cmc.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	827.0 KB
ID:	285244
[View down snowy CMC Valley; Wendell East is just left of center, and to the right and behind is Association]

Finally couple of nice pics couple of days ago from Canmore:

Name:	bowpano.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	285248
[Along Bow River looking south towards "Wall of Canmore"]

Name:	anmargaret.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	602.2 KB
ID:	285250
[Princess Margaret with dramatic sunset sky; pic taken from little rise above Power Plant along Legacy Trail extension towards Nordic center]
martin and ColdBrook like this.
post #1085 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2021, 02:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

https://www.facebook.com/acccolumbia...59876369482950

I've been following this post and I sure hope this is going to happen. Athabasca Pass is a magnificent place.
post #1086 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2021, 08:24 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
You SHOULD log in more ;=)

btw I really enjoyed your WCT videos last wk, both of them. Hilarious sequences too, like when girls play their music on trail & you make faces.
Haha - thanks! Love that trail. Hoping to hike with the girls again this summer, as it has been too long!
post #1087 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post

I've been following this post and I sure hope this is going to happen. Athabasca Pass is a magnificent place.
YEs, me too. I am planning to try to ford Simon late this season to get up there. I hope this is true, even thought it won't likely be done this year. Extending that trail past the one camp still showing on the maps on the other side would also be HUGE.
post #1088 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2021, 12:08 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post

Thank you for sharing this here Dieter. But funding is not coming from Parks, if I understand right. This is my issue - backcountry users pay same fees like frontcountry users, but get zilch in return

If this happens I might go too; there is way too much valley walking for my taste, but there is so much historic importance. I am kinda curious though to watch video of howesthehike fording Simon Creek
post #1089 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this here Dieter. But funding is not coming from Parks, if I understand right. This is my issue - backcountry users pay same fees like frontcountry users, but get zilch in return

If this happens I might go too; there is way too much valley walking for my taste, but there is so much historic importance. I am kinda curious though to watch video of howesthehike fording Simon Creek
Hahah. Might have to video that now, but it will be in real time - none of this staged "watch me cross" stuff. no way I'm doing that one more than twice!
post #1090 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2021, 04:41 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesthehike View Post
Hahah. Might have to video that now, but it will be in real time - none of this staged "watch me cross" stuff. no way I'm doing that one more than twice!

Right. You go first and have girls film you. Then if you survive it is safe and they can follow. And if you don't, we still have a record what happened 😁
post #1091 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2021, 10:52 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Snowpack - where to go in a couple of weeks?

Hello western friends....

I will be fully vaxxed and past the 14 days in a couple of weeks and I am eager to get into the mountains. I have my later summer stuff in Banff/Jasper already reserved, but am looking for any suggestions that might be passable/attainable end of June/ first week of July.

As I have no clue about the current melt/rivers/etc... Any suggestions are appreciated!

Stuart

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2021 at 07:58 PM.
post #1092 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2021, 03:32 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesthehike View Post
am looking for any suggestions that might be passable/attainable end of June/ first week of July.

As I have no clue about the current melt/rivers/etc... Any suggestions are appreciated!

Stuart

Rivers are very high and there is lots of snow. So one good area to explore would be Waterton. You have never been there, you can car-camp and then there are many great hikes you can do with luxury of day pack. It is considerably drier compared to Icefields that will still be choked. You can fly into YYC, get a car, drive down (~3hrs) and setup camp all on 1st day.

Second area you have also never been to is David Thompson corridor. This has eastern exposure so will be in shape. There are campgrounds along, there is Nordegg with supplies and even hostel, and there is also published hiking guidebook with many ideas.

Third area to explore is Ya-Ha-Tinda; eastern BNP. It will be dry, it is very beautiful and very much off the radar still. There are couple of campgrounds for car camping. And if you still insist on multi-day backpacks you could venture up Red Deer river, or even better Clearwater River valley. 1-way traverse from Ya-Ha-Tinda to Lake Minnewanka is possible following Cascade FR & this is along your preferred valley floor walk trip style, but there is huge car problem

All of these are away from Kananaskis/Banff/Jasper core areas that will be choked by Calgary/Edmonton crowds so there is also more solitude. You can also have a look at my website, there are tons of trips, categorized by area here

If you need more, contact me directly or start separate thread; this is for condition updates thread, not for hiking suggestions

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-20-2021 at 03:38 PM.
post #1093 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Rivers are very high and there is lots of snow. So one good area to explore would be Waterton. You have never been there, you can car-camp and then there are many great hikes you can do with luxury of day pack. It is considerably drier compared to Icefields that will still be choked. You can fly into YYC, get a car, drive down (~3hrs) and setup camp all on 1st day.

Second area you have also never been to is David Thompson corridor. This has eastern exposure so will be in shape. There are campgrounds along, there is Nordegg with supplies and even hostel, and there is also published hiking guidebook with many ideas.

Third area to explore is Ya-Ha-Tinda; eastern BNP. It will be dry, it is very beautiful and very much off the radar still. There are couple of campgrounds for car camping. And if you still insist on multi-day backpacks you could venture up Red Deer river, or even better Clearwater River valley. 1-way traverse from Ya-Ha-Tinda to Lake Minnewanka is possible following Cascade FR & this is along your preferred valley floor walk trip style, but there is huge car problem

All of these are away from Kananaskis/Banff/Jasper core areas that will be choked by Calgary/Edmonton crowds so there is also more solitude. You can also have a look at my website, there are tons of trips, categorized by area here

If you need more, contact me directly or start separate thread; this is for condition updates thread, not for hiking suggestions
Thanks SO much for these ideas. Getting away from crowds is job #1 for me this year, so these all look great. But man - you KNOW me at this point. hahaha. Ya Ha Tinda area has been on my mind for a hill too - as it gets me into the area I missed out on last year. Will ponder
this all. thanks again!
post #1094 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Cardinal/Rocky Pass

Anyone been up cardinal divide yet this year? I know typically it takes a while to melt, but with all the heat, wondering what condition it is in. Thx
post #1095 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2021, 12:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I was up there on Monday. The trail was good.

Last edited by lobo; 07-06-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page