Canadian Rockies Recent conditions reports - Page 67 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #991 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:42 AM
Summit Master

Mar 23 '17

Took quick hike to Grassi Lakes and then up Riders of Rohan to Whiteman Gap. Grassi Trail is skating rink & don't even think about going without spikes. From Whiteman descended on the road, wanting to enjoy late afternoon views of Bow Valley. Beautiful sunset light behind Ha Ling and Wall on Canmore as I came back to the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rundleforebay1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	195434  

CEB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Mar 23 '17

Took quick hike to Grassi Lakes and then up Riders of Rohan to Whiteman Gap. Grassi Trail is skating rink & don't even think about going without spikes. From Whiteman descended on the road, wanting to enjoy late afternoon views of Bow Valley. Beautiful sunset light behind Ha Ling and Wall on Canmore as I came back to the car.
Nice photo Zeljkok. It certainly seems that spring is in valley bottom. Forecast weather is the most consistent 'good' warming that we have had, maybe this is it now!

Last week, all trails in the trees either side of Bow Valley were ice rink. That rain we had helped polish it into nasty ice. Since then its transitioning through ice and mud on the east side. May need to take a hike up Cougar Creek soon.
post #993 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Last week, all trails in the trees either side of Bow Valley were ice rink. That rain we had helped polish it into nasty ice. Since then its transitioning through ice and mud on the east side. May need to take a hike up Cougar Creek soon.
More or less so. Cougar creek is interesting situation; while there doesn't seem to be avalanche danger from Grotto/Lady Mac (slopes too dry, been there few days ago), creek could start flowing pretty good due to impeding warm-up & we had lots of snow this winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
More or less so. Cougar creek is interesting situation; while there doesn't seem to be avalanche danger from Grotto/Lady Mac (slopes too dry, been there few days ago), creek could start flowing pretty good due to impeding warm-up & we had lots of snow this winter
Yeah, I think that creek is 'generally fine' but the further up you go, the more risk there is, especially when you get into the side creeks, which have more shelter and bigger slopes. I have a few interesting things I want to explore up that way, neat bits of terrain blocks that will be in season pretty soon I think, I'll let you know and see if you can join.
post #995 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Anyone know if trails in Kananaskis are clearing up? Still lots of snow up high I imagine.
post #996 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsciousApe View Post
Anyone know if trails in Kananaskis are clearing up? Still lots of snow up high I imagine.
Best I can offer is around Canmore, hope that helps give you an impression - snowline is at around treeline, with only a little bit present on west facing slopes - Lady Mac is dry, Grotto has a dusting at most. Further up valley, peaks around Minnewanka are still very snow-covered. Down valley, Pigeon, Allen etc still have snow but probably not a lot.

We do have another weather system forecast Wed/Thurs - depends if that comes as rain or snow, and the snooze button on summer will be pressed again.
post #997 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 12:48 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Best I can offer is around Canmore, hope that helps give you an impression - snowline is at around treeline, with only a little bit present on west facing slopes - Lady Mac is dry, Grotto has a dusting at most. Further up valley, peaks around Minnewanka are still very snow-covered. Down valley, Pigeon, Allen etc still have snow but probably not a lot.

We do have another weather system forecast Wed/Thurs - depends if that comes as rain or snow, and the snooze button on summer will be pressed again.
Thank you, that is good info!
post #998 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Can anyone comment on the amount of snow in the Jasper area, specifically the ranges east of the town site?
post #999 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceTitan View Post
Can anyone comment on the amount of snow in the Jasper area, specifically the ranges east of the town site?
I can, we were out in Hidden Valley the last two weekends and there is still quite a bit of snow. Snow seemed to stop right around the tree line on most peaks with the tops well covered. The Colin Range and Maligne range are very snowbound and there is even still snow on the top thirds of Roche Miette and Roche Perdrix. However, the valley bottoms are nice and dry, perfect for sport climbing.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #1000 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 02:53 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticMarmot View Post
I can, we were out in Hidden Valley the last two weekends and there is still quite a bit of snow. Snow seemed to stop right around the tree line on most peaks with the tops well covered. The Colin Range and Maligne range are very snowbound and there is even still snow on the top thirds of Roche Miette and Roche Perdrix. However, the valley bottoms are nice and dry, perfect for sport climbing.
Thanks for the response.

It is starting to feel as though the high peaks toward the divide may not dry out this summer.
post #1001 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 AM
Summit Master

Jun 2 '17

Bow River is quite swollen from spring snowmelt; almost spilling over. Boating is dangerous right now, but you can still jet-ski upstream

Name:	bowjetski1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	206185
xj6response likes this.
post #1002 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Can anyone comment on how dry things are in the Jasper area, specifically the environs around Roche Miette, Pyramid, and Hardisty/Kerkeslin?

The webcams suggest things might be reasonably dry.
post #1003 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceTitan View Post
Can anyone comment on how dry things are in the Jasper area, specifically the environs around Roche Miette, Pyramid, and Hardisty/Kerkeslin?

The webcams suggest things might be reasonably dry.
I spent half-day last week & tented at Wapiti. Things were dry indeed. People camping at Honeymoon Lake, and Medicine / Maligne lakeshore very dry as well. Kerkeslin campground was closed.

This was before this last storm, so things might have changed.
post #1004 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Glorious 400-meter glissade/boot-ski available from the col on Chester:

post #1005 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: scrambles, climbing, water, fastpacking,
Default mt whyte

route up mt whyte is clear enough at ice col crux.
no ice axe or micospikes needed for whole day and with the haze of smoke no people either !
pic taken july18 2017
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whyte.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	217386  

zeljkok, PhilR and SarcasticMarmot like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page