Canadian Rockies Recent conditions reports - Page 62 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #916 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:40 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Can anyone comment on the level of fire-related haze around the Columbia Icefield?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #917 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:47 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceTitan View Post
Can anyone comment on the level of fire-related haze around the Columbia Icefield?
You can always check webcams

http://www.brewster.ca/explore/webcams/#/0

(scroll down to "Icefields" and "Skywalk").
post #918 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
You can always check webcams

http://www.brewster.ca/explore/webcams/#/0

(scroll down to "Icefields" and "Skywalk").
I check those regularly, but those in particular either provide an insufficiently broad perspective (Athabasca) or face south (Skywalk) and so are often washed out by direct sunlight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #919 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Scaling New Heights

Mt Temple is in great conditon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1438710455118.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	75137  

post #920 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Mount Tyrwhitt needs a new summit register if anyone is heading up there soon. An entry from August 2nd was squeezed into the last page when I was up there on the weekend.

Also, what's the etiquette when you have a filled summit register? I left it as is.
post #921 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I recall at one point, the ACC Clubhouse in Canmore took full registers, and had blank books for taking up, but I haven't seen anything to confirm that is still the case.

I'd usually be inclined to leave the full one there until I could replace it with a new one.
post #922 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Summit Master

Bow Valley Sep 2 with fresh dusting of snow on Lougheed/Sisters

Bit of rant: I always thought of Lady Mac as bit of Canmore response to Vancouver Grouse Grind. Up & up, busy busy, elev. gain (to helipad) almost identical, takes about the same time. Going further takes you to well known scrambles in both cases. Difference: there is no gondola to take you down, but trail is nicer and views considerably better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helipadwide.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	89345  

Baker2008 and Trail Talk like this.
post #923 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Has anyone been up the skyline trail. will be hiking it next week and wondering how much snow will be on the ground, thanks!
post #924 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Photos on Facebook show about 10-20cm of snow on the ground along sections of the Skyline Trail, with word that some people are bailing out to Wabasso and difficulties around the Notch. This should all melt off with daytime highs returning to the 20s next week, but you may want to bring microspikes with you just in case.
post #925 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, scrambling, mountaineering

Hiked Skyline Trail south to north Sept. 4-6. Snow on the trail starts on the hike up to Big Shovel Pass and continues over The Notch and until you descend into the valley leading to Tekarra CG. Varying depths of snow and icy in places - bring microspikes. Snow not deep enough for an ice axe to be of any use and I never felt I needed one. No snow at any of the campsites. The hike over the Notch with all of the snow looked worse from below than it really was. Biggest challenges were route finding once over Big Shovel Pass as it started snowing and it was difficult to see the snow covered trail and then boulder fields between Curator CG and The Notch (since the rocks were covered with snow had to be really careful finding where to put your feet - couldn't tell where there is a rock or an empty space). All that said, we were sooo happy that it had snowed! The trail is absolutely gorgeous in the snow, especially all of the surrounding peaks. Lots of sections not snow covered, so we experienced that trail in both winter and late summer!
post #926 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the details. I saw some people had done it last weekend in trail runners, what's your thought on that? It's supposed to be warm this week so I'm hoping some of that snow melts off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWanderer View Post
Hiked Skyline Trail south to north Sept. 4-6. Snow on the trail starts on the hike up to Big Shovel Pass and continues over The Notch and until you descend into the valley leading to Tekarra CG. Varying depths of snow and icy in places - bring microspikes. Snow not deep enough for an ice axe to be of any use and I never felt I needed one. No snow at any of the campsites. The hike over the Notch with all of the snow looked worse from below than it really was. Biggest challenges were route finding once over Big Shovel Pass as it started snowing and it was difficult to see the snow covered trail and then boulder fields between Curator CG and The Notch (since the rocks were covered with snow had to be really careful finding where to put your feet - couldn't tell where there is a rock or an empty space). All that said, we were sooo happy that it had snowed! The trail is absolutely gorgeous in the snow, especially all of the surrounding peaks. Lots of sections not snow covered, so we experienced that trail in both winter and late summer!
post #927 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Was in Ptarmigan Cirque today (which was absolutely beautiful day!) and the some of the larches were starting to turn. The shrubbery in the sub alpine is already yellow and red, very pretty.
post #928 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Did Warrior and Cordonnier yesterday. Lots of snow above 2400m. Snow was up to one meter deep on Cordonnier. All peaks around Aster Lake looked very wintery.

Surprisingly, Indefatigable and all peaks east of Highway 40 looked dry.
post #929 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Went up to Athabasca Pass from Sept 8 - 13th. A few notes on conditions:
- The Middle Whirlpool River has moved from before the Warden Cabin to between the Warden Cabin and the Middleforks Campground. So now it is currently un-bridged and consists of a small deep stream that parks has build a nice double log 'bridge' over and a large not so deep washout section that they probably cant bridge.
- The bridge over to the east side of the Whirlpool river at KM 38.8 is gone. Now there is a nice re-route trail cut for a kilometer that takes you to just upstream of were the last of the Kane Creek channels goes into the Whirlpool river and you ford that instead of Kane Creek (after fording you just keep going up the re-route till you meet the trail to the campground). The ford was only knee deep for us and the current quite slow. It was easy. Looked easier than fording Kane Creek so I'm happy about that.
- Very unhappy that in 2014 parks found the bridge over the canyon, just up river of Scott Camp to the east side of the Whirlpool, to be too unstable and they cut it down for safety reasons (which I'm sure was needed, as that canyon would be lethal to fall into). Now you cant go over to see Scott Glacier and the lake up close, unless you ford the Whirlpool. That looked thigh deep and quite fast. We didn't try. Forgot to ask the Wardens we saw if they plan on fixing this.
- The trail between Kane Meadows and the Pass is very wet and muddy and instinct.

Pics here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/806173...2145371/page1/

I'll probably post a blog post later.
Trail Talk likes this.

Last edited by alisekera; 09-14-2015 at 10:43 PM.
post #930 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisekera View Post
Went up to Athabasca Pass from Sept 8 - 13th.

Pics here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/806173...2145371/page1/

I'll probably post a blog post later.
This is definitely worth a full report. Glad you had some sunshine later on the trip!

What lake is this?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page