Canadian Rockies Recent conditions reports - Page 60 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #886 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Saturday June 6th, did the hike up to Rawson Lake.

Decent amount of snow for the last half KM of the trail right at the lake, pretty muddy as a result. When getting to the lake not much space ot relax due to the snow. Gorgeous views but if you can wait, id say wait. Otherwise plan to get a bit of snow inthe shoes as you trek to a quiet spot to have lunch upon arrival. Was a pretty busy trail too considering.

One step at a time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #887 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey guys,
I am fairly new to hiking with very little hiking experience from school. I visit Banff and Jasper regularly for camping but its usually with family and friends who aren't into hiking/ backpacking. I am wondering if there are any casual groups or clubs that you can join for this type of stuff. Thanks.
post #888 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow33 View Post
Hey guys,
I am fairly new to hiking with very little hiking experience from school. I visit Banff and Jasper regularly for camping but its usually with family and friends who aren't into hiking/ backpacking. I am wondering if there are any casual groups or clubs that you can join for this type of stuff. Thanks.
Where are you located? U of C outdoor center has a number of guided hikes and hiking programs. The MEC site also has a list of local clubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #889 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Did the Baldy Pass loop on Sunday (June 7th) was a perfect day for it. Trail is completely dry and clear between the Forestry center and Baldy Pass parking lot
post #890 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Summit Master

Top of Paradise valley under Horseshoe Glacier looking towards Wastach Pass:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horseshoepano_sized.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	51609  

Baker2008 likes this.
post #891 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Anybody been up Banded Peak or anything similar in Elbow Valley?
post #892 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Anybody been up Banded Peak or anything similar in Elbow Valley?
Check out the TR section of this site for Alberta, there has been plenty of activity down that way. I think most everything there is currently in great shape. But don't quote me on that
post #893 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks - thought of that and saw the Glasgow TR right after posting!
post #894 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Alpine rock climbing, ice climbing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, sea kayaking, kite surfing

And the Elbow Traverse was done last weekend seems without a hitch http://www.meetup.com/Calgary-Scramb...nts/223156824/
post #895 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 12:54 AM
ERK
Hittin' the Trails

Boundary Peak and/or Tangle Ridge conditions?

Going to Jasper June 28th - July 1 and looking at potentially camping in the icefields area. But if they are still full of snow I think I will save that area for later in the season.
post #896 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Default Bourgeau Lake

Hiked up to Bourgeau Lake yesterday with a group. A little bit muddy in a few places (specifically next to the new bridge and up in the meadow). Saw a momma grizzly with two yearlings (they were a ways off up the valley wall, but momma was being vocal so we moved along). A bit of rain on the way up, but things were beautiful at the lake and mostly sunny on the way down.

Got to see the difference between responsible and irresponsible dog owners up close. One couple came up with their two dogs, friendly, well behaved, and on leash. Once they got to the lake they moved away from the other folks having lunch to let them play. Overall a great example of considerate dog owners where everyone had a good time. On the way down we came across the second group, music blaring, puffing away on cigarettes, both dogs off leash, running around snapping at each other (almost pushing one of our group off the trail), and bristled when we suggested that they put them on leashes (not only because a: it's illegal, but b: due to the Grizzly bears up the trail). Got all pissed off that "everyone" was telling them what to do (apparently we weren't the first to suggest they leash up) and that we should all mind our own business.
post #897 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Got all pissed off that "everyone" was telling them what to do (apparently we weren't the first to suggest they leash up) and that we should all mind our own business.
Yes. Don't really want to start this discussion in conditions update thread, but it is always the owner isn't it; never the dog. There is recent similar example on BC North Shore, to the point hikers are saying they will start carrying bear spray -- because of ill-behaved dogs!

Thanks for the update, was thinking heading that way soon. How much snow -- if any -- is there above Bourgeau lake, i.e heading to Harvey Pass?
post #898 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Being outside! Hiking, Scrambling, Trail running

Quote:
Hiked up to Bourgeau Lake yesterday with a group. A little bit muddy in a few places (specifically next to the new bridge and up in the meadow). Saw a momma grizzly with two yearlings (they were a ways off up the valley wall, but momma was being vocal so we moved along). A bit of rain on the way up, but things were beautiful at the lake and mostly sunny on the way down.

Got to see the difference between responsible and irresponsible dog owners up close. One couple came up with their two dogs, friendly, well behaved, and on leash. Once they got to the lake they moved away from the other folks having lunch to let them play. Overall a great example of considerate dog owners where everyone had a good time. On the way down we came across the second group, music blaring, puffing away on cigarettes, both dogs off leash, running around snapping at each other (almost pushing one of our group off the trail), and bristled when we suggested that they put them on leashes (not only because a: it's illegal, but b: due to the Grizzly bears up the trail). Got all pissed off that "everyone" was telling them what to do (apparently we weren't the first to suggest they leash up) and that we should all mind our own business.
Haha, we were there as well! Those bears were great to watch. We were sat at the lake when I spotted them moving fast across grass and scree on the south side below the lake, then crossed the trail to the lush north slopes, where they were digging and playing. So nice to see a mama with 2 cubs still.

And yep, we saw the groups with dogs...

Zeljkok - there are a couple of small drifts to cross in the usual places, with poles and reasonable care, there really are no issues. Views as ever, from the pass are fantastic (when you are not getting rained/hailed on).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8370.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	55146  

Name:	IMG_8391.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	55154  

Name:	IMG_8385.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	55162  

Name:	IMG_8373.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	55170  

zeljkok likes this.

Last edited by PhilR; 06-22-2015 at 02:24 PM.
post #899 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Yes. Don't really want to start this discussion in conditions update thread, but it is always the owner isn't it; never the dog. There is recent similar example on BC North Shore, to the point hikers are saying they will start carrying bear spray -- because of ill-behaved dogs!

Thanks for the update, was thinking heading that way soon. How much snow -- if any -- is there above Bourgeau lake, i.e heading to Harvey Pass?
We didn't head up to Harvey Pass due to time, but there were several trail runners heading up and down that way. The trail on the scree was snow free as far as we could see. Overall there wasn't much snow around, a little here or there, but I'd suspect that Harvey would largely be clear.
post #900 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:22 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Where are you located? U of C outdoor center has a number of guided hikes and hiking programs. The MEC site also has a list of local clubs
I live in Edmonton.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page