Canadian Rockies Recent conditions reports - Page 52 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #766 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 03:37 PM
V1
Scaling New Heights

Hi
Any idea if all ice is gone from Kananaskis Lks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #767 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by V1

Hi
Any idea if all ice is gone from Kananaskis Lks?
Lower Kananaskis Lake - 70% gone, Upper Kananaskis - 30%.
post #768 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Alpine rock climbing, ice climbing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, sea kayaking, kite surfing

Parker Ridge was great bluebird skiing on Sunday.

Panorama of Parker Ridge and Mt Athabasca

Panorama of Sask Glacier

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #769 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:24 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Was out kayaking on Lower Kananaskis Lake yesterday. There is a little bit of ice in the middle that can be easily avoided by sticking closer to the east shoreline, other than that it's ice free. It's very low right now.
post #770 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Scaling New Heights

Lawson is really icy on the last 400 meter, carry your crampons as well. Without them right now is almost impossible to stand on top of it. Glissade is possible for about 100 meter or so at lower elevation, otherwise it is just too icy to stop yourself. On the way down i had to kick twice into the firn snow to get 1" penetration.... I would carry two ice axes at the moment.
post #771 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 01:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Would a week or so from now be too early for the likes of the Wedge or Skogan Peak? Recent reports from Mary Barclay's and Lorette looked promising, but I haven't poked my nose in the region since January.
post #772 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I know it is in BC but does anyone have an idea of the conditions around Fisher peak near Cranbrook? A few friends and I were planning on heading up there in two weeks (June 28th). We did Crowsnest last year around the same time and I was curious to how to conditions compare to last year at this time? Thanks.
post #773 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Mt. Shark is doable, but there are still lots of snow near the treeline and the valley bottom is extremely muddy with lots of standing water.

post #774 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 10:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Engor
Mt. Shark is doable, but there are still lots of snow near the treeline and the valley bottom is extremely muddy with lots of standing water.
Nice shot!!

I climbed Joffre and Marlborough in the Aster Lake region with Steven and Ben this past weekend. The area around Aster Lake is still very wintry and requires some mountaineering savvy just to reach it via Hidden Lake. Hidden Lake was still low enough to avoid the bushwhack around it, but you have to approach via the Interlakes parking lot do to an area closure from the Rawson Lake turnoff to the Hidden Lake turn off thanks to the 2013 floods taking out a major bridge.

We crossed some severely exposed snow slopes on the headwall next to Fossil Falls and used snow shoes shortly afterwards. The camp area is still under at least 2-4 feet of snow and the biffy is still tipped (i.e. you can't use it). The lake is still almost 100% frozen over too.

Thankfully the snow was very supportive for us but if you were planning on heading into that area or doing Northover Ridge you have at least 2-3 weeks of melting before it's a normal hike.
post #775 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:

I climbed Joffre and Marlborough in the Aster Lake region with Steven and Ben this past weekend.
Just read the trip report on your website, WOW! There are some amazing shots, I love the pictures from the base of Joffre where you can see your route in the snow! It's unbelievable how much snow there still is up by Aster Lake.
post #776 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

As you would expect Holy Cross Mtn was in good shape last weekend. We did not take the snow down as we summited in the clouds and could not get a good look at that route. Also the snow seemed crappy (1-3 feet of new unsupportive snow on a hard crust??). The narrow summit ridge was a pleasant scrambling surprise. Overall, it was busy day in that valley (gunnery?) - there was two of us.

Originally, we had hoped to do Mist. But good advice from a buddy was that it would be too snowy. Sure enough from the car, it looked very snowy!
post #777 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Hittin' the Trails

post #778 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Its a fun glissade but good choice to avoid since you couldn't scope it out first.
post #779 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Moraine Lake - Wenkchemna Pass - Sentinel Pass
Snow on the way to Wenkchemna starts up right at Eiffel Lake, not fun kind of snow either, it was more like lottery snow. Most of the time its supportive, but then you hit the jackpot and sink up past your waist and hit the side of a boulder. I chickened out about a half click beyond the lake. Great icefalls and avalanches going on across the valley, and the winds and graupel further added to the lovely air of foreboding and majesty.

Similar story on the ridge approach to Eiffel Peak above Larch Valley, lots of snow in the trees, about waist deep, easier to walk on though as at least the ground was flat(ish). Still gorgeous, and totally worth the slog. Sentinel Pass is still blocked. First two shots are Wenkchemna, then Sentenel/Temple, lastly Eiffel Peak.

post #780 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Scaling New Heights

Mount hood has some snow on the top of it, carry an ice axe. Otherwise it is dry.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page