Canadian Rockies Recent conditions reports - Page 50 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #736 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Cox Hill and Junction Hill are both trail broken and hikeable without snowshoes as of Feb. 16 and 17, respectively. The snow is quite deep on Cox Hill up high, but the trail is well packed. Junction Hill only has significant snow in spots on the eastern ridge (not sure about the western ridge, but I think the Slow and Steady Hikers meetup group went that way on Saturday).

Nothing worthy of a trip report happened, but if you're interested in photos of the conditions, see:
Cox Hill: http://mattclay.zenfolio.com/cox_hill_2014
Junction Hill: http://mattclay.zenfolio.com/junction_hill_2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #737 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Trail to Kent Ridge Outlier is broken as of today. We followed mclay1234's GPS track:

http://mattclay.zenfolio.com/kent_ridge_north_outlier

From the Outlier we went up Kent Ridge North. The ascent slope is windswept, no avalanche danger.

Kent Ridge Outlier is a fairly popular snowshoe destination. I was surprised to find no sign of recent activity. I suspect many other popular destinations may require strenuous trailbreaking as well after a few weekends of bad weather and heavy snowfall.
post #738 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

On Sunday we snowshoed to Rummel Lake. There is an enormous amount of snow in the area, but of particular note is that it is finally supportive! While the trail is obviously well packed, wandering off through the woods anywhere from the road up to the hills above the lake resulted in absolutely no post-holing whatsoever.

I can't comment on what it is like in other areas, but if you've grown tired of post-holing this winter, now might be the time to get out.

Photos at http://mattclay.zenfolio.com/rummel_lake_2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #739 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Did Vermillion and Haffner yesterday. Start very early if you decide to follow our tracks.

Vermillion's summit ridge is dangerous but doable for competent scramblers:
post #740 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Summit Master

Can someone pls tell me about current snow conditions (snowline, snow depth) along Kananaskis Trail (Hwy 40) corridor. Specifically, are snowshoes required for things like Mount Kidd Lookout, Fortress Ridge or South end of Lawson? Thanks in advance
post #741 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Zeljko, it has snowed a lot in recent weeks. 2 days ago, the snowline was at the highway. Snowshoes will be needed for all 3 hikes that you mentioned for at least a couple more weeks. Snow is getting rotten later in the day so I'm not sure snowshoeing is a good idea at such low elevation, except if getting it done before noon.
post #742 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Eco
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking
post #743 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

lol... Hope it can "heal" the crevasses from last summer's dryness. Last year was for rock and this year will be for snow climbs. Can't believe we were skiing across Peyto Lake in excellent condition, it's almost mid May now...
post #744 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Alpine rock climbing, ice climbing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, sea kayaking, kite surfing

Was down in Waterton today (Sunday May 18) enjoying the sun and 18C.

Scrambled Mt Crandell via Tick Ridge and descended the easy line. Had to stick to the ridge as snow up to waist deep was just to the right of the ridge. Bypassed the upper narrow ridge which had snow in places by kicking steps and walking on the west side on hard steep snow. Descent was on snow for more than half way down, then onto the riverbed which appeared to have lots of disturbance from last year's floods (i.e. loose talus and boulders). Size 2 wet avalanche on south/southeast slopes down the descent gullies.

In general, residual snow levels were not that far above town (e.g. snow on upper trail of Bear's Hump). Big peaks towards Bertha and Akamina had visible cornices.

Another week or two of warm weather should make the Crandell ridge and descent much more snow free.

post #745 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Alpine rock climbing, ice climbing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, sea kayaking, kite surfing

Up at Bow Summit on Monday (May 19, 2014) and although it was calm (what no wind?) and about 6C at the car, we had great snow coverage up Observation Peak. Lots of wet and slab avalanches.

post #746 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I'm hoping the bridge(s) out at Tumbling Creek will be rectified by the time I go to do the Rockwall in July-Aug..
post #747 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

What's the missing bridge? this one?
post #748 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:What's the missing bridge? this one?
Not sure.. I'll call tomorrow..

Hoping it just means you can't get to to Tumbling Creek campsite from the highway, and that you can still do the Floe Lake to Paintpots or vice-versa..
post #749 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Rode the Lake Minnewanka mountain bike trail up to 10km mark last Friday evening. No snow to be seen although we passed by hikers who said they hit waist deep snow heading up to the pass where they turned around. Ice on the bay and snow in the mountains made for wonderful views.

post #750 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Regarding Rockwall, I called and Floe Lake to Helmut Falls and vice-versa won't be affected by the washed-out bridge at Tumbling Creek..

But they are not sure yet about the extent of the wild fire damage, so you can book, but make sure you call a week before and see if you need a refund (again)..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page