LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spicytuna

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by larryl

Does that mean I should bring my skis in at the end of the month to continue my ski season? Or when does the climbing season start? Should I bring both skis and climbing gear in? Hehe.
Climbing season started <s>a month </s>ago Larry!

I've already been up Yamnuska 4 times. Not to mention climbing at Wasootch, Barrier, Grassi Lakes, etc.
2 months ago...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking,backcountry camping, Running,rafting but really anything that gets us moving and sociable....I can spend a full afternoon in MEC and say I had a good day..lol!! Love being a mom to my 11yrs old son!!!

Porcupine crk trails North and South May 5,2009
NO elevation change with this hike but it was a great day out in the moderate weather yesterday.
The creek is running quickly with most the snow gone making for some fun hoping back and forth over the creek and picking your way through the rocks and banks.

South fork is more challenging to navigate due to the creek with the North fork being easy and loads of fun.

I have been out there twice in the the past 30days and both trips have been a bit wet but lots of fun.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Recently hiked up into Lynn Headwaters. The log that was used last season to cross Lynn Creek to gain access to Hanes (or vice versa) is no longer a viable crossing. It looked like it would take some time to find a way across later in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking,backcountry camping, Running,rafting but really anything that gets us moving and sociable....I can spend a full afternoon in MEC and say I had a good day..lol!! Love being a mom to my 11yrs old son!!!

A few photos of Porcupine Crk. 05-05-09
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Granticulus

spicytuna: With all your climbing, are you still interested in doing Compression Ridge (or have you already done it by now)?

G
Grant, to be honest with you, I've kind of lost interest in scrambling since I started trad climbing. Actually, I don't mind scrambling... but only on the way down. [)]
post #21 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Quote:

Quote:

Does that mean I should bring my skis in at the end of the month to continue my ski season? Or when does the climbing season start? Should I bring both skis and climbing gear in? Hehe.

I've already been up Yamnuska 4 times. Not to mention climbing at Wasootch, Barrier, Grassi Lakes, etc.
2 months ago...
That's true.

By the way, I saw your partner Rob at Yam about 3 weeks ago.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2 months ago...
That's true.

By the way, I saw your partner Rob at Yam about 3 weeks ago.
Yeah, he's been giving me grief about the amount of time I have been spending skiing this spring. How'd you know we knew each other?
post #23 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Yeah, he's been giving me grief about the amount of time I have been spending skiing this spring. How'd you know we knew each other?
I remembered him from your trip report where he broke his arm. Glad to see he's fully recovered.

I was part of a group of 3 Japanese climbers who asked his group if we could take some pictures of his guidebook. We realized at the trailhead that all 3 of us left our guidebooks at home... assuming the other would have brought it along. Hahaha!
post #24 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lobo

Some Jasper conditions.
Berg Lake- Good to White falls, then lots of snow
Glacier Lake-I will be day hiking there on either the 13th or 18th of May
These are all first hand reports as I have done them all. Of course, this could all change with a freakish late season snow storm. We didn't get any of the snow that hit southern Ab last week
Wow, you are an invaluable source of information for Jasper! Thanks a lot for this conditions report! I would appreciate if you could post a brief report after your hike to Glacier Lake. Too bad that Celestial Road is closed. I thought about cycling to Indian Snake Falls sometime this month.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Granticulus

spicytuna: With all your climbing, are you still interested in doing Compression Ridge (or have you already done it by now)?

G
Granticulus - I'm interested but only when we do Compression and Nihani in one day...know a bunch of guys wo did it last year and they went up between the two and bagged both peaks.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: the Lord Jesus, scrambling, Lego

wbylsma: When you say that you want to do both Compression and Nihahi, does that mean that you want to do both ridgewalks (about 14km of ridgewalking + 10km of in and out) or does that mean that you want to simply bag Nihahi (summit) and then do Compression Ridge? It sounds like you mean the latter.

I've already done Nihahi Ridge. I don't see why we wouldn't add Nihahi's summit to the day if we're going over to do Compression Ridge (after all, it's right there and it's one that I'd love to do again).

As you probably know, besides the distance, the difference between doing only one of the ridges and doing either just Nihahi or both ridges is the number of vehicles you need. If I'm right about what you're proposing, we only need one vehicle (unless there are too many in the party).

I just love planning the summer...

Grant(iculus)
post #27 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Engor

Quote:

Some Jasper conditions.
Berg Lake- Good to White falls, then lots of snow
Glacier Lake-I will be day hiking there on either the 13th or 18th of May
These are all first hand reports as I have done them all. Of course, this could all change with a freakish late season snow storm. We didn't get any of the snow that hit southern Ab last week
Wow, you are an invaluable source of information for Jasper! Thanks a lot for this conditions report! I would appreciate if you could post a brief report after your hike to Glacier Lake. Too bad that Celestial Road is closed. I thought about cycling to Indian Snake Falls sometime this month.
Hi Engor,
You can ride to Snake Indian Falls from Rock Lake. As far as I'm concerned, it's the more scenic way, although the riding isn't as good as from Celestine. That'll be good to go by the long weekend, although you may run into patches of snow around the lake. The falls aren't quite as spectacular in May as they are in July
post #28 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Hi Engor,
You can ride to Snake Indian Falls from Rock Lake. As far as I'm concerned, it's the more scenic way, although the riding isn't as good as from Celestine. That'll be good to go by the long weekend, although you may run into patches of snow around the lake. The falls aren't quite as spectacular in May as they are in July
Thanks Lobo. I heard that the ride from Rock Lake to the falls is quite challenging, not sure if I would like to take my friends there. Surprising to hear that the falls are more spectacular in July. I guess it's because the snow starts melting really good in late June.
I would prefer to do something more alpine in July. Indian Snake Falls in a good season opener when it's all snowbound higher up.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Eco
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking

Prairie mtn is damp/muddy for much of the route.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Canoeing Back roads exploration in general I love \"me, the wife and the bush\"

Diez Vista is clear and in good condition. All windfalls have now been removed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page