Favourite No-Cook Lunches - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dru

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Favourite No-Cook Lunches

We usually bring salami, hard cheese and pitas for lunches on overnight trips, but we are doing the West Coast trail in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to figure out what to do for lunches after the first couple of days.

What are everyones favourite no-cook lunches to bring on multi day trips?

Has anyone done nutella & peanut butter tortilla rollups for either breakfasts or lunches? How many days can you carry those before they start getting gross?

I typically carry lots of trail mix for snacks, and some beef jerky, clif bars and dehydrated fruit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 04:29 PM
win
Hittin' the Trails

Hard cheeses and salami last several days. I wrap cheese and salami in cheese cloth (absorbs the "sweat") and then put in a plastic bag. Pita, bagels, and other breads also last several days but after that, consider crackers. I wouldn't pre-make sandwiches.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I have packed tortillas and hummus powder ( I make the rehydrated hummus on the trail) to make " hummus roll ups" sometimes I include some dehydrated veggies , like green beans in the roll up, which give a nice crunch . I also bring individual " baby bell" cheeses, and they last quite a while, as they are each encased in wax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauscat View Post
I have packed tortillas and hummus powder ( I make the rehydrated hummus on the trail) to make " hummus roll ups" sometimes I include some dehydrated veggies , like green beans in the roll up, which give a nice crunch . I also bring individual " baby bell" cheeses, and they last quite a while, as they are each encased in wax.
Where would one find dehydrated hummus? Also, do you just add cold water?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoom4 View Post
Where would one find dehydrated hummus? Also, do you just add cold water?
I don't know about Calgary but Famous Foods in Vancouver carries dehydrated hummus. And yes, just add cold water. It is very good.

I also make a dehydrated Szechwan Chicken Salad that you just add water to in the morning. By lunch time it is ready to eat. Very light and very tasty! Here is the link to the recipe that I used:
https://www.backpacker.com/skills/re...-chicken-salad

Another item that we use (we can only find it in the states) is foil-pouch tuna salad - its tuna salad already made and ready to be put in a wrap.

Cheers!

"Smile, it is the key that fits the lock to everybody's heart."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:08 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

sunrype energy bars
gorp type mixes
mini peps
yogurt covered cranberries

don't premake sandwiches. they will just get soggy. don't bring bread. bread is bulky and moulds quickly. if you need some carbs, bring a pumpernickel loaf. amazingly dense and long-lasting

bring smoked cheese (gouda) that will last for a week or more unrefrigerated, instead of generic orange cheddar loaf
treord8 likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
sunrype energy bars
gorp type mixes
mini peps
yogurt covered cranberries

don't premake sandwiches. they will just get soggy. don't bring bread. bread is bulky and moulds quickly. if you need some carbs, bring a pumpernickel loaf. amazingly dense and long-lasting

bring smoked cheese (gouda) that will last for a week or more unrefrigerated, instead of generic orange cheddar loaf
Yeahhhh, gouda would be my first choice but my bf is a bit pickier and doesn't like "strong" cheeses (lol, gouda "strong"...) so we usually end up going with either monteray or white cheddar.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

In that case, try the Vergeer Kaas individually packaged cheese single servings. You can get them at Superstore. A bit pricy for the bag, but one bag feeds two people for a week, and they definitely last a week with no refrigeration. A bag comes with cheddar, gouda and edam.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
In that case, try the Vergeer Kaas individually packaged cheese single servings. You can get them at Superstore. A bit pricy for the bag, but one bag feeds two people for a week, and they definitely last a week with no refrigeration. A bag comes with cheddar, gouda and edam.
Ooh ok, I will look for those. Thanks!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:50 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Skizzing, climbing, backpacking, all things outdoors

I had nutella tortilla roll-ups (or as I called them, tortella rolls) for lunch nearly every day on the John Muir Trail (20 day trip) last summer. I kept my nutella and tortillas separate and created my treat at lunchtime every day. The tortillas fit perfectly at the bottom of my bear canister, so that worked really well. You would have to devise a way to protect them. I kept mine in a ziplock bag and didn't have any trouble with them going bad (I ate the last ones over a month after opening).

I didn't get sick of them; I actually found myself looking forward to them every day. Like I said, I thought of them as treats. Although everything seems like a treat when you're ravenous. Lots of calories too.

I also did a lot of snacking throughout the day (Clif bars, trail mix, gummy bears).
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hummus and veggie wraps, tuna wraps, jerky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page