A bunch of online outdoors recipes - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default A bunch of online outdoors recipes

When I was a volunteer at an outdoor instruction program, there was a list of recipes. I found it online (didn't see it mentioned on CT) and thought I'd point it out:

http://www.wildernessguide.com/tips.htm#Recipes

It's been a while since I've used the recipes, but I seem to recall doing the mexican burritos and pesto sauce and it was good, simple fare.

On a lighter side, there is an infamous one (second from the end) called "basic cooked bugs" coming from backpacker magazine in 95. For that you mash up worms, beetles, grasshoppers, crickets, and/or honeybees and add in some spice, etc. Anybody tried that one, or some variant?!? Extra protein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

LOL! I love the cooked bug recipe.
Now, I have to admit to eating a few earthworms and grasshoppers in my day. Being a Scout Leader, I think I've developed a cast iron stomach from some of the food I've been forced to eat at camp.
A few mornings to gross out the kids, I'd collect some earthworms the night before. Leave them in a bowl of water over night so they spit up the dirt, makes'em taste better. Add them to your eggs and scramble. It really freaks them out to see you eat it, and once the dirt is removed and they're cooked it really dosen't have much flavor, just adds a little bit of crunchy bits to your eggs.

----------------------------------------
"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent."
Dave Barry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hey Marc, that's a great story about the earthworms! Next time I bump into my buddies from the outdoor program I'll suggest to them soaking the earthworms in water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

After all remember the Diet of Worms

"Worms are 80% protein and 20% dirt" LOL!

You can nail that to the door.

----------------------------------------
"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent."
Dave Barry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page