Pemmican! Get yer ancient Pemmican! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Pemmican! Get yer ancient Pemmican!

This may be of special interest to only a few. (Ryan.in.yaletown, is that you?)

I have a small chunk of honest-to-god traditional pemmican: moose meat, bear fat and wild blueberries. About 10 years old sitting in my emergency kit. (Pretty good, huh? 10 years, hundreds of trips, never once did I need to eat this immortal, sustaining and really quite boring food.)

After 10 years I decided it had reached it's best-before date, got a fresh 150 grams of equally traditional pemmican for my kit from my "dealer", and if anyone wants to see just what real pemmican is after 10 years of bouncing in a pack just let me know.

It's not that it's any sort of culinary delight. Trust me, I have a fine appreciation for good food well prepared and served, and this stuff ain't that! It is very dense, nutritious, unbelievably durable (really, durability is it's best quality), perfectly non-poisonous not matter what you do to it. And boring as heck, I'm so glad to live in an age that I can buy French cheese, bread and wine and take it to a spot with wild mussels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 09:55 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Nice, got a photo?

I have a sesame seed bar that has been to just about every summit that I have been on. It sort of looks like amber and is rock hard. I figure that the day I need it, it's time to quit.

I also had a Mountain House Pro-Pak meal, that went on all of my multi-day trips, for several years, in case I needed an extra day. One trip I needed it and realized how tasty the Pro-Pak meals are. They're mostly all I eat on multi-day trips now.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

A photo can't possibly do justice to it. A blackish lump is all it looks like, unless I break it open then it looks like blackish small lumps. Trust me on this, pemmican is not photogenic, not exciting, not tasty. There is no way of preparing it for serving that can help it to shine. Because it is the genuine article the meat was rock-hard dried and pounded, so the texture is similar to gritty sawdust soaked in bear fat.

Durable and sustaining is all it's got going for it. 10 years in an emergency kit, and it remains just as horrible-yet-nutritious as it started. It will, however, deliver the energy and motivation to crawl 10 km on a broken leg so you don't have to eat it again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

I'm surprised that the fat of an old stinky bear will keep like that. It smells half rancid when freshly shot, let alone a decade later.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

It's been tight wrapped in plastic and it was a young fat berry-chomping bear, but I can't imagine it's not somewhat rancid by now indeed! I exaggerate somewhat about how much it still tastes about the same though, it really has passed it's best-before date.

There are ample tales of decades-old pemmican still being edible, it tastes faded in flavour and more closely resembling gritty greasy sawdust rather than"off" so I do believe that little blackish lump would deliver around 1000 slow-release calories in a real pinch, and be in no way unhealthy to you. I have a fresh 150 grams in my kit now, it will hopefully be replaced years from now still intact. Neat stuff. Glad I don't have to depend on it, dependable though it is.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Alexcanuck,
I have been interested in pemican for a while now and have tried to get some fat from the farm in Black Creek, here on Vancouver Island, that raises grass fed bison, but they sell all of their fat to someone that makes soap. Still, I'm interested in making some for myself, for no other reason than the experience.

You have a source? I'd love to try some if you'd be willing to pass some along. You don't have to introduce me to your "dealer" and you could be the "middleman" and reap the profits.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Edible and palatable are two different things.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Now I have to admit that I could be intrigued by real, honest-to-ghu pemmican.

Several years ago, in the course of my researches, I came acrossan interesting PDF file:

The Pemmican Manual.

http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

which tells how to make your own pemmican. I admit, I haven't had the time to try it. There is a place in the US which makes and sells pemmican, but US regulations require them to tell you it needs to be refrigerated....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page