Bakepacker Review - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking
Default Bakepacker Review

OK, I guess this has become a product review... I bit the bullet and risked cross-border shopping on-line and bought the small size Bakepacker. My first impression on opening the package was, “! could make this thing myself”. Then I looked at the total cost including shipping @ $26.99 (US) and reality set in. Sure I could make this design, but it would probably take me a realistic half a day, with getting materials, construction and such. It's a good deal on it's own, but it also comes with a nice booklet with instructions, recipes and even a sample freezer bag to try out. Also there were no problems shipping cross border, but we all know how that can easily become complicated. I'm guessing that the low value allowed it to pass under the radar. Bottom line, Bakepacker is a solid company and comes through with the goods.

I bought the smaller 5 3/4 inch dia model (110 gms) and it fits in my 6 3/4 diameter X 3 3/4 high pot perfect. When it's stored in the pot, for travel, there is still room for my larger Windpro stove, or my amaller Soto stove and a small fuel canister, in the pot.

My first attempt at using the Bakepacker was just making up some simple Bisquick mix, doing a half batch, since I have the small size unit @ 5 3/4 inch dia. I used a 2 litre freezer bag and mixed the ingredients inside and cooked it in the Bakepacker/ pot for the allotted time. I really wondered if a flimsy plastic bag would stand up to the heat, but it did and it cooked a large bisquit fine, even if just a bit too moist, but could easily be fixed by adjusting the mix or time cooked.

My next attempt was 1 cup bisquick, 1-big tablespoon of instant milk powder and 1 heaping teaspoon of “butter buds”, some poppy seed and about 1/4 cup water, or enough to make it mix. The dry ingredients weighed 155 gm. I let it cook a bit longer and it turned out really nice. The fuel consumption using a butane canister stove was about 19 gms of fuel used. So, I'm looking at about 175 gms of weight to make a bread product for one or two people, which weighs about what my normal freeze dried dinners weigh.

It might not find a spot on mountaineering trips requiring fast & light, but on easy backpacking trips or kayak/ canoe trips, being able to produce some nice filling bread stuffs could be do-able. Imagine being tent bound in a west coast monsoon and everybody having been “slept out” and having read all of the margins of the topo maps or charts and the backs of the food packages and YOU HERO, say something like, “Who would like coffee cake and play a game of “stones”? Can you imagine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Even for car-camping, it would be nice to have something fresh "baked".
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the review. I've been vaguely thinking about one of these for a while now. Your review sounds very positive. Maybe time to take the plunge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Minor correction... I included the fuel weight with the bakepacker recepie, when compaired to my regular dried dinners weight. Bakepacker dry mix= 155 gm and a Mountain House Pro Pak= 133 gm. Probably would use 15 gm to boil water for a Pro Pack meal and about 20 gms to cook a Bakepacker bread... so maybe 5 gms of fuel extra. Still, you could maybe feed two people with this combined dried dinner and baked bread.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page