Backpack Pho recipe - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Backpack Pho recipe

Amazingly easy to make. The key is to pre-cut and prep your goodies before you go. And of course, you can't bring 6 pounds of beef bones to make your stock, I guess.

For 2 servings.

4 tablespoons (at least) of Quoc brand Pho stock. I always bring too much and adjust to taste. I have found Quoc to be by far the most authentic tasting instant stock.

2/3 fill a pot with water. (no exact measurement, you know how much two of you will eat)
Add Quoc stock mix and adjust for taste. Keep hot, but don't boil.

Add:
1/2 cup of pre-cooked small chunks of pot roast, chuck, etc (even better if it was pre-cooked in Pho base beforehand. Bring it up frozen, it will thaw out en route and keep the rest of your goodies cold.

4 beef or chicken balls (from Vietnamese market) Bring these up frozen, too

2/3 cup of sliced yellow or white onion.

Add Pho rice noodles to the moderately simmering (not boiling) pot. They don't expand much, so add as much or as little as you want, but don't overload the pot too much, there are more goodies coming.............Cook for 5 minutes or so and test to see if they are ready.

You are now pretty well set. Either move the noodles to individual, large bowls (or both eat from the one pot) and pour the pho stock over the cooked noodles and now add on top:

2 thin sliced flank (Optional: raw and brought up frozen)
Juice from 1/2 lime
Sliced green onion
one sliced jalapeno
fresh basil and/or cilantro
fried garlic (optional)
raw shrimp or squid (optional)

It's so good, rain or shine, sunny or nasty out. With a little practice or beginner's luck, your Pho will taste almost as good as from a decent pho restaurant. Easy to cook, easy cleanup. Just remember to save yourself the bother and pre-cut as much as you can beforehand. You can sub beef out for chicken, pork, seafood or veggie. Quoc makes a stock base for all of this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Awesome, thanks for this.

Been looking for an authentic stock.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Good deal, you should be able to find it at any decent Vietnamese market in Vancouver. Here is the website, showing the dizzying varieties of stock.

http://www.quocviet.com/

It's funny. Most of the stocks are just a dry-ish paste. However, the beef pho has a teabag that you can dip for adding that signature star anise flavor. I usually just skip it or bring it along for a short soak in the stock. I find the stock itself comes up with a good enough pho flavor. Directions on the containers are a bit wonky. Most are written as if you are going to use the entire container. Thus, I scoop out a few tablespoons and taste as I cook until the flavor seems about right.

I looked for a good stock for a long time and an employee at a store (and subsequent internet reviews) got me on this stuff.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page