just-add-water bread dough - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking
Default just-add-water bread dough

This is the beta version of a "just add water" bread dough for camping, but a couple of people asked for the recipe so I'm posting now. Feel free to add to it.

I tried it at home and it tastes ok (round 2 is in production now). I was looking for something that didn't involve too much fiddling around with dissolving yeast and keeping things at a certain temperature, etc.

It's adapted from the Joy of Cooking 1997 ed. recipe for Naan. There are probably better recipes for Naan out there, but many involve eggs or melted butter. If you're serious about making Naan, this mix will probably suffice in the back country but I'd recommend watching some videos on how to roll, shape and brush with melted butter, etc.

At home combine:

2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
scant 1/4 cup powdered butter milk
2 tbs olive oil

At camp, empty the mix into your non-existent back country lightweight mixing bowl (still working on the bowl) and add 3/4 to 1 cup room temperature water. (The recipe calls for 3/4 cup but that turned out too dry and the yeast didn't go anywhere. The buttermilk powder may have absorbed too much) I suggest adding 3/4 cups water and mixing the dough until it forms a ball, then let it sit for 5 minutes. check the consistency and add more water if needed.

Knead for about 10 minutes, transfer to a bowl with some cooking oil and turn the dough to coat. Cover with plastic and let rise for 1.5 hours.

Divide into portions, roll into balls and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll into 8" rounds for flatbread or shape according to cooking method. Then cook. In an oven at home, 6-7 minutes on 475 F. In the woods...use your judgment.

Camp cooking options:

Stretch it out, wrap around a stick and toast on the fire
Fry in a non-stick pan
I think this dough would make good steam buns [8D]
Grill or bake in a hut stove...etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

If you have any experience with bacon d'oh! or a recipe for pig-in-a-bivy, I'll gladly leave some empties at your door step.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

I got to try the idea of wrapping it around a stick then holding over hot coals. Sprinkle with some sugar and cinnamon..... yeah!

Could do the mixing in a one-gallon ziploc. they are pretty durable can get packed out when done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Why a yeast dough? Not objecting, not at all, just something I've never thought of. What inspired you to take yeast outdoors? It could have possibilities.

I always do a basic baking powder mix and carry other ingredients to steer it sweet or savoury as desired. It can end up with fine chopped hard sausage, herbs and cheese dough wrapped on sticks (crumbly drop-offs can be a hazard even in camp, a kneaded yeast dough would be nice for that!), as wild berry shortcake, as toasted then pizzafied flatbread or as blueberry cobbler. A bit of creativity renders divine results with wild berries.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

dates and/or raisins mixed in with the dough, hmmmm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

@gearhed: purely in the interest of Science, I tried cooking by frying them in bacon fat on the stove. It made a passable snack. Unfortunately the value of empties hasn't kept pace with the price of bacon so you'll have to work on a better offer

@alpalmer: cinnamon + sugar sounds good!

@alexcanuck: why yeast bread? Well, mostly for the challenge I suppose. I like yeast breads more than quick breads, they make better sandwiches and keep a bit longer. But mostly for the challenge!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Summit Master

its not the ingredients, but more of the method and efficiency.
For shorter 3-4 day trips or even longer, making dough is usually more hassle and disapointments, rather than packing a partialy made bread or dough.
Seems car camping allows for more time and error and corrections. really its best to practice at home over the same source of heat as the bush version.

I make variable bread doughs from simple to complex, 2-5 per week, and even in a controlled enviro, results will fluctuate a fair bit. With yeast you will need steady mild temps and a sheltered enviro. Quickrise yeast will reduce proving time and likely better results for back country use.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man and family, relaxing with good friends and good food, hiking, paddling,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mad owl woman

At camp, empty the mix into your non-existent back country lightweight mixing bowl (still working on the bowl)
When I make my bannock I use a ziplock freezer bag to mix it rather than a mixing bowl...works fine. Would probably work for your naan bread too.

Thanks for the recipe. Will be trying it soon.

Cheers!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Off the Beaten Path

"Still working on the bowl" - check out the collapsible dog water bowls at a pet food store! Not very large, but I was just thinking yesterday how well this would work as a bowl for camping (assuming your dog has not been drinking out of it in the meantime).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

^good idea!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page