BakePacker - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Bags can be reused a limited number of times. A tiny leak totally ruins results so be conservative.

A partial cooking and then once the baked good is set, finishing it propped up toasting in the fire heat can give a nice crust. Same principle can turn out pizza-ish dishes, cook the crust and set the toppings in a pan, then toast the top at as steep as angle as you dare in front of a fire, frequent turning.

I still recommend perfecting Bannock, it can be superb and the same basic mix can turn out as a herby savoury extra butter crust over little trout, breakfast biscuits or as a sweet shortbread full of red huckleberries in a blueberry sauce. No oven required, a stick (with a few prongs for grip, some engineering needed, the bannock slowly sliding off into the fire is a teachable moment all kids should experience before they're 8), a fire and some time turning it slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Prother, I live in Vancouver and have a po mail box in Blaine, so no stress in ordering it. i just drive over the border and pick it up. saves a lot of stress.

i will keep u posted on results.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Still, I think my main interest is to be able to make some bread stuffs without mixing bowls and frying pans to clean up after.

The whole attraction to baking in a plastic bag, that was also used to transport and mix the ingredients, and doing it over boiling water needing little watching over while it cooks is very appealing. It's like no think, no mess baking on a 114 gm unit, that fits into a pot that I would already be carrying.

Doesn't get much simpler than that!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page