Good diet for extreme hiking in tropcial regions - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Summit Master

This dude is vegetarian, maybe soy protein would be more appropriate. If it were me, I'd just eat real food, but it ain't me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy
TVP gives you terrible farts!
With a vegetarian, how can you tell?
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

This dude is vegetarian, maybe soy protein would be more appropriate. If it were me, I'd just eat real food, but it ain't me.
Good point. He eats eggs though so whey (from cheese production) might not be objectionable.

Kyle, seeing as we're talking diet here why not see a dietician there and have them help you through all these questions. Maybe the cost of consultation would be worth it if you can avoid expensive supplements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

thanks guys, very good info. I only dont eat actual flesh. I still eat "byproducts" and stuff related to animals, just not the actual meat. I try to avoid any animal related food, but meat is the only thing i absolutely wont eat. other things i will eat if i find them necessary. I admit i eat fish probably once a month as well.

I would love to see a dietician, but things out here are not quite the same as back in Canada. They exist here but the quality is sub-par and the language barrier is huge (my native language is English, local language ability is not great).

still reading, so not fully decided on what supplements to get. also going to check out costco next time i can get into the city and compare their brands online.

after 3 hour day today, then rains hit, i was absolutely DONE. my legs were shaking and i had to crawl in some spots. Wow, i thought i was better than this haha. but i am sure its not my muscle but my lack of actual energy. Nothing a big dinner didnt solve, but would like to be maintained out there better. this was with seed/nut/fruit mix and water. clearly not enough. just experimenting.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Summit Master

One way to keep going out there is to switch from the traditional heavy carbohydrate diet to a more protein and fat rich diet, but you may get "carbo flu" for a while as your body is used to using glucose for energy. You could read some of this dude's stuff:
http://www.gnolls.org/index/
or here:
http://eatingacademy.com/
But, be warned, this is fringe stuff that you'll never hear from a dietician and most people are keen to dismiss as a fad.
If you eat a proper diet, you really shouldn't need all kinds of costly supplements but you might have to be a bit flexible in your thinking. With the exception of some electrolyte replacement due to excessive sweating that happens in the tropics.

Just out of curiosity, what is it you are actually doing for work?

Good luck with it anyway. There is lots of conflicting advice out there, all of which sounds good and backs itself up with "science" and it's pretty hard to sort through, on a true scientific basis, what really is the optimal human diet. You could do the n of 1 experiment, where you change your diet around with little tweaks and see what works for you. The only caveat is that you sometimes have to go through a rough period before you begin to feel better on any new dietary change.

I think one thing the research conclusively shows, and even the high carbo/low fat junkies will agree is that protein is the most filling food to eat. But, again it's tough to get adequate amounts of protein on a vegetarian diet. If you are eating mostly carbos you really are going to have to expect blood sugar spikes and troughs from the insulin response and that makes a person hungry.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page