ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Backcountry Recipes (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/)
-   -   So I bought a dehydrator... (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/46522-so-i-bought-dehydrator.html)

dougz 10-31-2013 07:11 PM

So I bought a dehydrator...

Any tips? Bets for when it appears on 'Buy and Sell'?

BackCountryPunk 10-31-2013 08:46 PM

Slice yer bananas lengthwise for a delicious banana jerky.

Aqua Terra 10-31-2013 09:13 PM

get the trays that can keep wet food, normally it only comes with screen trays, you could line them with wax paper, but the solid trays work great and clean easy.

dougz 10-31-2013 09:52 PM

It came with one flexible tray with slightly smaller holes, but I doubt that's the one for making fruit roll ups.. Will have to get that when I'm back in PG, and one of those guns to make meat jerky..

I'll try doing that trick with the banana, thanks!

Aqua Terra 10-31-2013 09:55 PM

You may have to order the solid trays, I think I got London drugs to bring them in, not sure, been awhile,. but it takes a few weeks also, get them asap

wildtrekker 10-31-2013 10:07 PM

Let me know how it goes, I could see myself getting one in the future.

dougz 10-31-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

quote:You may have to order the solid trays
I found them on the London Drugs website.. I know they have the jerky guns, too.. I would have gotten one at the same time, but Svetlana was already giving me the Evil Eye..

Aqua Terra 10-31-2013 10:28 PM

the evil eye will turn into a wink, and maybe some other fun things.
try it out :D

TheShadow 10-31-2013 10:51 PM

For quick 'n easy jerky...just get the butcher to thick-slice some corned beef (or pastrami). You can brine it in liquid smoke for a while, then dry it. Yum.

DALAJS 11-01-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by dougz

I know they have the jerky guns, too.. I would have gotten one at the same time, but Svetlana was already giving me the Evil Eye..
Haha! It definitely took some creative explaining when my girl found my Jerkey Gun.... Makes great jerky though!

prother 11-01-2013 08:25 AM

Doug, If you haven't yet bought a jerky gun... don't. I have one that I'll give to you.

big onion 11-01-2013 04:39 PM

Semi-freeze your meat, slice it thin yourself (I use a cleaver.). This works well and gives nice, even slices. Eye of Round has the least fat and has produced my favourite product.

alexcanuck 11-01-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by TheShadow

For quick 'n easy jerky...just get the butcher to thick-slice some corned beef (or pastrami). You can brine it in liquid smoke for a while, then dry it. Yum.
I've made a few cured meat dishes like corned beef (the real stuff starting with a tough grass-fed cow and plenty of spices, not the pallid sorta-imitation that you can buy in plastic). It is amazing how much it shrinks down in the brine. 50% of the water is gone, so my point is that it is halfway to jerky to begin with. A very good starting point for a dehydrator.

Traditionally, when salt was readily available for food preservation meats would usually be brined before drying.

dougz 11-01-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

quote:Eye of Round has the least fat and has produced my favourite product.
In the instructions it says the jerky is less chewy with ground meat, so I'll get that type of cut and sick the food processor on it.. I can add seasoning that way, too..

Quote:

quote:Haha! It definitely took some creative explaining when my girl found my Jerkey Gun..
'it's a device for making home-made jerky'

didn't cover it? ;)

Quote:

quote:I have one that I'll give to you
Nope, was going to do that today.. Thanks! I tried to email you by clicking on your name, but it doesn't seem to be working right now.. Mine is dougz AT persona.ca so if you could email me I'll send you my address. Just let me know what the postage runs you, or send it collect (can this be done?).

How much liquid smoke do you need for the pastrami? ie. Do you add it to water, and if so what's the ratio? Where does one even get it?

I peeled and cored it a pineapple today to try drying it.. Holy HELL, what a pain in the ass!

Definitely going to get the canned ones from now on..

prother 11-01-2013 05:52 PM

Doug,

I didn't have time this morning to completely explain my post about a free jerky gun for you.

I make my jerky from a good roast cut of meat, cutting it thinly cross grain and marinate it in a concoction (recipe somewhere on this site) for 24 hrs before I dry it. I'm very satisfied with the way my jerky turns out.

So, when a friend gave me the jerky gun and a bunch of packs of seasoning, a few years ago, I tried it out . It doesn't come even close to what I make from scratch, so the jerky gun and spice packs sits idle.

If you want it, you can have it for free. Total package weight is about a kilo, so if the postal costs are over $5 I'd like to be compensated (I'm on Vancouver Island), otherwise $5 is no problem for me to absorb. Send me an e-mail if you want it.

Peter