Food, glorious food - Counting calories - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp
Default Food, glorious food - Counting calories

It's been part of the discussion here - https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=57895 - but it is more than worthy of it's own thread, so......

The above thread has given me a lot of "food for thought"...hehe.
I have to say it's one of the things I love about backpacking, I've been doing trips for more than 3 decades now and I'm still learning how to do things better.
Let's talk about food, I'd love to improve on my meals without taking the weight penalty or at least not increasing the weight load by too much. Specifically, I'd like to ensure that I'm eating enough to get the caloric content I want/need.
Here is my "standard" backpacking menu, it doesn't fluctuate much. I'd be interested in seeing other people's "standards". If it isn't too much bother, if you could include calorie counts, it would help, if you don't want to/can't be bothered, that's fine I can easily look it up.

Menu

Breakfast

2 pkgs of Instant Apples & Cinnamon Oatmeal - 320 cals
2 cups of Coffee @ 2 teaspoons of sugar - 32 cals

Lunch

2 pieces of cheddar cheese - 160 cals
2 granola bars - 360 cals
1 piece of Landjaager sausage - 200 cals
2 handfuls of trail mix - 340 cals

Supper

1 dehydrated meal - 650 cals

Total Caloric Intake - 2062 calories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Add some whey powder to your oatmeal!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeffweichel

Add some whey powder to your oatmeal!
I prefer adding the whey powder to my dehydrated meal in the evening instead. Protein is nice after a hard day of work and helps to throw me into a deep warm sleep.

My backcountry meals are pretty boring. I generally try to stuff myself before the trip.
On the trip I will bring a bunch of bars (Pro Bars, Lara Bars, Stinger Bars,) and dehydrated food backs (sometimes with a scoop of whey powder to add to them.)

I don't have a system or keep track. It's probably around 3-5 bars/day and one dehydrated meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

I hadn't considered whey powder at all, not a bad idea, a good protein boost and not much additional weight. Thanks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

It's been awhile since I've done a calorie count of my hiking food, but I know it's on the high side. I make most of my own food and sometimes sacrifice flavour a bit in favour of nutrition.

On the instant oatmeal front, I make my own. 100% anti-caking agent free, and I can control the amount of sugar. It works out to about $.75/serving. If I leave out the premium ingredients, about $.45/serving.

The recipe varies but the base is:

3 parts quick (not instant) oats
1 part instant quinoa flakes
1 part ground flax seed
pinch of dulse flakes
whole milk powder or whey powder

Coconut or ground almonds make a good addition, as does freeze-dried fruit.

One of the things I've learned about whey powder is that the protein content varies - standard whey powder is about 14% protein (not sure what the other 86% is). Not a big deal if you're looking for a boost to recipes but if you're counting grams of protein it's something to be aware of.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

For a single night trip it would usually be:

Breakfast:
Bagel with loads of cream cheese + coffee

Snacks:
Clif Bars, Fruit leathers, gel shots, some form of chocolate bar

Lunch:
Varies. Sometimes cheese, sausage and crackers, sometimes a peanut butter and nutella wrap

Dinner:
If it's cold: Instant Noodles with a ziploc of cooked chiken, peppers, onions + cheese + Franks Hot Sauce (good for getting the circulation going before getting into my sleeping bag). If it's really cold I'll probably bring Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It solidifies like butter in the deep freeze so you can spread it on crackers or just add it with the noodles.

If it's warm: Dehydrated meal with a wrap and then just eat whatever I didn't get around to eating during the day.

I find there needs to be some comfort food included. Something to look forward to at the end of the day that isn't just calories for calories sake. Usually some form of chocolate or something else I usually wouldn't eat at home.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

This discussion is missing Fireball.

A shot of fireball cinamon flavoured whiskey before bed would make the even coldest nights toasty warm. Never do a trip without at least a couple of shots ready and in my pack.

I usually like plain oatmeal with some cinnamon sprinkled in, whey powder and a large glob of peanut butter for breakfast. Bagel with PB+J for lunch, and then whatever I feel like lugging in for dinner.

Snacks will be gorp, apple with PB, cheese, pepperoni sticks, that sort of thing. Sometimes just a couple spoonfuls of PB is a great snack too (it's super calorie dense)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Fireball, no. Single malt scotch, yes
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The "whiskey" part of Fireball should always be mentioned in quotes, if only because there's no better term for it except "grain alcohol".

It's like the stuff they put in cones at McDonalds. They have to legally call it "soft serve" because it is not actually ice cream.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sixwings

This discussion is missing Fireball.

A shot of fireball cinamon flavoured whiskey before bed would make the even coldest nights toasty warm.
I like the odd bit of fireball also but the sensation of being warm from drinking it is actually the feeling of your body losing heat quicker than normal. Alcohol doesn't warm you up, it actually lowers your core temperature. That feeling of being "toasty warm" is your body losing core heat through the dilation of blood vessels near the surface of your skin.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Off the Beaten Path

leimrod is that your summer menu selection? If so do you worry about keeping the food chilled (I assume this would mean dunking it in a stream/lake), or just assume that it will not spoil in such a short time?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I've premixed up peanut butter, nutella and honey and then eaten it with either bagels or softshell tortillas many times before and I really enjoy that as well. Good protein and calorie boost as well.

I like your oatmeal recipe MOW, I really don't like oatmeal much though and would happily abandon it for a breakfast choice that is as easy to prepare and tastes better. Any breakfast suggestions?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Both spiced foods and alcohol open up your capillaries and put more blood to your skin and extremities, giving you that warm glow feeling. In reality, it's moving your core heat outward and you are cooling down. Wake up shivering later, better to eat a chunk of chocolate.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

At bedtime I eat Cashew nuts. Slow release calories that keep me warm into the night.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Although it does dilate your capillaries, alcohol also packs 7 calories per gram, which is better than carbs or protein and almost as good as fat.

On hard winter climbs the Russian alpinists take cubes of pig fat(speck) and vodka, because neither will freeze

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page