Food, glorious food - Counting calories - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Although it does dilate your capillaries, alcohol also packs 7 calories per gram, which is better than carbs or protein and almost as good as fat.

On hard winter climbs the Russian alpinists take cubes of pig fat(speck) and vodka, because neither will freeze
Bacon vodka?... just might work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

How about this then?

Breakfast

2 - 8" whole wheat tortilla - 274 cals
Peanut butter, nutella and honey mixture (2tbsp each) - 515 cals
2 cups of coffee @ 2tsp sugar/cup - 64 cals

Lunch

2 pieces of cheddar cheese - 160 cals
2 granola bars - 360 cals
1 piece of Landjaager sausage - 200 cals
2 handfuls of trail mix - 340 cals

Supper

1 dehydrated meal - 650 cals

Total calories: 2563 calories

Best part, no freaking oatmeal!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Headed for the Mountains

For those who love nutella, but might want a healthier option, it's pretty easy to make yourself.

2 cups raw hazelnuts (240g)
1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
3/8 tsp salt
optional: 2 tsp oil (for extra smoothness, but it's still very smooth if you leave out the oil. Some people like to use hazelnut oil for extra flavor)
1/2 cup milk of choice (for extra calories, use whole cream. For non-dairy, use almond or coconut cream)

Roast hazelnuts for 8-10 minutes at 400 F. Rub them together in a paper towel to get the skins off. (It's ok if a few stubborn skins won't come off.) In a Vita-mix or food processor, blend the nuts until they've turned to butter, then add all other ingredients and blend a long time until it's smooth like Nutella! A Vita-mix makes it extra creamy, but a Cuisinart food processor works as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Banned

I don't know about calories, but I find instant oatmeal just doesn't give me enough energy for the day. I add a bunch to it (quinoa flakes, sugar, whole milk powder, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, current raisins, brown sugar) and increase the portion to about 750 mls. That keeps me going.

My favourite, though, is macaroni with alfredo sauce! I cut sausage into the mix to get fat and protein. It takes a few minutes longer to cook but keeps me going.

What about lunch? Lunch foods are so heavy and they get boring. I added chocolate covered espresso beans to my trail mix and that was a definite improvement, but I hope to avoid eating another granola bar or fruit bar.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mad owl woman

One of the things I've learned about whey powder is that the protein content varies - standard whey powder is about 14% protein (not sure what the other 86% is). Not a big deal if you're looking for a boost to recipes but if you're counting grams of protein it's something to be aware of.
The rest of it is basically Lactose (a sugar). I'm lactose intolerant so I usually avoid whey protein unless it says whey protein isolate (most lactose taken out) or if I have lactase enzyme pills with me.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Mix up and enhance your breakfast by using one package of oatmeal and three table spoons of dragons blend Holy Crap cereal. Add a package of apple cider for some the best breakfast oatmeal ever. The Holy Crap is full of good stuff and the cider adds the sugar and sweetness to bland oatmeal. Really cranks up the calorie count.

For dinners, I bring a small container of extra virgin olive oil. 100 calories per tablespoon, me thinks. I add two table spoons and about 50grams (or so, my measuring spoon isn't accurate) of raw chia to my dehydrated meals just before adding the boiling water. Is an extra 440 calories (give or take) and only makes the meal better and much more filling since the chia expands so much with water. That being said, you have to add more water to the meal. If its cold out, warm the olive oil in your pot while heating the water, it solidifies at low temps.

Man, getting hungry now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page