ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Backcountry Recipes (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/)
-   -   Favorite Backpacker Pantry/ Mtn House meals (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/44976-favorite-backpacker-pantry-mtn-house-meals.html)

BillyGoat 05-30-2013 05:12 PM

Favorite Backpacker Pantry/ Mtn House meals

I'm considering buying a few of these meals for some backpacking this summer, but I haven't tried very many of these. I know some are very good (like the Mtn House seafood chowder) but I remember hearing some are best avoided. Anybody have specific meals to be recommended or avoided?

dougz 05-30-2013 05:40 PM

Best: Mountain House Spaghetti with meat sauce

Worst: Mountain House maccaroni with cheese

From what I've tried so far..

Steventy 05-30-2013 05:55 PM

In general, I find that the more elaborate meals are more likely to elicit a love/hate reaction.

Meals with rice pack down better than pasta meals and that is helpful if you are carrying all the meals for a few people on a multi-day trip.

Pepper Steak and Rice by AlpineAire is a safe bet. I'd eat that anytime.
http://www.alpineaire.com/index.php?...roducts_id=198

I've had a meal or two with pineapple in it and that is a treat. I'm not sure what it was called.

The amount of sodium in the AlpineAire meals has been reduced in the last year or two and that is a good thing.

no quitting 05-30-2013 06:00 PM

I liked the chicken and rice and the turkey tetrazzini, and as a treat, the dehydrated ice cream is kinda cool too :)

dougz 05-30-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

quote:The amount of sodium in the AlpineAire meals has been reduced in the last year or two and that is a good thing.
Don't we want some sodium after sweating all day, though?

I'm going to try and make my own, now that I can see how cost-effective and relatively easy it is. That, and get stuff that's pretty much ready-to-go hiker food, but you wouldn't know it, without the $8 price tag (Sidekicks, Kraft mac and cheese, Idahoan potato flakes, Mr. Noodles, etc.).

Otto 05-30-2013 06:33 PM

I wonder what ever happened to the seafood chowder? Sorely missed.

prother 05-30-2013 06:38 PM

I'm a big fan of Mountain House meals, but like almost all companies that make this stuff, the two servings meals are not enough for two and too much for one. The Mountauin House “Pro-Pak” meals are the exception in that they really will feed one person. With the regular two person meals, sometimes I'll split them in half and add some of my home grown/dried veges and some cheese to make two real meals out of the so called two meal packs.

Mountain House also makes the very best eggs with bacon of any other company, bar none.

MEC carries only a small selection of Mountain House. REI carries the entire line. My favorite Pro-Pak dinner meal is Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice... or maybe Chicken Teriyaki with Rice... or maybe Chili Mac with Beef... or maybe...

Ryan.in.yaletown 05-30-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by prother

Mountain House also makes the very best eggs with bacon of any other company, bar none.

^^ Agreed.

-Ryan

dlofting 05-30-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

quote:I'm going to try and make my own, now that I can see how cost-effective and relatively easy it is. That, and get stuff that's pretty much ready-to-go hiker food, but you wouldn't know it, without the $8 price tag (Sidekicks, Kraft mac and cheese, Idahoan potato flakes, Mr. Noodles, etc.).
Great to hear you're going to make your own because Sidekicks, Kraft and Mr Noodles are not food, they're just filler....haven't tried Idahoan potato flakes. Mountain House meals are one step above so I for one, will suffer with the $8 price tag.

Spunky 05-30-2013 07:10 PM

My MH favs are the sweet & sour pork and the spaghetti & meat sauce - both in the Pro-Pack sizes. Like Prother mentioned, the 2 serving size is not enough for 2 but too much for 1 so I stick to the Pro-Packs, it's a perfect serving for one hungry hiker. The Jamaican chicken is super tasty but man, I sure hope you're alone in your tent cause the outcome is pretty smelly!!! I think Boris likes the MH Lasagna too - just watch for the 'cheese' that cakes onto your utensil, sticks like glue!

I've never been a fan of the Backpacker Pantry stuff ...

calixtomoon 05-30-2013 07:21 PM

Backpacker Pantry Pasta Primavera is my favorite

Spunky 05-30-2013 07:31 PM

That reminds me - the MH pasta primavera rocks too!

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by calixtomoon

Backpacker Pantry Pasta Primavera is my favorite

BillyGoat 05-31-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

quote:I wonder what ever happened to the seafood chowder? Sorely missed.
I found some at Yeagers in Bellingham.
I was considering buying the larger meal canisters as they are a bit cheaper per serving and the nice thing is that since it's in bulk, you can put whatever amount you want into a ziplock bag.

Otto 05-31-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by BillyGoatI found some at Yeagers in Bellingham.
At least they haven't discontinued it. The larger packages (Costco online?) look big; good shelf-life and the "prepper-size" (~$750.00) has plain veggies.

Thx BillyGoat, I'll check out Bellingham.

BillyGoat 05-31-2013 11:55 AM

Has anybody tried out this stuff from Harmony House? Looks interesting:

http://www.rei.com/product/756809/ha...ackpacking-kit

dougz 05-31-2013 12:27 PM

Looks pretty good.. Dunno how much it would cost elsewhere.

Where do you go to get REI stuff in Canada?

BillyGoat 06-01-2013 09:02 PM

REI is a U.S. company, but you can ship stuff into Canada, just costs more. Now this is an interesting offer from Costco Canada:

http://www.costco.ca/Shelf-Reliance%....10364319.html

Costco Canada seems to have a good selection of freeze-dried food if you are preparing for an apolcalyse.

pmicheals 06-01-2013 09:51 PM

I've decide to stay with home-made solutions in ziplocs or recyclable containers. I'm walking away from the sulphites, silicon packs and sharp edged foil pouches causing tears in my pack. That being said the Chicken A La King is my favourite.

DeNomad 06-07-2013 05:02 AM

The Mountain House Eggs with Bacon tastes good but isn't very filling in my opinion. Needs to go with something else for breakfast. Two of them would be about perfect for me.