ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Backcountry Recipes (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/)
-   -   Bannock for Boris (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/44915-bannock-boris.html)

blackfly 05-22-2013 10:19 PM

Bannock for Boris

AT, you asked for my bannock recipe, this is pretty much it but I just stole it off the internet anyway from this guy:http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/0...bannock-bread/

He goes to some extremes that I did not, for example the cast iron fry pan. However, I did not see this guy bake an apple pie either. :) (which, btw, I tried again on a canoe trip down Bowron lakes last year, and failed miserably, never again to realize the successful one I made that time at whachamacallit lake.

Remember, think spackle.

How to Make Bannock Bread

Ingredients

1 cup flour (white or a mixture of white and whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1 tbsp. shortening

Make the mix at home ahead of time. Sift dry ingredients, and cut shortening in with a pastry cutter or two knives until you have a granular, corn meal-like mixture. Package in zip-lock freezer bags. Double bag it if you're going to be on a long trip. I've found that you can make large batches at once and make enough bannock mix for a trip in about fifteen minutes. Just make sure you sift the dry ingredients well, so you don't get leavening problems.

Directions

Baking bannock is relatively simple once you get the hang of it. Your first ones will be dark and maybe burnt on the outside and gooey on the inside. Don't despair, just pretend it's a jelly donut and try again. The key is a consistent heat. While flames don't indicate a bad cooking fire, red glowing fires from hardwood are best.

1. Start with a small cast iron frying pan and oil it well.

2. Pour some water into the bag and squoosh it around in the bag (squooshing is a technical term). Because the water and baking powder form carbon dioxide to make the bread light, the faster you go from mixing to skillet, the lighter your bannock will be. There will be lumps, of course, but we call them flavor bursts. I say “some water” because how much you add depends on the humidity and of course, personal taste. You don't want it any thinner than a muffin consistency. If you've never baked a muffin, think spackle. You can distribute the dough with a poke of a finger or a stick or a spoon if you're the civilized sort. Remember, it's always easier to add water than take it out, right?

3. Squeeze the mix out of the bag and onto the warmed pan (not scalding hot — if the oil is smoking, it's way too hot). The pan can be warmed over the fire if you have a grate, or leaned against a few logs near the heat source. It shouldn't hiss or sizzle like a pancake batter…that means things are too hot. Cool it off and be patient. The bread will start to rise slowly.

4. Your bannock will start to look loaf-like. At this point you'll want to flip your loaf. A little shake of the pan and flick of the wrist can turn it over, but a spatula is fair game too. At this point, just keep turning it. You'll know when it's done. It'll look a lot like the picture here.

If you have a lid, you can try to cook your bannock dutch oven-style and put coals onto your skillet lid. Otherwise, you can turn it over to cook the top (carefully!) or else when the bottom is done, prop the pan up against a log with the top facing the fire. This is my favorite sort of “semi-reflector-oven” method. I believe it also makes a lighter bannock.

Baking bread in the wilderness is about taking the comforts of home with you and enjoying yourself, not choking down some freeze-dried Hungarian goulash that tastes like wallpaper paste. You can still eat tasty grub while getting in touch with your wild man.
:):)

Aqua Terra 05-22-2013 10:27 PM

sweet, still need to make this to actually call myself a mountain man :D
I think Lard is key, not some weird margarine or low grade butter.

Still remember your and Bishops sucess at making the Apple Pie at Slollicum in the partial rain and natural wood fire. YES[8D]

Aqua Terra 05-22-2013 10:36 PM

anyone having tips or good variances, I'd take the suggestions, may have to make a vid on this, for 2013 ;)

HagensborgViking 05-22-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

anyone having tips or good variances, I'd take the suggestions, may have to make a vid on this, for 2013 ;)
I do love me some frybread and spam, but that combo will kill you in no time. I like to have blackberries, or salmonberries (whatever is growing in the area) buried in the bread.

Aqua Terra 05-22-2013 10:54 PM

spam as in internet spam or the canned kind? both are unhealthy

Chaz 05-23-2013 02:29 AM

Looks like a great recipe!

Speaking of odd things to make while hiking, I once saw two guys camped at Lindeman Lake over Thanksgiving weekend a few years ago cooking a full on turkey over a fire! I was impressed!

Blucruisin 05-23-2013 10:41 AM

I often make bannock while out especially on longer canoe trips. Our fav is a sweeter bannock (think a bit of brown sugar, perhaps a couple tablespoons depending on how sweet you want your bannock) with dried berries - blueberries is an all time fav but other dried fruits, berries or raisins also work great.

I've also made savory bannock by adding dried seasonings, cheese and bits of ham or bacon.

When you've been out for a number of days it feels like you've just been to a bakery....tastes so good!

Cheers!

Aqua Terra 05-23-2013 09:50 PM

I know this had been discussed endlessly before, but its good to have a recent refresher topic, thhanks for posting.