Powdered Peanut Butter - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mad owl woman

I think it could have potential. I've been grinding almonds and using black sesame pdr in a breakfast drink. I'm a little wary of over-processed food that isn't bacon (which receives diplomatic immunity) so I wonder how they get rid of the fat?

Could be a good addition to instant oatmeal (with chocolate or dried bananas). Maybe Thai wraps.
As nullified points out... You really can't dehydrate fat.... It's implicit in the definition... Basic Chem 101

They must be using other things to simulate it... Like maybe milk powder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I was n Bellingham and bought some. Okay it's actually quite tasty
Here's the link for more information about it:

http://www.bettylousinc.com/products...p?id=287&ref=0

So no it's not a great source of carbs or fat but on shorter trips or times where carb loading etc isn't as much of a factor I'd say it's perfectly fine. I'm also thinking some of this would work great in a peanut satay [8D].
I see it as another lightweight lunch ingredient option.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, watercolour painting, chasing wildlife, backcountry cooking

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

You really can't dehydrate fat.... It's implicit in the definition... Basic Chem 101
My understanding is that if you grind peanuts into powder, they turn into peanut butter. Basic Food Manufacturing 101.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Hmm poweder peanuts, less fat than the greasy wet kind.

K
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mad owl woman

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

You really can't dehydrate fat.... It's implicit in the definition... Basic Chem 101
My understanding is that if you grind peanuts into powder, they turn into peanut butter. Basic Food Manufacturing 101.

I don't think your understanding of the basics is correct then. If you grind peanuts, they don't turn into powder, they turn into a paste. If you want to get qet a powder, I believe you'd have to get rid of the fat. Perhaps their is some other way around it, but I don't know what that might be.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Summit Master

If you grind up nuts, say in a food processor, you get a dryish powder. You should try it, or go buy some almond flour - which is simply ground up almonds - and bake yourself some tasty paleo muffins or pancakes. All the good fat included

Or better yet, go out hiking, climbing, skiing, anything.....
post #22 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Roasted nuts are used for nut butters, roasting helps release the fat so you get a butter. Raw nuts will yield a powder better described as wettish . It will clump with light pressure, but won't form a paste.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

They can remove the fat by dissolving the peanut butter in a solvent (ethyl acetate perhaps?), filtering out all the solids, and separating the fat from solvent by evaporation.

Another way to do it would be with supercritical carbon dioxide.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alexcanuck

Roasted nuts are used for nut butters, roasting helps release the fat so you get a butter. Raw nuts will yield a powder better described as wettish . It will clump with light pressure, but won't form a paste.
Nice. Yes, perhaps "paste" wasn't the best descriptor, but the point remains that (and I'm not really sure what anybody is arguing with), grinding up peanuts does not yield powder, it does not yield the substance being sold....I think that to get to the powder form, the process must implicitly involve fat removal. (again chem 101...though as I also stated, perhaps they have some method special method....regardless, the low fat content is to be expected)

post #25 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sandy

If you grind up nuts, say in a food processor, you get a dryish powder. You should try it, or go buy some almond flour - which is simply ground up almonds - and bake yourself some tasty paleo muffins or pancakes. All the good fat included

No, I don't think you will get a powder, certainly not like the product. Is it your ocntention then, that they simply grind the peanuts up forming the powder, and then purposely remove the fat? (as implied by your earlier question wondering why they remove the fat?)

On person wrote this in regard to grinding peanuts (usually a spoon of oil is added):

"It will probably take a little while of processing, but yes it will make peanut butter. I know food52 has a video somewhere of how to make almond butter using a food processor and it takes about five minutes. Peanuts will probably process to butter faster. As you're processing, it'll grind into a meal, then lump up like dough, and towards the end it will start spinning into a butter. The longer you process, the smoother it'll be. I like to add a little honey and a pinch of salt."

This site simply describes grinding the mix "into a paste":

http://www.ehow.com/how_8052534_can-...utter-oil.html

Quote:

Haha! That's the spirit, go for it Sandy!

PS. Regarding the almond flour:

"Pulse a few times until they are finely ground. Don't let it go for too long, otherwise the nuts will release too much of their oils and things will get pasty (which is ok, if you're going for nut butter.)"
post #26 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Summit Master

This dude said everything we need to know about this product....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HagensborgViking

Oh hey wow!
Powdered peanut butter! thank god. I was really beginning to lose faith in the pointlessness of being.

Take a jar of that out into the woods, and a jar of this to go along with it, and then all you would need is some water... and peanut butter, and voila! you have some peanut butter and water, and two cans of pointless shit.
Seriously, DCIPHER, how about a trip report, any trip report, this is a hiking website (climbing, skiing would work too).
post #27 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matt

They can remove the fat by dissolving the peanut butter in a solvent (ethyl acetate perhaps?), filtering out all the solids, and separating the fat from solvent by evaporation.

Another way to do it would be with supercritical carbon dioxide.
I had to give in and go looking...saw references to another powdered peanut butter..pb2. Apparently they just use mechanical pressure to extract the oil....resulting in powder....other methods do include chemical solvents, just as you suggest!
post #28 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

This dude said everything we need to know about this product....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HagensborgViking

Oh hey wow!
Powdered peanut butter! thank god. I was really beginning to lose faith in the pointlessness of being.

Take a jar of that out into the woods, and a jar of this to go along with it, and then all you would need is some water... and peanut butter, and voila! you have some peanut butter and water, and two cans of pointless shit.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but obviously some other people are interested in talking about the product.
Quote:

Seriously, DCIPHER, how about a trip report, any trip report, this is a hiking website (climbing, skiing would work too).
OH! LOL!!! I thought you were trying to post some random positive encouragment...not make a childish jibe! Sorry I took it wrong....um...OK...OUCH! Your insinuations about me, while wildly inaccurate, still somehow hurt me personally! I am sure everyone else in this thread is equally as hurt. Mission accomplished! Go for it Sandy! :-)

On a serious note, I do realize you're angry that I pointed out your original premise in this thread ie. the product was pointless because people only eat PB for fat, was incorrect. However there is no need for personal attacks, or to get bitter about it. I wish you had simply said: that's true, while this product won't be good for people who only eat PB for fat, some people eatpeanut butter because they like the taste.

PS. I always think it's ironically funny when somebody comes into a discussion thread raving about how they don't think the discussion is interesting, and that nobody should have the discussion. :-) Ah well...to each....
post #29 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Im sitting here enjoying some reconstituted delicious powdered peanut butter while I'm reading this and not really caring how it was made into a powder. Please do carry on.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

In some organic food stores you can buy fresh made peanut butter that is made in front of you at the time or purchase. It might not look like Kraft Smooth, but it's peanut butter. You have to stir before use because the oil floats to the top.

You can also buy almond butter in the same fashion and it has the exact same texture. And cashew butter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page