How do you spice up your oatmeal breakfast? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

SnowSeeker likes to add dried coconut, chocolate chips, and dried cherries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, climbing, photography

Last time I was down visiting my sister-in-law's family, she made oatmeal for the kids (well, everyone actually) in the crock pot. It was unbelievable. 2:1 milk to oatmeal, with a touch of vanilla and whatever kinds of fruit you want. She used quick oats and the slow cooker was on for an hour, but recipes online call for steel cut and 8 hours. I tried non-quick cook oats this weekend for an hour on 'low' and that didn't do it. A further 30 minutes on 'high' made them stupendous. I mean really, really good. Damn.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

I add a small container of Presidents Choice unsweetened apple sauce and a pinch of cinnamon or I add a tablespoon of blueberry jam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmicheals

Combine two tbsp of roasted ground sesame seed, 1/4 cup of ground hemp hearts (Costco), and 1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley and mix well. Spoon over top of each serving and blend into the oatmeal. The chopped parsley was an accident when I was making Tabouli and breakfast at the same time one morning. As it turned out the taste and texture of the added parsley was pleasant and rather refreshing.

So there you go. enjoy or not and add your favourite version of this simple breakfast staple.
Parsley eh?

I eat oats in variation almost every day and I'm liking these ideas!
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

As a backpacking or even a hostel meal (where you don't want to have too many dishes to wash) I'll just boil some water and add it to two or three packages of instant quaker oats, plus a large handful of trail mix. Lightweight, very filling, and you can pick what you're putting in your trailmix.

Too much sugar in the flavoured, packaged stuff, though, so I'll add one flavoured to two plain.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I soak large quantities of steel cut oats in whey and water overnight, before cooking with a bit of celtic sea salt. Then I store it in tupperware. It does not really have to be refrigerated and could be stored for several days like this in a backpack. In the fridge you can easily keep enough for 2 weeks.

Then I cook one meal at a time by frying in a couple of tablespoons of coconut fat, with some frozen berries at home (or dried on the trail), or sometimes with an apple sliced thinly with nutmeg and cinnamon, with a touch of maple syrup. When it is almost cooked I finish it with a couple tablespoons of grass fed butter. Once that melts I serve it with high fat yogurt (or creme fraiche) and nuts on top.

Oatmeal is actually a very poor choice for trail food for a few reasons. It is almost all carbohydrates, and while very light, contains few calories (energy). It is also very high in fibre, which is indigestable carbohyrate and not useable as energy. Nutritionally, if you do not use steel cut oats most of the B vitamins and E vitamins will have oxidised as the rolled and instant forms have exposed too much of these air soluble vitamins. As far as the minerals, they are bound to phytic acid, which oats have one of the highest concentrations of, and not digestable unless they are unlocked by soaking in an acidic medium such as whey, sprouting, or cooking for extremely long periods of time at a low temperature (ie crock pot).

By adding healthy fats you are significantly upping the caloric content, and nutrition. If you don't want to carry the moisture in the oats and are really concerned about the nutrition aspect (the fat vs carb for energy would be more of an immediate concern to your trip) you can soak them, then dry them in an oven at the lowest setting or a dehydrator, then cook them at camp. Although then fuel becomes an issue. Once soaked I find they only take 20-30 minutes tops to cook by boiling. I find the wet oats not too bad if I leave the top of the pot off over night before I close the container, and the fats rehydrate them enough they are not dry.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan Conroy

It is almost all carbohydrates, and while very light, contains few calories (energy).
C'mon Ryan, this is hooey, or at least misleading. The complex carbohydrates in oatmeal are all long-chain starches meaning it has a very low glycemic index and gives a nice long energy release, over hours instead of minutes. Also, your suggestion to slow cook it to release the minerals will also degrade the vitamins to uselessness.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

To 1lb oatmeal, add:

8lbs malt
1lb barley
2oz hops
1-2 packages of yeast

Cooking directions vary and is typically lengthy, but makes for a hearty breakfast.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tu

To 1lb oatmeal, add:

8lbs malt
1lb barley
2oz hops
1-2 packages of yeast

Cooking directions vary and is typically lengthy, but makes for a hearty breakfast.
Sounds similar to paleolithic Beer , best eaten with a wooden spoon.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

i usually buy the flavoured oatmeal,maple and brown sugar,etc.

i find i am usually thinking about the upcoming day too much,so i just scarf down whatever breakfast i may have with me and head off on my way.

Have you ever had m&m's and pepsi for breakfast??

post #26 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I developed an oatmeal mix on a long trip this year and have not stopped eating it every day since.

I measure these by eyes. So that I get a little some thing in every bite.

quick oats
roasted oatmeal
sweetened coconut
pecan nuts
cranberries

Some times I add peanuts.

then depending on your portion size a hearty amount of chocolate protean powder.

And I eat it cold. SO GOOD!
post #27 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kanike

I add a small container of Presidents Choice unsweetened apple sauce and a pinch of cinnamon or I add a tablespoon of blueberry jam.
Usually Sunday pork roast dinners called for some applesauce on the side so any leftovers of the applesauce on Monday mornings were definitely added to the oatmeal
post #28 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:

I soak large quantities of steel cut oats in whey and water overnight, before cooking with a bit of celtic sea salt. Then I store it in tupperware. It does not really have to be refrigerated and could be stored for several days like this in a backpack. In the fridge you can easily keep enough for 2 weeks.

Then I cook one meal at a time by frying in a couple of tablespoons of coconut fat, with some frozen berries at home (or dried on the trail), or sometimes with an apple sliced thinly with nutmeg and cinnamon, with a touch of maple syrup. When it is almost cooked I finish it with a couple tablespoons of grass fed butter. Once that melts I serve it with high fat yogurt (or creme fraiche) and nuts on top.

Oatmeal is actually a very poor choice for trail food for a few reasons. It is almost all carbohydrates, and while very light, contains few calories (energy). It is also very high in fibre, which is indigestable carbohyrate and not useable as energy. Nutritionally, if you do not use steel cut oats most of the B vitamins and E vitamins will have oxidised as the rolled and instant forms have exposed too much of these air soluble vitamins. As far as the minerals, they are bound to phytic acid, which oats have one of the highest concentrations of, and not digestable unless they are unlocked by soaking in an acidic medium such as whey, sprouting, or cooking for extremely long periods of time at a low temperature (ie crock pot).

By adding healthy fats you are significantly upping the caloric content, and nutrition. If you don't want to carry the moisture in the oats and are really concerned about the nutrition aspect (the fat vs carb for energy would be more of an immediate concern to your trip) you can soak them, then dry them in an oven at the lowest setting or a dehydrator, then cook them at camp. Although then fuel becomes an issue. Once soaked I find they only take 20-30 minutes tops to cook by boiling. I find the wet oats not too bad if I leave the top of the pot off over night before I close the container, and the fats rehydrate them enough they are not dry.
This one sounds good for days when I want to cheat and add on some tasty fat choices. So let me get this right, you spoon a couple of Tbsp of the mixture into a fry pan and fry it like a pancake? let me know
post #29 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tu

To 1lb oatmeal, add:

8lbs malt
1lb barley
2oz hops
1-2 packages of yeast

This one has to be the best yet
post #30 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:

It is almost all carbohydrates, and while very light, contains few calories (energy).
C'mon Ryan, this is hooey, or at least misleading. The complex carbohydrates in oatmeal are all long-chain starches meaning it has a very low glycemic index and gives a nice long energy release, over hours instead of minutes. Also, your suggestion to slow cook it to release the minerals will also degrade the vitamins to uselessness.
Yeah that's why their good for blood sugars. I don't "think there is as much nutrient loss from the steel cut (which you both use) as their is from the other versions when cooking. For slow cooking we tried using a rice cooker and it turned out kind of congee style wich was actually okay. I had to look up steel cut oats to understand the benefits as I've never used them before. I could be a convert.

Cheers for all your ideas folks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page