User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hobbying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DPM

JJ Bean? Artigiano?
I never mentioned JJ Bean because I'm never near one, so I seldom buy their beans, but you are right - they are great.

I'm not actually enamored of the Artigiano beans I've had, but like I said above, it could just be a bean specific thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eeyun

Ok, I can't stand by in a coffee-dedicated thread any longer without mentioning the following great coffees. I like Kicking Horse coffee, but can rarely find a "roasted on" date on the packaging, which often prevents me from buying it.

1) Intelligentsia - buy at the Wicked Cafe on 7th/Heather. Roasted on Tuesdays, so pick it up on Thursdays for the best flavor. The Black Cat espresso is top notch.

2) Elyssian - Located on Broadway at Ash, and Burrard at 5th. While I don't like their new espresso bean, their Clover menu is usually very good, as are their beans for take home.

3) 49th Parallel - on 4th (maybe elsewhere?) Nice coffees here, although their espresso is a bit variable I find.

4) Whole foods - I am really liking their espresso, and can imagine their other roasts are good as well. They are good value as well.

While I'm not a Starbucks fanboy, I find that people say "Oh, I don't like their coffee" pretty often. Which roast don't you like? Believe it or not, they all taste a little different. It's kind of like saying that you don't like any kinds of wine a winery makes based on one bottle you tried. The same thing goes for any coffee shop/beanery.

so a no on trying the Starbucks instant then?
post #33 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 AM
DPM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DPM

JJ Bean? Artigiano?
I never mentioned JJ Bean because I'm never near one, so I seldom buy their beans, but you are right - they are great.

I'm not actually enamored of the Artigiano beans I've had, but like I said above, it could just be a bean specific thing.
Gonna have to give Elysian a try based on your recommendation...maybe today since its pissing anyways.

You're right though - it really is just a question of personal preferences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

i'd rather drink Stabucks instant than one of those crappy Nescafe French vanilla latte instant mixes that is full of non-dairy trans fat and artificial flavour...
post #35 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Instant , ?, blah, it is like one-minute perverted rice, not for me.
Instant reminds me of a nice lady I knew that always feed me cookies and instant coffee and
share stories, all the while she chain-smoked.
To this day I like stories and nice ladies and cookies and real coffee.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

My sis,the coffee expert (kicking horse,french press)thinks it's just as crappy as the in store stuff,and me,I just wonder how anyone can drink ANY kind of coffee!!!!!!!! YUK!! Even the smell kinda gags me.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 06:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Blatant advertising for the company my girlfriend works for. They are expanding and now have 4 locations and brew a good coffee.

post #38 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:04 PM
cjb
Headed for the Mountains

The best coffee (and coffee beans) in Vancouver is located at Gene Coffee Bar, just down the road from my bookstore at the corner of Main and Kingsway. Full of laptop-totin' hipsters, and legendarily slow, but the coffee and espresso drinks are worth the wait. 10 minutes' walk from the Co-Op, psst, psst.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Spectrum

Blatant advertising for the company my girlfriend works for. They are expanding and now have 4 locations and brew a good coffee.

They have a nice setup at UBC that they're losing though The community center that they're located in is adminstered by the retards that live in the mini city out there, and they want to raise the rent. Boo.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BrianG

Quote:

Ok, I can't stand by in a coffee-dedicated thread any longer without mentioning the following great coffees. I like Kicking Horse coffee, but can rarely find a "roasted on" date on the packaging, which often prevents me from buying it.

1) Intelligentsia - buy at the Wicked Cafe on 7th/Heather. Roasted on Tuesdays, so pick it up on Thursdays for the best flavor. The Black Cat espresso is top notch.

2) Elyssian - Located on Broadway at Ash, and Burrard at 5th. While I don't like their new espresso bean, their Clover menu is usually very good, as are their beans for take home.

3) 49th Parallel - on 4th (maybe elsewhere?) Nice coffees here, although their espresso is a bit variable I find.

4) Whole foods - I am really liking their espresso, and can imagine their other roasts are good as well. They are good value as well.

While I'm not a Starbucks fanboy, I find that people say "Oh, I don't like their coffee" pretty often. Which roast don't you like? Believe it or not, they all taste a little different. It's kind of like saying that you don't like any kinds of wine a winery makes based on one bottle you tried. The same thing goes for any coffee shop/beanery.

so a no on trying the Starbucks instant then?
I'll try it for sure, just haven't had a reason yet. I'm not going to go out of my way to drink instant coffee when I have access to the good stuff!
post #41 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm late to join the conversation but I've been using the Starbucks instant coffee on all of my trips this year.

My impression:
-It tastes better than regular instant coffee but it isn't quite as good as fresh-brewed
-It's easier to meal plan with since it comes in little individual servings, lighter too since there's no containers involved
-the dark roast is better than the reg
-costs about a buck a cup
post #42 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I've tried Starbucks instant but can't bring myself to drink it when camping. All the instant coffees I've tasted are way too bitter. Coffee, being pretty much the first thing I'm going to taste in the morning when camping, has to be good.

I bought a GSI Personal Java Press. No messy filters, and it weighs hardly anything without the cup (which I usually don't bring) Makes enough coffee for 2 people. I use the actual container to store items I don't want getting squashed in my pack when traveling.

It means I can just bring my usual ground beans with me in a ziploc.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Summit Master

I've been using the Starbucks instant coffee on trips since it came out. My take:

Upsides:

1) It tastes just as good as "real" coffee. At least, outdoors it does.
2) It's convenient to make; no special equipment needed and no grounds to throw away afterwards.
3) Being sealed in individual sized portions, the smell of coffee doesn't permeate everything else in my pack and the entire car driving up there, like it does when I grind up real coffee to bring (in other words, possibly less of a bear attractant?)

Downsides:

1) They come in tiny portion sizes. For one decent strength mug of coffee, you (or I do, at least) need 3-4 packages of it. Therefore

a) You're looking at $3 - $4 per cup. Outrageous.
b) First thing in the morning when you are clumsy, grumpy, and in desperate need of caffeine, it's a pain in the butt to fiddle with 3-4 packages, especially since they don't open all the way and you need to go get a knife or something to open them fully so that you can actually release the contents. I can't think why they would design the packages not to open fully.

My overall impression: tastes pretty good (and keep in mind I'm picky) but I don't know if it's so much more convenient than throwing regular coffee into a mug with a built-in French press, so it depends how much you mind paying $3-$4 per cup.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

1) They come in tiny portion sizes. For one decent strength mug of coffee, you (or I do, at least) need 3-4 packages of it. Therefore

a) You're looking at $3 - $4 per cup. Outrageous.
b) First thing in the morning when you are clumsy, grumpy, and in desperate need of caffeine, it's a pain in the butt to fiddle with 3-4 packages, especially since they don't open all the way and you need to go get a knife or something to open them fully so that you can actually release the contents. I can't think why they would design the packages not to open fully.

My overall impression: tastes pretty good (and keep in mind I'm picky) but I don't know if it's so much more convenient than throwing regular coffee into a mug with a built-in French press, so it depends how much you mind paying $3-$4 per cup.
Wow, you must prefer espresso. I find 2 packs in 500 ml of water makes a pretty good cup of coffee
post #45 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Summit Master

They are awesome, good flavour and can't beat the convenience. Best thing to happen to the backcountry since the thermorest.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page