post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Scaling New Heights

these are pretty good.

http://www.rei.com/product/754103
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Scaling New Heights

Seems to me that there are two kinds of coffee drinkers... A) those who love Time Hortons and can't choke back a cup of Starbucks, and B) those who adore Starbucks and hate Tim Hortons. I'm of the latter. I can't live without dark, strong coffee. I find Tim Hortons to be milder and kind of tangy.

I have never had instant coffee, but I'd have to guess that if you are a Tim Horton's fan, Starbucks instant will taste gross, and if you're a Starbucks drinker to begin with, it's probably pretty good. I'm pretty curious to try it.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Personally, I dislike both - Tim's is too weak and cheap tasting, 'buck's is too burnt and french-roasted.

I've recently taken to Kicking Horse... but as for coffee shops, well, I have a favourite one-off shop in Sechelt called the Strait that roasts its own organically. That's my favourite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by afterimage

Seems to me that there are two kinds of coffee drinkers... A) those who love Time Hortons and can't choke back a cup of Starbucks, and B) those who adore Starbucks and hate Tim Hortons.
bzzzt. Starbucks has garbage coffee, and Tim Hortons is ok, but not great by any means. The best coffee is freshly ground, and made at home. Although, the Bagel Company in Canmore has some pretty damned good coffee...I think they use Kicking Horse.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Summit Master

I love the Kicking Horse coffee. But most places that serve it manage to ruin it by making it too weak. These days I am rarely satisfied by coffee that I haven't made myself.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:The best coffee is freshly ground, and made at home.
I can definitely agree with that. Drip coffee from most coffee shops doesn't taste as delicious... maybe just not enough love goes into it? Sits on the burner too long? Inconsistency due to mass batches? Although I enjoy Starbucks beans, drip coffee at an actual Starbucks location doesn't taste so good to me. [xx(]

I don't believe that Starbucks coffee is garbage coffee, but then I suppose that's a matter of personal preference. I often grind it and brew it at home.

I've had kicking horse and it's pretty good. I'd like to check out 'the Straight' in Sechelt that metcarfre talks about - I'm over there several times a year.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Quote:
quote:bzzzt. Starbucks has garbage coffee, and Tim Hortons is ok, but not great by any means. The best coffee is freshly ground, and made at home. Although, the Bagel Company in Canmore has some pretty damned good coffee...I think they use Kicking Horse.
I agree; Starbucks tastes like burnt dirt and Timmy's is better but still not what I'd call great coffee. Kicking Horse is awesome coffee and Grizzly Claw is my current favorite. I grind Grizzly Claw up very fine in my coffee grinder and put that in my camp espresso maker; that's good camp coffee!
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hobbying

Ok, I can't stand by in a coffee-dedicated thread any longer without mentioning the following great coffees. I like Kicking Horse coffee, but can rarely find a "roasted on" date on the packaging, which often prevents me from buying it.

1) Intelligentsia - buy at the Wicked Cafe on 7th/Heather. Roasted on Tuesdays, so pick it up on Thursdays for the best flavor. The Black Cat espresso is top notch.

2) Elyssian - Located on Broadway at Ash, and Burrard at 5th. While I don't like their new espresso bean, their Clover menu is usually very good, as are their beans for take home.

3) 49th Parallel - on 4th (maybe elsewhere?) Nice coffees here, although their espresso is a bit variable I find.

4) Whole foods - I am really liking their espresso, and can imagine their other roasts are good as well. They are good value as well.

While I'm not a Starbucks fanboy, I find that people say "Oh, I don't like their coffee" pretty often. Which roast don't you like? Believe it or not, they all taste a little different. It's kind of like saying that you don't like any kinds of wine a winery makes based on one bottle you tried. The same thing goes for any coffee shop/beanery.

post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eeyun

Ok, I can't stand by in a coffee-dedicated thread any longer without mentioning the following great coffees. I like Kicking Horse coffee, but can rarely find a "roasted on" date on the packaging, which often prevents me from buying it.

1) Intelligentsia - buy at the Wicked Cafe on 7th/Heather. Roasted on Tuesdays, so pick it up on Thursdays for the best flavor. The Black Cat espresso is top notch.

2) Elyssian - Located on Broadway at Ash, and Burrard at 5th. While I don't like their new espresso bean, their Clover menu is usually very good, as are their beans for take home.

3) 49th Parallel - on 4th (maybe elsewhere?) Nice coffees here, although their espresso is a bit variable I find.

4) Whole foods - I am really liking their espresso, and can imagine their other roasts are good as well. They are good value as well.
What price range do these fall into? I have heard that whole foods is pretty expensive, but have never actually been there to know firsthand. I'd love to try some new beans. What do you brew with at home? Sometimes I use a mokapot, but lately have just been using a regular coffee maker.

I actually have a question for anyone who does use a mokapot (I've only had mine a few months) - notice any difference between stainless steel and aluminum?
post #25 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

I tried it for the first time the other day and thought it was good. The only other instant coffee I've tried is the no name coffee from Superstore and that tastes ok. I'm sure if you went into Starbucks and asked for a sample of their instant coffee, they'd give you a small cup as they did for me. (Lynden Starbucks).
This is a great thread, talking about coffee, definately one of the finer things in life.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Nothing beats a JJ Bean Americano.

Eeyun makes a good point about West 49th, however; they brew some good shit.

I'm a big fan of Kicking Horse, especially the Kick Ass blend.

As for Starbucks, their Yukon blend was the only one I would actually buy.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: scrambles, climbing, water, fastpacking,

Kicking Horse, the Kick Ass blend is what we buy at home.I drink starbucks and realy like their instant ,easy to make at work and cheaper than going to starbucks for a lineup longer than my coffee break is .if you add the corect amount of water I find it hard to tell the difference from the brewed stuff .add to much water and it kinda tastes like monkey piss.(so I was told)
post #28 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hobbying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eeyun

Most would be classed as fairly expensive I would guess. The whole foods is about 11.99 for 3/4 of a pound. The 49th parallel is 16/lb or something thereabouts. The others are similar.

I have an espresso machine, an aluminum moka pot, a mooka (by Bialetti), a press pot, a pour over brewer, and my personal favorite - my siphon brewer! (like this http://coffeegeek.com/guides/siphoncoffee)

As for stainless vs. aluminum, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The main this is that you don't ever want to put your aluminum one in the dishwasher. I actually try not to wash mine at all if I'm going to be using them frequently - just rinse and wipe clean. If they will sit for a while, then I'll wash with dish soap though, to get rid of the oils so they don't go rancid.

What price range do these fall into? I have heard that whole foods is pretty expensive, but have never actually been there to know firsthand. I'd love to try some new beans. What do you brew with at home? Sometimes I use a mokapot, but lately have just been using a regular coffee maker.

I actually have a question for anyone who does use a mokapot (I've only had mine a few months) - notice any difference between stainless steel and aluminum?
post #29 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:00 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I need to get my hands on one of those Siphon coffee makers.

I also use a Vietnamese press once in a while, particularly in the summer, and make a sweet old iced coffee with some sweetened condensed milk. Seriously, what's better than a Vietnamese sub and an iced coffee mid-August?
post #30 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:11 AM
DPM
Off the Beaten Path

[quote]Originally posted by afterimage

[quote]Originally posted by eeyun

JJ Bean? Artigiano?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page