Calling all Favorite Spices - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Default Calling all Favorite Spices

I'm planning a fairly long trip coming up, approximately 7-10 days and wanting to know what everyones favorite spices are to bring along...looking for a lot of variety to spice the food up...i was thinking too that sundried tomatoes (the ones packed in oil) would be a good additive to food on the trail and wanting to know if anyone's used them hiking and if they'll last un-refrigerated for the length of my trip...Suggestions please!

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function. – Joseph Wood Krutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 02:20 PM

I would say for an all around menu, I would bring granulated garlic, onion flakes, an italian blend and perhaps something like Mrs. Dash without salt. If you happen to be lucky enough to fish and catch something to cook you could always bring a lemon pepper blend too.I think that would cover most everything.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 03:38 PM

You can buy sun-dried tomatoes in bulk at most stores and they last a very long time. I have used them on three week trips with no problems. chili flakes, pepper, garlic, and cinnamon (for bloatmeal) make up the core of my minimalist spice kit. If other spices are needed for individual meals I usually put them right in with the ingredients (if possible).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 05:02 PM

I'm a fan of Mrs. Dash. It is a pretty good all round seasoning that can be used in rice, tuna, etc. Garlic is also a fan favourite, but if you bring it, just make sure you feed it to everyone in your party/group
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

If you like sundried tomatoes go for the "Clubhouse" Greek Seasoning. It's got dehydrated sweet peppers and garlic too! One of my personal favourites!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page