ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Backcountry Recipes (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/)
-   -   GORP? (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/26405-gorp.html)

goodtimes 07-29-2008 01:31 PM

GORP?

whats your favorite combination of gorp or "good ol' reliable peanuts"
do you like granola in yours? I know people that put jerky in theres, i put in a handful of jelly beans or jube jubes for added sugar.

whats your combo?

darren 07-29-2008 01:34 PM

Isn't it raisins and peanuts, not reliable peanuts?

All that matters is how many Smarties you have!

goodtimes 07-29-2008 01:38 PM

i think it might be? but i think m&ms are better they don't melt as easily

Dax 07-29-2008 03:14 PM

Yeah, Good Old Raisins and Peanuts...

If I was lost in the bush with a 10 pound bag of GORP I would die of starvation long before I even thought of eating any. When I was a wee lad my father thought that GORP for "lunch" everyday for a week long hunting trip was sufficient sustenance. Needless to say my picky juvenile tastes didn't agree with him.

That being said, my friend made up some "GORP" for a road trip that consisted of craisins (dried cranberry) white chocolate chips, cashews, macadamia nuts, almonds and walnuts. I promptly ate most of the bag. Not a cheap snack, but it was DARN GOOD!

brilang 07-29-2008 03:35 PM

Trader Joe's in Bellingham had a GORP mix with milk chocolate chips, dried raspberries, cashews and peanuts. Very tasty. And I don't usually eat GORP....

hikinbc 07-29-2008 03:54 PM

A tip for making trail-mix at the store, scoop it all in one bag shake it and then put the cheapest tag on it, only had one double-take at the checkout

happiestoutdoors 07-29-2008 04:14 PM

My usual mix:

Salted mixed nuts from the bulk section
Pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
Small pieces of dried mango
Lots and lots of M&Ms

Make sure you absolutely love everything that goes into your mix. If you only sort of like almonds, for example, you'll notice by the end of the trip you are picking through your bag digging out everything but the almonds. Annoying.

metcarfre 07-29-2008 04:37 PM

I usually have three small bags of GORP-esque products. First, the sweet bag;
peanuts (innexpensive)
craisins
Reese's pieces
and... the key.
dark chocolate covered espresso beans.

The fruit mix is a mix of any dried fruit, but I like;
mango
pineapple
apples
pears

And finally, jerky. You see, I consider GORP to be 'snacky little food things I stuff in my pockets to eat on the go'. That way I find I have fewer rest breaks on the trail.

Dax 07-29-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by hikinbc

A tip for making trail-mix at the store, scoop it all in one bag shake it and then put the cheapest tag on it, only had one double-take at the checkout
Thats so [}:)]

Love it, gotta try this one.

Farmer 07-29-2008 09:03 PM

I like the olympic mix at save-on / coopers / price smart. its the cheapest, and has a good mix. I also add some corn nuts some times. dried fruit is also a good extra

Dru 07-29-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Dax

Quote:

Technically, that's shoplifting. Remember if you try it that you can be charged if caught.

Farmer 07-29-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:

Quote:

Technically, that's shoplifting. Remember if you try it that you can be charged if caught.
"oops, must have read the wrong #" is plenty to get past most underpaid employees

SnowSeeker 07-29-2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Gulagger
Make sure you absolutely love everything that goes into your mix. If you only sort of like almonds, for example, you'll notice by the end of the trip you are picking through your bag digging out everything but the almonds. Annoying.
I know exactly what you mean. Since I can't eat anymore of that stuff I like to keep my products separate and eat them at different times.

What I like to have with me on a trail:
-unsalted almonds
-Skittles
-gummy bears made from real fruit juice
-Gu or Carb-Boom
-some chocolate in the winter or if it's not too hot outside

And I agree, mangoes are good too! :)

Dru 07-29-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Farmer

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Dru

Quote:

Quote:

"oops, must have read the wrong #" is plenty to get past most underpaid employees
Oh, I know. But if the in-store "loss prevention officer" sees you mixing stuff from different bins in one bag, that defense becomes a lot harder to use.

ChuckLW 07-29-2008 11:37 PM

Nature's Path Optimum Zen cereal as a base (already a nice mix with a subtle ginger zing)
Mixed nuts
Peanuts
Lots of M&Ms
Pine nuts
Craisens

I mix it all up in a great big tupperware cereal container that stays at home: 1 or 2 loads are good for a full season of hiking.

For each trip I fill up a Nalgene wide mouth bottle (500ml or 1000ml depending on # of days and people). I know the Nalgene is heavier than a zip lock bag but it is entirely water and rodent proof with no fear of failure. If you have a pack with dedicated bottle holster, you always have a snack ready to hand.

getmet666 07-30-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats so

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a difference between that and switching price tags? Both a crappy way to get a criminal record and unable to go abroad on family vacations.

Dusty Boots 07-30-2008 08:09 AM

lots of salted roasted Cashews
lots of M&Ms
Thompson raisins
salted roasted peanuts
sometimes I'll add corn nuts and/or dried banana chips/apricots

The salted nuts help to keep up salts lost through sweat/dehydration. I don't like the taste(or weight) of Gatorade

This used to be a staple in my earlier days, but it now serves as a 'snack' for quick lunch stops, along with an 'energy' bar and copious amounts of water.

Watch out for 'hygraders' that pick through your gorp mix, taking only the good stuff, such as the cashews and M&Ms!! :(

Dusty

time2clmb 07-30-2008 01:28 PM

Oh my god!! Mixing items out of a bulk bin is a crime. You should be punished. LMFAO There are much worse things to worry about don't you think?

Dru 07-30-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Oh my god!! Mixing items out of a bulk bin is a crime. You should be punished. LMFAO There are much worse things to worry about don't you think?
Cerainly there are. Bt this is a public message board too. People often forget that.

Dax 07-30-2008 02:36 PM

Breaking News

Vancouver BC - After a 6 month long investigation by the RCMP an online mixed nut theft ring has been busted after police found incriminating evidence posted to a local hiking message board. When asked for comment, a poster on the message board who would only identify himself as Dru said: "This is a public message board... People often forget that."

RCMP spokeswoman Sgt. Sylvie Tremblay warned other would be nut mixers, "We are watching you". This case marks the first time ever that anyone has cared about shoplifting, in fact we are shocked that this story made it past our editor. When asked about the charges, and the costly 6 month investigation the RCMP defended the actions of their members. "It's sort of like the broken windows analogy, sure 3 people were gunned down last night in a Surrey suburb while heroin and crack cocaine were openly being sold just blocks away, but the RCMP feels that these minor crimes lead to an atmosphere of disregard for the rule of law that promotes the types of gang-land style shootings that make the front page of the newspapers" said Sgt. Tremblay. "We felt that the $600,000 investigation, which involved 8 full time members and 2 computer forensic analysts which were flown in from Toronto was a small price to pay to crack down on someone paying $4.86 for a 500 gram bag of nuts that should have netted the multi-billion dollar grocery chain $5.23 if sold individually."

The leader of the ring, known only by his online identity of Hikeinbc was released on $250 bail and ordered to return next week for trial. If convicted he faces a possible 4 hours of community service, but will most likely only serve 1.2 hours with good behavior.

EDITORS NOTE: As of press time the judge has reduced Hikeinbc's sentence to writing an apology letter to the store owner. The RCMP defend their investigation as "the right thing to do".

hikinbc 07-30-2008 03:07 PM

Haha dax, sorry , bad suggestion for a public board .

My old roommate used to put all the expensive mushrooms under the cheapies and he had some other good bachelor tricks too . In 5 years I've only bought 4 rolls of toilet paper, and it was from the dollar store . sugar , salt, pepper, napkins etc from Mcdonalds and there are some breakfast places(A&W is one) that keep jam , honey for the taking. ... Offtopic I know, sorry

fav GORP mix :

macadamias , walnuts, hazelnuts, skittles, ****** babies, fuzzy peaches, dried apples, allsorts, sunflower seeds, and raisins and peanuts. unsalted .

Dax 07-30-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

fav GORP mix :

macadamias , walnuts, hazelnuts, skittles, ****** babies, fuzzy peaches, dried apples, allsorts, sunflower seeds, and raisins and peanuts. unsalted .
[:I]

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one. Wow, that product name must have been way before my time! I actually had to google it!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=******+babies

TheShadow 07-30-2008 03:47 PM

They're called Licorice Kids nowadays, so as not offend anyone!

gamos 07-30-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Breaking News

Vancouver BC - After a 6 month long investigation by the RCMP an online mixed nut theft ring has been busted after police found incriminating evidence posted to a local hiking message board. When asked for comment, a poster on the message board who would only identify himself as Dru said: "This is a public message board... People often forget that."

RCMP spokeswoman Sgt. Sylvie Tremblay warned other would be nut mixers, "We are watching you". This case marks the first time ever that anyone has cared about shoplifting, in fact we are shocked that this story made it past our editor. When asked about the charges, and the costly 6 month investigation the RCMP defended the actions of their members. "It's sort of like the broken windows analogy, sure 3 people were gunned down last night in a Surrey suburb while heroin and crack cocaine were openly being sold just blocks away, but the RCMP feels that these minor crimes lead to an atmosphere of disregard for the rule of law that promotes the types of gang-land style shootings that make the front page of the newspapers" said Sgt. Tremblay. "We felt that the $600,000 investigation, which involved 8 full time members and 2 computer forensic analysts which were flown in from Toronto was a small price to pay to crack down on someone paying $4.86 for a 500 gram bag of nuts that should have netted the multi-billion dollar grocery chain $5.23 if sold individually."

The leader of the ring, known only by his online identity of Hikeinbc was released on $250 bail and ordered to return next week for trial. If convicted he faces a possible 4 hours of community service, but will most likely only serve 1.2 hours with good behavior.

EDITORS NOTE: As of press time the judge has reduced Hikeinbc's sentence to writing an apology letter to the store owner. The RCMP defend their investigation as "the right thing to do".
Hilarious!

ROFLMAO, or whatever the kids say these days. Nice one, Dax!

Baddoc48 07-30-2008 09:24 PM

Doesn't anyone add a few Advil to their GORP ?

thta way you don't have to stop for meds or check the time . . . kinda like an IV drip :D

dougz 03-07-2013 03:43 PM

Suprised nobody mentioned peanut M&M's.. Chocolate AND peanuts in a hard candy shell.. :)

I always end up with bags full of M&M'less gorp, though.. LOL

Should just get the M&M's and save the constant dissapointment and extra weight..

I like dried cranberries in place of raisins.. Been meaning to try chocolate-covered pretzels and coffee beans..

Hemlock 03-07-2013 06:58 PM

Not quite gorp in a bag: someone on another thread mentioned whitewater energy balls and I have to say they're damn tasty. And quick to make, without baking. I add pumpkin seeds to the mix and also mix in the coconut without rolling on the outside. The cool thing is it's pretty much a template that you can probably add whatever you want and just adjust the stuff that holds it together (ie. honey and peanut butter).

http://aliveandwellforlife.ca/index....acks&Itemid=19

another jeff 03-07-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by dougz

Been meaning to try chocolate-covered coffee beans..
Don't bother, you'll waste most of your water supply trying to wash the coffee grounds out of your mouth.

I'll buy standard issue bulk-bin gorp and add some yogurt-covered raisins for a bit of sweetness.

dougz 03-07-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

quote:Not quite gorp in a bag: someone on another thread mentioned whitewater energy balls
I have a recipe for something like this involving protein powder and oats that I want to try..

Quote:

quote:Don't bother, you'll waste most of your water supply trying to wash the coffee grounds out of your mouth
Yes, if you put enough of them in there, I guess.. But I've had them on their own in small doses and not had that experience..

Otto 05-31-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by TheShadow

They're called Licorice Kids nowadays, so as not offend anyone!

Really? What do they now call Sauerkraut?

dougz 05-31-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

quote:What do they now call Sauerkraut
Grizzled German.. :)