Military Food Rations For Hiking - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Women
Default Military Food Rations For Hiking

Someone I know had mentioned I should go to the army surplus and pickup some Military Food Rations in a box. Apparently lots of goodies inside, and they can last forever, and still be tastey. He mentioned they have no expiry date and the ones he ate were years old already and still tasted fresh. Dinners include, spaghetti, lasagna, meatballs, they have treats inside as well... They are healthy and can give you lots of energy.

Anyone else try these for camping/hiking?

I remember some from many years ago, and everything in the dinner was canned, even the crackers for preservation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Someone I know had mentioned I should go to the army surplus and pickup some Military Food Rations in a box. Apparently lots of goodies inside, and they can last forever, and still be tastey. He mentioned they have no expiry date and the ones he ate were years old already and still tasted fresh. Dinners include, spaghetti, lasagna, meatballs, they have treats inside as well... They are healthy and can give you lots of energy.

Anyone else try these for camping/hiking?

I remember some from many years ago, and everything in the dinner was canned, even the crackers for preservation.
I've never tried them, but I know people that have. I don't think they're necessarily packaged to be as light as someone would desire for normal backpacking.

They do have expiry dates - I believe they're in the 3-5 year range(?). You can purchase them directly from the manufacturer, they come in box sets. They're not entirely healthy - they are missing some nutrients but you can run on them for at least a month. Apparently the French rations are the best - sites on the web indicate they are sometimes traded at 10:1 for Canadian IMP's "Duck mousse", "Parisian chicken", "Creole pork with rice and pineapple", etc.

Depending on the outing, they might be more calories than you need (ie/ overnight to Lindeman compared to a long enduring trek uphill). Also bear in mind that they are waterless but do not require water to prepare. You do the math on what this will do to your body (hint: bring lots and lots of fibre!).

The weight is probably the deal breaker. You can probably find better dehydrated, packaged meals online.

http://survivalacres.com/information/mres.html

You might be able to find them on EBay or at a military surplus store.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Ace's; My neighbor is a volunteer with the Canadian Rangers and he gave me about a dozen of those meal packs. I've had the lasagna and some of the deserts(fruit/berry mixes)and they were good. I don't think you'd want them for backpacking unless you hiked into a base camp the first day.Way to bulky and heavy to haul around in your pack for more than a day. Lot's of trash to deal with as well should you actually take the whole package.

SC is right, you would do better in using a dehydrator and make up some of you own favorite dishes. Lighter and you know what you like at the end of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 PM

I've tried the MREs a couple times, they're fun to see what you get in each package, but they're heavy, and as darrenbell said, there's a surprising amount of trash to deal with afterwards.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I was on a canoe trip in Nova Scotia's Kejimkujik National Park last summer. We ran into a group of 8 military people who were using their time off to do a canoe trip. They had all standard issue military stuff, including the rations. We stopped for lunch at the same portage as them one day. We were eating some regular backpacker's lunch - can't even remember what... they looked on jealously as they tucked in to their military rations. Apparently they were sick of them and it was only day two of their trip. I think if the military guys don't like them that much, they can't be that great.

Also, as stated, they are heavy and bulky... even for canoeing apparently. These guys (and gals) were out on a 3 or 4 day trip and eating rations for every meal. Three were 8 of them and they actually had one duffel bag in the canoe that had only ration packages in it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Civilian food would be lighter, cheaper and better tasting. Any kind of food that has an expiry date set in years from now must have all the quality and appeal of Velveeta.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Women

I would have thought that Military Rations this day and age would of been state of the art, high energy, light to carry. Obviously not the case. Likely the CDN troops are eating old Surplus Military Rations as well.

I found information about these "IMP" (Individual Meal Packs) here:
http://www.mreinfo.com/international...adian-imp.html

I think my buddy said he grabbed some of these for fishing, for $5 or so each from the Army Surplus store neer MEC on Broadway, so this made me interested to begin with. I figured heck you could buy a bunch and just take them on trips.

I think I will stick to civilian meals.
Thanks!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

It sounds to me like the meals you were talking about were more geared towards overnighters ex. full meals that would need to be boiled or prepared in some fashion rather than just trail snacks. Military gear traditionally isn't very light.
There's some pretty good freeze-dried meals out there that just require adding boiled water that are pretty tasty.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Kayaking, Mtn Biking, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Climbing, RC Flying, Computers. Collecting expensive backpacking gear.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

all the quality and appeal of Velveeta.
What's wrong with Velveeta?

Try melting some into your Kraft Dinner, mmm good. I have actually packed KD on overnight trips. Dollop of butter in a ziplock is all you need, don't need to add milk if you add cheese!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking

IMP's taste great and 5$ sounds like a good deal considering how much you get in them and in comparison to the expensive MEC backpacking foods. I would consider buying them for hiking if they were sold nearby.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Scaling New Heights

Canadian IMPs are far superior to American MREs. Some thoughts on them.

ShadowChaser mentioned they are waterless/do not require water. Yes and no on both. Every main meal and dessert I have come across have been packed in sauce or syrup. So there is fluid in them (and this is part of the weight). There are components -instant potatoes and pudding and drink mixes- that do require water. The brade is very dry and might benefit from dunking in soup.

Re: expiry dates: The Canadian IMPs come in brown bags (almost like a lunch bag) with the year printed on them (06, 07, 08, etc.). Official line is 3 years from the year stamped. I have eaten all components from 5 to 6 year old IMPs with no ill effects. There are off-the-shelf candy bars and M&Ms packed in them and they are often well past their expiry dates. No problem. I'll put it this way - I had an 07 meal with Star Wars Epsiode II M&Ms in them

Gulagger mentioned them not being that great. Having served in the reserves, many of our exercises were catered. Given the choice between the catered meals and the field rations, we'd take the field rations any time.

As for calories count, each meal (if you eat EVERYTHING) contains rougly 1200 calories. I know people who have survied for 50+ days on these (though not always 3 times a day). They do have a tendency to clog the body's drains though. In terms of nutrition, they are apparently far superior to most countries rations.

The best part though is that no part requires cooking. most of the IMPS I've eaten I have eaten cold. There are some, however, that I would not even touch if they weren't heated.

If anyone wants any I do have a small stash of bread available! :P

As a side note, if you go to London Drugs and purchase a "Kitchens of India" instant curry, they are packaged and prepared the same way as the main course of an IMP.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page