ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Backcountry Recipes (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/)
-   -   Source for foil pack Tuna (https://forums.clubtread.com/16-backcountry-recipes/21892-source-foil-pack-tuna.html)

Sodbuster 07-26-2007 08:52 PM

Source for foil pack Tuna

Source for foil pack tuna?? (or other fish or poultry)?? In the Calgary area please! I keep hearing about it but have never seen it on the shelves. But I also don't spend any more time than necessary in grocery stores.

ChuckLW 07-27-2007 12:49 AM

Same information for Vancouver if anybody can find some. Tuna used to be available at my local IGA but now it's back to nothing but cans.

Nergyn 07-27-2007 05:34 AM

I buy mine at the local Walmart. Great on the trail!

DoonOfDusk 07-27-2007 07:56 AM

Sodbuster, I'm sending Charlene hunting for it too. Let me know if you find any. I'll do likewise. (I prefer Salmon if given a choice, but Tuna's good too.)

- Hank

deeks 07-27-2007 07:57 AM

Safeway had them on sale this week.

pmicheals 07-27-2007 07:58 AM

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=22706

Quote:

quote:I went on a nice overnight to Cheakamus lake this weekend and tested something but didn't take it with me (call it a Bear Safety check). Cloverleaf makes very nice packaged Tuna Steaks in Terriyaki, Curry and Dill Sauce. I tried the first two and they were quite nice and presented with little odor in the event of curious critters. They would be a great source of protein and good value for the price.
I got them at Safeway and heading there today to buy some for my hike tomorrow. I don't know hong they will be available for but they are a new product.

BillyGoat 07-27-2007 08:23 AM

I find them quite often for around a buck at MTF.

happiestoutdoors 07-27-2007 08:57 AM

I've bought the tuna at safeway as well. As far as salmon goes, unless things have changed in the last few years (which they haven't to the best of my knowledge), salmon in a pouch is not available in Canada - have to go south of the border for that:
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...chTerms=salmon

deeks 07-27-2007 09:02 AM

Well you can go down the gastown (aka the big tourist trap) and get smoked salmon in foil pouches, and they even come in nice wood boxes. Probably a little pricey for hiking food [:p]

Kidding aside, as I think about it there is a market in Maple Ridge down by the Ferry, Bruce's Market, and they used to have smoked salmon & salmon jerky, haven't been there in few years, its also a great stop for a bite on the way home from Golden Ears.

Sodbuster 07-27-2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

MTF ???

deeks 07-27-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Sodbuster

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

MTF ???
Its a damaged/nearly expired/overstocked goods liquidator in the Vancouver area. Always some good deals there.

Acmegoods 07-27-2007 10:14 AM

If anyone has a Costco membership then you should definitly check this out. in the frozen section that have a package of Yellow Fin tuna steaks. About an inch thick and some as big as 4 or 5 inches across. Beautiful cuts. There are between 12-14 in a pouch, all individually freeze wrapped and it costs like $15. Great deal and great for hiking or camping with. Pack em frozen and by the time you get to the top they're thawed and ready to cook.

DoonOfDusk 07-27-2007 12:17 PM

Here in Unity Saskatchewan, I found 2 flavours of the Clover-Leaf foil-packed Tuna steaks right in my local Co-op grocery store. Looks like a great way to bring some meat backpacking.

They stay good an awful long time in those sealed packages I see – my best-before date is September 2008.

And it's Dolphin-friendly to boot.

- Hank

Scrambler 07-31-2007 02:16 PM

I've been looking for them, too but all I could find at Safeway was the "flavoured" varieties, with all kinds of additives I don't want or need. Seems like if I find some of the "just tuna" ones, I better stock up big time [}:)]

pmicheals 08-02-2007 01:00 AM

Quote:

quote:I've been looking for them, too but all I could find at Safeway was the "flavoured" varieties, with all kinds of additives I don't want or need. Seems like if I find some of the "just tuna" ones, I better stock up big time
I really didn't check the additives and preservatives and the flavours were quite mild and natural tasting. Did one up today with a little bit of havarti melted on top.
Anyone know if this foil pack process can be duplicated at home?. The way I see it you're just canning in plastic pouches n'est pas?