Another MEC Dehydrated Meals thread - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Good times wherever they may be!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

For the same price as one dehydrated meal at MEC you can make three dinners using bulk pasta from SaveOn or StuporStore and Knorr soup mixes.

----------------------------------------
Thinking you are seeing, but not seeing. Thinking you know, but not knowing. This spring is full of a lot of such things.
Angelhair pasta with dried tomato sauce and some pepperoni is what I make for suppers, all available at any grocery store. The past cooks in no time and it & the powdered suace weighs next to nothing. The pepperoni weighs a bit so I only take what I know I'll need. I usually bring a pepper & parmasean cheese mixture.

There are a few DHM from MEC that I don't mind but I do not purchase because of the price. The Cajun Chicken with Rice is good enough and so is the granola with dried cranberries and powdered milk, but again you can easily make this yourself for much less $$. The nice thing about the DHM is there are no dishes to clean.

"We don't slow down because we get old, we get old because we slow down" - anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Hiker

Yuck ! Stay away from all of it and go get some Mountain House brand foods. The "Only One " I had that was truely disgusting were the eggs.
The rest are like eating in a restaurant.

"No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats". [}]

I agree with Hiker the Mountain House brand is good stuff,

post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Backpacking

Dehydrated Spaghetti
Brandname: Richmoor
Cost: Too expensive for what it taste

Two portions suggested but only good for one person.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:20 AM

post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Summit Master

OK...I've come back from a trip in which dehydrated meals from MEC played a fairly prominent role. My conclusion: I'm not buying any of those ever again.

The first night I had pasta, with Knorr's soup mix (creamy mushroom) and a bit of powdered milk for the sauce. Delicious, easy, and dirt cheap. It all went downhill from there.

Quote:
quote:Not bad: Harvest Foodworks Beef Stroganoff
I know I said this. I take it back. This is what I had the second night. It was gross. Just way too salty. I liked it for the first few mouthfuls, but only because I was starving. About halfway through I decided it was barely edible.

Meanwhile, Q was eating Natural High Honey Lime Chicken. She kept saying how awful it was, and finally I had a taste just to see what she was talking about. It tasted like a blend of ammonia and Pine Sol. The others in the group thought I was brave to taste it, because they were disgusted by the smell. We wondered how this could possibly have gotten past a panel of tasters at the company that makes it.

The third night I had Kung Pao Shrimp (again, Natural High brand). Again, I was starving and I devoured the first few mouthfuls. The spicy aroma was pretty good. However, about halfway through I started to realize that the spices seemed to be an attempt to cover up an underlying gross taste. It was edible, but why eat something that is only edible? Also, my stomach felt like it had a lump of lead in it afterwards.

The last night, I had AlpineAire Sierra Chicken. This wasn't bad at all. I would probably buy that one again, just to have around as an extra emergency dinner, although I think this is an unnecessarily expensive way to eat. I liked it but didn't LOVE it. And although it said "serves two" and I ate the whole thing myself, I was still hungry when I'd finished. I'd just finished hiking for 6 hours with an overnight pack, and I could have easily eaten another one.

Q was eating the AlpineAire chili; I had a taste and it was all right. So far that is the brand that gets my vote, if one MUST buy one of those meals.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 AM

I'll be taking a few more dehydrated meals along with me into Garibaldi this weekend, so I'll post an update when I get back.

BC Tripper

It's always an adventure with me in tow.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 04:37 PM

I've given up on all the freeze dried meals as they either taste bad or are just too expensive. Most of them only have 6 or 7 hundred calories which is nowhere near enough for one person (never mind two) after an all day hike.

On the other hand, I use some of the side dishes in my home made concoctions. Freeze dried beef, chicken and turkey along with the various freeze dried vegetable sides work really well when added to pasta, rice or instant potato dishes.

I love the Rockies
alpalmer likes this.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, skiing, cycling

One meal I like is Mary Jane's Farm organic southwestern couscous.It's a bit pricey ($6.50 which will serve one)but worth it.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Meanwhile, Q was eating Natural High Honey Lime Chicken. She kept saying how awful it was, and finally I had a taste just to see what she was talking about. It tasted like a blend of ammonia and Pine Sol. The others in the group thought I was brave to taste it, because they were disgusted by the smell. We wondered how this could possibly have gotten past a panel of tasters at the company that makes it.
Ha ha ha! That's the stuff I had on Aconcagua. I thought the altitude must have had something to do with it, as I couldn't believe they would actually market a Pine Sol-flavoured product. I tried it a week into the biggest calorie burn of my life and still couldn't get more than a few mouthfuls down. Nasty, nasty, nasty-only feed it to your worst enemies!
post #25 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Too Many Canyons
Nasty, nasty, nasty-only feed it to your worst enemies!
So that confirms it. I thought possibly Q had picked up a package that was "off." So I guess that is what it was supposed to taste like. So far, easily the worst one I have ever tasted.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 03:20 PM

Backpackers pantry katmandu curry....Did not finish this, as it was truly disgusting. Don't wish this on your worst enemy.

I really liked the AlpineAire strognaoff with beef.
Alpineaire Leonardo dafettucini was very good
Backpackers pantry thai satay with beef, was amazingly good, but had the extra pain of mixing the sauce on the side and adding after.
Alpineaire spaghetti's were very good.
Sierra chicken was not the greatest but okay.

dayho
post #27 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Snowboarding = Getting Paid to Play. Skateboarding, Wakeboarding, Windsurfing, Kayaking, Sleeping at 6000ft.

Backpackers Pantry - Pasta Parm Veg. Pretty good for what it is. Not bad price $5.95. Good portions for 2.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

A few years back I gave in and bought some for a backpacking trip in the Monashees. I thought "lots of people eat 'em, how bad can they be?"

Whoops.

Came home hungry, sold the stuff, never looked at that aisle again.

And yes, I have a strong tolerance for bad stuff. Heck, I use Clif Shot gels when climbing, so you know I can put up with disgusting stuff...
post #29 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 04:46 PM

The cherry crumble by alpine aire was great cant go wrong with dessert heh

No Hiking No Peace,Know Hiking Know Peace
post #30 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 01:54 PM

Tried out a few more dehydrated sides/meals from MEC this weekend:

Mary Jane's Farm Alfredo Pasta

Flavour: 4.5 *'s
Incredible. You would never know it had been dehydrated. We threw in a small scoop of parmesean as well, which made it even better, but it's not needed.

Price: 2.5 *'s
$7.25 from MEC. Definately not a great deal, but it would feed two people if you had a side dish.

Harvest Foodworks Bannock Bread Mix

Flavour: 3.5 *'s
Great! We threw in a few teaspoons of oregano/rosemary and sprinkled parmesean cheese on top when it was done.

Price: 3 *'s
$3.50 from MEC. You could make it for cheaper obviously, but it was more convieniant this way, and fed four people. Each person had 1/2 of a 6x6x1 bread.

It's always an adventure with me in tow.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page