User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By solo75

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2021, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Ger
Scaling New Heights

Default Snowshoe purchase?

I want to buy some snowshoes so I can join a friend of mine and go snowshoeing in Kananaskis Country.
I am a beginner and want something of decent quality. I am 5' 9" and 140 lbs. If you know of some brands I might like and even a link that would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2021, 05:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Go to your local Costco and pickup some $90 Mountain-Man snowshoes.
Try them out for a few trips. If you enjoy it, then go and buy something a bit more robust and/or trendy.
I've had my Costco shoes for over 10 years now and they're still going strong. For the number of times I use them in an average year (4 or 5 times) they don't owe me anything. Something to consider if you find it necessary to buy the biggest and the best top-of-the-line equipment.

Take me onto a short pier...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2021, 11:22 PM
Summit Master

Atlas brand is good. This is their website with several options

https://atlassnowshoe.com/en-ca/c/sn...ens-snowshoes/

Right now Sportchek has a deal for Access 25
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/atl...31862286.html#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 08:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Mountain adventures, hiking, XC skiing, exploring
Red face Great Snowshoes or good enough?

I am a back country skier of five decades who always said I never would snowshoe. Wrong as usual, it has to do with my equally old partner. So why buy the great expensive snowshoes? What advantage does a premium snow shoe have over a costco cheapie? At this point I'm questioning my need to have the best of everything. Good enough usually is, except in skis.

The mountains are my cathedral, let this day be my religion
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 10:28 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaanes View Post
So why buy the great expensive snowshoes? What advantage does a premium snow shoe have over a costco cheapie? At this point I'm questioning my need to have the best of everything. Good enough usually is, except in skis.

One argument would be that you'd break down 5 costco cheapies while single premium 'shoe would still be good. Not to mention things like performance etc. In life you get what you pay for. It also comes to personal preferences; for you in skis "good enough is not good" - because skiing mattered.

I do agree though that when you are just testing the waters, cheapie might make more sense. But then I'd rent something once or twice & decide after. In general, if you can afford, it is usually better to go for quality
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Ger
Scaling New Heights

Thanks everyone for your advice. There is not much available in Calgary and a lot of the online snowshoes are sold out. I ended up purchasing this package on Amazon. I like that poles were included as my trekking poles do not have baskets and MEC didn't have any in stock. Reviewers said the quality is good.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 09:20 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I had recently look for snowshoes for someone, and I was surprised at how out-of-stock all the stores were. It's the new toilet paper!
I'm happy with my old Lightning Ascents, I find the heel lift useful, which my old Tubbs didn't have.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 04:31 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Lightning Ascents
I also have these and for our Coast Mt. scrambling are excellent. Great traction on a hill with the teeth around the entire outer frame band. Interestingly I bought the thinner width ladies models which I liked for the width which can trip you up when your tired. Im 160 lbs. My buddy has the men's model and we go out and compare, about the same float. But would these be the best for flatter land hiking with dry powder ? I grew up in Ontario and I had the big "Athabascan" style for powdery snow and "Bear Paws" for crust. If your not doing steep stuff maybe you don't need all the traction of the Lightning Ascents. It does take more work with better traction as you definitely need to lift every step, no foot dragging!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2021, 01:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I have a pair of atlas snow shoes and recently got a pair of msr explores. The msr has grips all around the edges which make them far better for doing tricky mountains in the snow but if you doing mainly flater, non technical hikes, atlas is a good brand with the "tubular" edges lol
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2021, 02:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaklucas View Post
.... But would these be the best for flatter land hiking with dry powder ?. If your not doing steep stuff maybe you don't need all the traction of the Lightning Ascents.
I use an old MSR which is similar to the Evo Ascents. It works well on dry powder as long as it's flat land. Heading up a steep incline, the snowshoes lose traction because the dry snow is not cohesive enough.
Jaaklucas likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2021, 09:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaklucas View Post
Interestingly I bought the thinner width ladies models which I liked for the width which can trip you up when your tired.
Makes sense, it all depends on the snow conditions. I once ran into an old-timer on Grouse that was raving about these mini circular snowshoes, smaller than a regular snowshoe but big enough to keep you from postholing in certain conditions.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page