ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Gotta Love Gear (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/)
-   -   Snowshoe purchase? (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/94222-snowshoe-purchase.html)

Ger 01-23-2021 03:52 PM

Snowshoe purchase?

I want to buy some snowshoes so I can join a friend of mine and go snowshoeing in Kananaskis Country.
I am a beginner and want something of decent quality. I am 5' 9" and 140 lbs. If you know of some brands I might like and even a link that would be appreciated.

Longwalk 01-24-2021 04:30 PM

Go to your local Costco and pickup some $90 Mountain-Man snowshoes.
Try them out for a few trips. If you enjoy it, then go and buy something a bit more robust and/or trendy.
I've had my Costco shoes for over 10 years now and they're still going strong. For the number of times I use them in an average year (4 or 5 times) they don't owe me anything. Something to consider if you find it necessary to buy the biggest and the best top-of-the-line equipment.

zeljkok 01-24-2021 10:22 PM

Atlas brand is good. This is their website with several options

https://atlassnowshoe.com/en-ca/c/sn...ens-snowshoes/

Right now Sportchek has a deal for Access 25
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/atl...31862286.html#

gaanes 01-26-2021 07:57 PM

Great Snowshoes or good enough?

I am a back country skier of five decades who always said I never would snowshoe. Wrong as usual, it has to do with my equally old partner. So why buy the great expensive snowshoes? What advantage does a premium snow shoe have over a costco cheapie? At this point I'm questioning my need to have the best of everything. Good enough usually is, except in skis.

zeljkok 01-26-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaanes (Post 854588)
So why buy the great expensive snowshoes? What advantage does a premium snow shoe have over a costco cheapie? At this point I'm questioning my need to have the best of everything. Good enough usually is, except in skis.

One argument would be that you'd break down 5 costco cheapies while single premium 'shoe would still be good. Not to mention things like performance etc. In life you get what you pay for. It also comes to personal preferences; for you in skis "good enough is not good" - because skiing mattered.

I do agree though that when you are just testing the waters, cheapie might make more sense. But then I'd rent something once or twice & decide after. In general, if you can afford, it is usually better to go for quality

Ger 01-27-2021 03:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. There is not much available in Calgary and a lot of the online snowshoes are sold out. I ended up purchasing this package on Amazon. I like that poles were included as my trekking poles do not have baskets and MEC didn't have any in stock. Reviewers said the quality is good.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

martin 01-27-2021 08:20 PM

I had recently look for snowshoes for someone, and I was surprised at how out-of-stock all the stores were. It's the new toilet paper!
I'm happy with my old Lightning Ascents, I find the heel lift useful, which my old Tubbs didn't have.

Jaaklucas 01-30-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 854608)
Lightning Ascents

I also have these and for our Coast Mt. scrambling are excellent. Great traction on a hill with the teeth around the entire outer frame band. Interestingly I bought the thinner width ladies models which I liked for the width which can trip you up when your tired. Im 160 lbs. My buddy has the men's model and we go out and compare, about the same float. But would these be the best for flatter land hiking with dry powder ? I grew up in Ontario and I had the big "Athabascan" style for powdery snow and "Bear Paws" for crust. If your not doing steep stuff maybe you don't need all the traction of the Lightning Ascents. It does take more work with better traction as you definitely need to lift every step, no foot dragging!;)

rachael 02-02-2021 12:30 PM

I have a pair of atlas snow shoes and recently got a pair of msr explores. The msr has grips all around the edges which make them far better for doing tricky mountains in the snow but if you doing mainly flater, non technical hikes, atlas is a good brand with the "tubular" edges lol

solo75 02-02-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaaklucas (Post 854648)
.... But would these be the best for flatter land hiking with dry powder ?. If your not doing steep stuff maybe you don't need all the traction of the Lightning Ascents.

I use an old MSR which is similar to the Evo Ascents. It works well on dry powder as long as it's flat land. Heading up a steep incline, the snowshoes lose traction because the dry snow is not cohesive enough.

martin 02-10-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaaklucas (Post 854648)
Interestingly I bought the thinner width ladies models which I liked for the width which can trip you up when your tired.

Makes sense, it all depends on the snow conditions. I once ran into an old-timer on Grouse that was raving about these mini circular snowshoes, smaller than a regular snowshoe but big enough to keep you from postholing in certain conditions.

KARVITK 03-06-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo75 (Post 854660)
I use an old MSR which is similar to the Evo Ascents. It works well on dry powder as long as it's flat land. Heading up a steep incline, the snowshoes lose traction because the dry snow is not cohesive enough.

I see the same issue; MSR snowshoes are my main ones for snowshoeing as most of the ground I cross is of harder, wetter snow.

For interior, deep powdery snow in low temperatures...........large atlas snowshoes are great for flotation on the light fluffy stuff.

K