3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kokanee75
  • 1 Post By esmeadows
  • 1 Post By ChubbyTuna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Useful gear you might not be aware of if you are european

When I'm going outdoors I usually know very well what to pack. But usually I'm hiking in Germany or elsewhere in Europe. I'm aware that some gear I don't own seems to be in standart use in Canada. Or maybe not? Please help me sort this out!

Do I need a satelite phone?
A bear proof barrel to store your food in sounds sensible. Do I still need a rope to hang it between some trees?
To this point I prefer physical maps to gps devises. Maybe I need to rethink? What do you think?
Anything else you can think of?

Tja...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Canada seems to be the land of the free for Germans - but in reality it's not. You should have a better idea where you want to go and what you want to do there before thinking about gear.
zeljkok likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Scaling New Heights

Perhaps the biggest difference between German/French/Swiss/etc hiking and the Canadian Rockies is the much lower density of human development. You will be out of cell phone range most of the time, and there are many fewer backcountry developments such as chalets, huts, shelters and footbridges.

If you stick to popular routes inside the national parks, you probably do not need a GPS or a emergency beacon, although I think they're still good ideas. Those areas are well covered by good maps and you will encounter other hikers should an emergency arise. I doubt that you would ever need a satellite phone. You must always manage your food supply with bears in mind which means hanging your food high out of reach, or using a bearproof canister stashed a good distance downwind. You can find exhaustive information about these and other topics on the Parks Canada website.

As Kokanee75 said, you can get better advice once you have a destination in mind. Many European travelers have posted here to inquire about destinations, so it would probably be worthwhile to check out past responses. Be aware that if you ask for recommendations, you will receive 100 responses with 300 opinions, and you will not have gained much. Much better to study destinations online, narrow down to a few and ask specific questions.

Scott
Marco likes this.

Scott Meadows
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 11:19 AM
dsk
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backpack stovesBackpacking

It is so extremely great differences between America and Europe, and even in USA and in Europe it is hard to make common rules. I live and has grown up in Norway and yes we have wolfs, bears and poisonous snakes, but I do not carry any weapon or other things against them. They run away if they can and do usually not harm people. When I visited California I was told to not go without a gun. We are allowed to walk almost where we want, and do not have to follow trails, we may put up our tent for 3 nights wherever we want in the wilderness without asking, but we may not light a campfire between April 15 and September 15. Stoves are usually OK, but we have almost no traditions with white gas. And of course it is free to use the wildness, but fishing and hunting costs and has a lot of rules. Carrying a weapon are extremely strict, and you need to prov regulary that you are safe, and capable to own them.
The most dangerous I meet in the wilderness is the ticks! (, and other people?)

Regards from Norway
(and of course you are welcome )
dsk

. . . . . . .
Favourite link: http://www.spiritburner.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 04:01 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It is so extremely great differences between America and Europe, and even in USA and in Europe it is hard to make common rules. I live and has grown up in Norway and yes we have wolfs, bears and poisonous snakes, but I do not carry any weapon or other things against them. They run away if they can and do usually not harm people. When I visited California I was told to not go without a gun. We are allowed to walk almost where we want, and do not have to follow trails, we may put up our tent for 3 nights wherever we want in the wilderness without asking, but we may not light a campfire between April 15 and September 15. Stoves are usually OK, but we have almost no traditions with white gas. And of course it is free to use the wildness, but fishing and hunting costs and has a lot of rules. Carrying a weapon are extremely strict, and you need to prov regulary that you are safe, and capable to own them.
The most dangerous I meet in the wilderness is the ticks! (, and other people?)

Regards from Norway
(and of course you are welcome )
dsk

That is quite good summary dsk. Comment re "don't go without gun". This is part of whole US gun culture that is not easy to understand if you live somewhere else in the world. Amazingly enough during current pandemic gun shops were deemed essential service.

Re ticks -- its prime tick season now in Rockies.

Hope all is well in Norway. Cheers!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Scaling New Heights

When I hiked into the Kakwa Wildland Provincial Park last June, I was asked by two different local people on different days if I were carrying a gun. I did encounter three bears in 4 days. Never felt the need for a gun.

Scott Meadows
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 12:25 PM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
That is quite good summary dsk. Comment re "don't go without gun". This is part of whole US gun culture that is not easy to understand if you live somewhere else in the world. Amazingly enough during current pandemic gun shops were deemed essential service.

Re ticks -- its prime tick season now in Rockies.

Hope all is well in Norway. Cheers!
While itís legal to carry a gun in Yosemite National Park, itís illegal to discharge one. Thatís the only way the Parks Admin could get around ďthe Consitutional rightĒ

It is also illegal to carry Bear spray in Yosemite while in Western Canada youíre pretty much urged to always carry it.

I started carrying the blasted heavy bear canister in California but have found that itís pretty handy in BC as well vs using gross Bear Lockers or trying to hang.

I always carry my InReach, along with paper maps, not that my navigational skills with them is very good yet. I always say Iím going to practice and then end up doing other hiking chores.

Considering itís probably much less populated on even our busiest trails, compared to Europe, Iíd say the visitor must do classics are (if youíre lucky enough to get permits)
Berg Lake/Mt Robson
Assiniboine
The Rockwall
Day Hikes: Lake Louise/six Plains (yes- super crowded so get up really early or go late), Skyline
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

I think a Garmin inReach is much more practical than a satellite phone and it's smaller and lighter too. You can text from it and you can have your friends or family track your progress throughout your trip. You can even get weather updates.
CEB likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page