• 1 Post By spacemonkey
  • 1 Post By russellcoffin
  • 2 Post By Kokanee75

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Osprey Atmos 65 AG

Well my search continues

I did purchase a Gregory Paragon 68L. Trail tested it on a backpack recently. What feels good in the store does not necessarily ring true on the trail. Had issues with the pack digging into my right shoulder on the backpack out to the car(14 K Russet lake).

I am now looking at Atmos 65AG. It is mostly getting good reviews. Although there seems to be one recurring complaint. The anti gravity mesh that extends into the hip belt. Creates a sore spot on some peoples hips due to the cable that runs along the top and bottom inside the the belt. I take it these cables give the belt structure and support. Has anyone had experience with this pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I have this pack and I love it. I have used it on the Stein and the North coast trail for 8 nights each trip and many 2-3 night trips in between. It carries all my gear plus 17 pounds of extra camera gear no problem. I have nothing but good things to say other then it can squeak when under a heavy load.
Crash likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:13 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

Mine squeaks too. Annoying, otherwise I love the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I have this pack and I love it. I have used it on the Stein and the North coast trail for 8 nights each trip and many 2-3 night trips in between. It carries all my gear plus 17 pounds of extra camera gear no problem. I have nothing but good things to say other then it can squeak when under a heavy load.
Crash likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanal01 View Post
The same to you
I have a hard time believing someone named botanal01 commenting on a thread that makes no sense is a real person.... Is this what CT has sunk too? This site is in a sad state and I wish the owners would do something to bring it to its former glory.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I have a hard time believing someone named botanal01 commenting on a thread that makes no sense is a real person.... Is this what CT has sunk too? This site is in a sad state and I wish the owners would do something to bring it to its former glory.
Absolutely no advice where the pack is concerned "botanal01"?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Scaling New Heights

A few years back, I was flipping between the osprey aether 60 and the atmos ag. Picked the aether as is seemed more durable and I wasn't so sure that the atmos mesh would remain supportive and would be durable over the years.

Are you guys feeling good about the atmos after a couple years' use?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Zpacks

Update; I did eventually buy the Atmos 65. But I am now considering the Zpacks Arc haul. Only if to cut my overall weight. It comes in at just 2 lbs including some of the added accessories. Whereas the Atmos weighs in at four plus pounds. However the Arc haul is going to cost at least $100.00 more.

My question, is it worth the price for the weight savings?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Update; I did eventually buy the Atmos 65. But I am now considering the Zpacks Arc haul. Only if to cut my overall weight. It comes in at just 2 lbs including some of the added accessories. Whereas the Atmos weighs in at four plus pounds. However the Arc haul is going to cost at least $100.00 more.

My question, is it worth the price for the weight savings?
I do not suggest getting the Zpacks Arc Haul. They are significantly more fragile than the Osprey, and people in the past year have had horrible problems with their customer service. I have seen them respond to people with broken zippers by sending them a youtube video of how to replace a zipper.

However, back to your first question, I do think the weight savings are worth the money. There are plenty of other alternatives that are considerably more durable and the same weight. I purchased a custom Superior Wilderness Designs Long Haul 50L last year and it came out to $350 including shipping and duties to Canada. Pack came in at 1 pound, 15 ounces. I was able to customize pretty much everything and added a few accessories. It has been fantastic and I purchased through Garage Grown Gear. There are multiple other cottage companies that do the same great work that have much better customer service. One of the best things that osprey does is their return policy - Z packs, not so much.
Crash likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

russellcoffin

Thanks for the reply and info. I will look into Superior Wilderness Design, was that $350 Canadian? Also, thanks for the heads up on the poor customer service.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:47 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I got a 3f ul gear pack from aliexpress - Trajectory 55 (beware they have several versions but all the others look too complicated with using a pad or no stretchy side pockets etc....) - for trying this kind of "ul" backpack (I know already that I am not a huge fan of rolltop closures but I like the huge outer pockets). It wasn't super cheap but with Xpac fabric - which in my experience with a hip belt pouch is pretty durable. And some kind of padding at the back.

Only used it for a city trip with day trips which works fine (without the aluminum inserts to make sure that it meets the requirements for carry-on). It is a bit narrow so it would build up higher than I like when full, but on the other hand your gear should be "adjusted" for this kind of backpack as well. I guess it performs better with the inserts, generally you have to put more effort into packing accordingly.
Crash and russellcoffin like this.

Last edited by Kokanee75; 12-09-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page