"Scarpa Freney Pro" boots, Any Good? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Default "Scarpa Freney Pro" boots, Any Good?

I appreciate any comments on the Scarpa Freney Pro. Has anybody used these boots?

If you have used them, what do they compare to? How stiff are they? Would you recommend them?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

They are climbing boots - not really hiking boots.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

You could use 'em for hiking, but I doubt they'd ever break in to the point where you could make good distances without tearing your feet up. Are you looking for a hiking boot or an alpine climber? Do you need crampon compatability? How far do you need to go? There are some big boots that take semi auto crampons and can make some decent distances, like the Salomon SM Lite, but it's still a pretty big stiff boot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:03 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spectator

I appreciate any comments on the Scarpa Freney Pro. Has anybody used these boots?

If you have used them, what do they compare to? How stiff are they? Would you recommend them?

Cheers
They are mountaineering boots...not hiking boots. If you want some thing to be used for hiking you will be wasting your money on these...unless you want to look hardcore. I have the older Freney's and although they are absolutely fantastic on technical climbs and scrambly type stuff they are very uncomfortable on long hikes.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

I have the Freney Lites, which are typically described as a "cross-over" boot. They were bought as a replacement for my lighter Mantas and were rather pleasingly marked down in price(the VPO CT gear event). I have found them to be very comfortable, in fact supplanting my dedicated light hikers, but the caveat is that my feet resemble failed genetic experiments anyway, so what works for me may not work for you. In any case, They only have maybe 15 hikes or so thus far, so any problems may not have manifested yet. Mine actually don't seem much stiffer than the Mantas, but I haven't had a chance to try them with my flexis yet (have worked well with my MSR snowshoes, although I've heard that the asymmetry of the boots sometimes causes problems with the MSR lacing and platform).

Like any boots, I would simply recommend that you try lots of pairs on and go with what works for the applications you're looking for. Not very helpful, I know, but I can at least say that I've gone through a few pairs of Scarpas and found them to generally be good boots.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page