• 1 Post By CEB
  • 1 Post By solo75
  • 1 Post By Crash
  • 1 Post By Crash

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Granite Gear Blaze

As to the title, I am looking at purchasing a Granite Gear Blaze 60L pack. But before I do I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this pack?
I am currently using an Osprey Xenith 88L pack. It weighs in at 5.8 lbs. The blaze weighs just a little over 3 lbs. I want to trim some overall weight from my camping equipment. My concern is by dropping 15 liters, will I lose too much space? Although I do realize that the weight savings do come at a cost.

Last edited by Crash; 06-19-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Just consider what do you have to leave behind if you reduce your pack size, or rethink how you carry and what you take along for dehydrated foods..

K
Crash likes this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:03 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

I bought a Granite Gear Crown online: https://drop.com/buy/51160

I was really impressed by it for such a light pack but, unfortunately, the torso on the regular is really long so my impression is that they make their packs for taller people and I have a really short torso. I believe the blaze has a bit more padding and an adjustable torso.

My thinking with buying it is that there are so few light packs in Canada that I should be able to re-sell it fairly easily so not a big deal buying something like that to try.

Sorry- meant to also give input on the volume question. I hike with a 55L pack and, unless I was winter camping, I wouldn’t want to go much bigger (but that might be the small torso thing again). Having said that, getting the volume down in your gear, or amount of stuff you carry, is personal and also money/tolerance related to some degree. If you have alot of stuff a lightweight pack will never be as comfy, i’d think, so you have to make a few decisions with what you currently carry- do you just have too manty things and you can get rid of them to have less/lighter or do you need to re-buy items that have less volume or weight? Hope that made sense
Crash likes this.

Last edited by CEB; 05-24-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

CEB

Thanks for your review and opinions on the pack. Over the years I have been updating my gear with an emphasis on saving weight. I am in no way going ultra light as the sacrifices may impact my overall backpacking experience. But I do want to shave some weight. You and KARVITK have made some good suggestions which I am exploring and implementing.

So basically I need my sleep system, tent, cooking gear, fuel, water treatment(and storage), clothes and food to fit into a 60L pack.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
My concern is by dropping 15 liters, will I lose too much space?
I guess it depends on how many days you plan on backpacking and how compact your equipment is. I had an old Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude years ago which had a capacity of 56 litres and it was adequate for 3 to 4 days since the sleeping bag I had at the time was a Western Mountaineering which weighed little over 1 lb and compacted to a very small volume and my stove was the mini trangia alcohol stove. I think Granite Gear updated their material because the one I had was made of Sil-nylon and it eventually developed small holes. The pack was quite comfortable if I didn't carry much weight but one thing I didn't like was that the bottom of the bag would sag quite a bit when loaded since, in my opinion, there wasn't enough structural support there. I'm not sure if that would be the case with the present packs.
Crash likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Well I made a final decision and bought the Gregory Paragon 68L. It weighs in at just over 3.5 pounds. My Osprey Xenith 88L is very close to 6 pounds. Have not trail tested it yet. The smaller capacity is going to make me pack smarter. That is for sure ; ) Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and input.

I made an attempt to see the Granite gear pack. But both rei stores I visited did not stock them. Both rei and mec are streamlining their stock.

Well I trail tested the pack(Paragon) on a camp at Russet lake late last week. As you know there are some steeper sections and narrow uneven paths on this trip. This helped to test the packs stability and wear ability. While initially the pack was stable. At a certain point I noticed the pack rubbing against my right shoulder. Had to loosen the load lifters to sway the pack away from the now tender area. The hip belt was also not all that comfortable especially when you are doing 12 to 14 kilometers.

I did have to order the pack online from mec as the Langley store did not stock it. I did not get a proper fitting with this pack at the store. Unfortunately mec has moved away from a dedicated focus on the outdoors to a more urban target retail approach. It is too bad mec used to be my go to store.
treord8 likes this.

Last edited by Crash; 09-11-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
I bought a Granite Gear Crown online: https://drop.com/buy/51160

I was really impressed by it for such a light pack but, unfortunately, the torso on the regular is really long so my impression is that they make their packs for taller people and I have a really short torso. I believe the blaze has a bit more padding and an adjustable torso.

My thinking with buying it is that there are so few light packs in Canada that I should be able to re-sell it fairly easily so not a big deal buying something like that to try.

Sorry- meant to also give input on the volume question. I hike with a 55L pack and, unless I was winter camping, I wouldn’t want to go much bigger (but that might be the small torso thing again). Having said that, getting the volume down in your gear, or amount of stuff you carry, is personal and also money/tolerance related to some degree. If you have alot of stuff a lightweight pack will never be as comfy, i’d think, so you have to make a few decisions with what you currently carry- do you just have too manty things and you can get rid of them to have less/lighter or do you need to re-buy items that have less volume or weight? Hope that made sense
I did go ahead and order the Granite Gear crown from Drop. So that puts me at two backpacks now. I still have the Osprey Atmos 65l. I don't mind though as I will give both a try. Doesn't hurt to have a spare to lend out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 08:43 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

Crash,
I will be interested to hear how things go with the Granite Gear pack.

I looked carefully at Gossamer Gear -- yet another lighter-weight option -- pack construction during the recent sale and decided against it. (My pack has been an Osprey Luna 70, 6.x lb, awful pack weight.) In part the frame support was a question mark, in part the pockets had no closures but were sort of stretchy envelopes on the outside of the pack. I don't want to lose stuff.
In the course of searching, I found GearTrade.com, which looks like a reputable site for new or used gear.
Some Osprey packs offer switchable belts and harnesses in different sizes.

It's my impression REI is moving into services: adventure travel (pricing is right up there with Sierra Club), skills classes, avvy classes, climbing guides.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 12:25 AM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I did go ahead and order the Granite Gear crown from Drop. So that puts me at two backpacks now. I still have the Osprey Atmos 65l. I don't mind though as I will give both a try. Doesn't hurt to have a spare to lend out.
Yeah, I hear you. My newest pack purchase is an REI Flash 55 (53L really, in the XS) and I just took it out for a spin today. It might do the trick. Really thoughtful features, 2lbs 9oz so not super light but far from heavy. Hoping this is my lucky pack finally. Good luck to you!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
Yeah, I hear you. My newest pack purchase is an REI Flash 55 (53L really, in the XS) and I just took it out for a spin today. It might do the trick. Really thoughtful features, 2lbs 9oz so not super light but far from heavy. Hoping this is my lucky pack finally. Good luck to you!
My wife tried on the flash in the Bellingham REI. It is a well thought out pack and it is approaching an ultra light status. My only concern is when you go lighter. There seems to be concessions made with the padding and suspension. However if the packs fits you good. Then mission accomplished.Good luck with your flash.
CEB likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page